Ethanol Gas question - carburetor

Replaced the quadrajet on the 77 because the fuel would boil out after shutdown. The new 800 cfm Edelbrock was no better and worse hot starts. If I let it idle for a couple minutes during hot weather it`s better. The temp guage reads 180 consistently. Fuel injection suffers none of these problems due to the high pressure. Case in point, look at the vapor lock problems in air cooled engines in hot weather.

I've dealt with carbureted engines my entire life. Never had any driveability issues from using blended gas. Letting one sit with blended gas for long periods is one thing, but it's driven somewhat regularly, I can't see why an issue. I know a lot of the rebuild kits have ethanol compatible gaskets and seals in them now.

I just realized only one of my vehicles is carbureted... two, if you include the mower LOL :D
The XR400 has never had issues due to E10 fuel. But also, I use fuel additives in the small engines.

Well, I have no idea what the car does with the information from an O2 sensor. The only electrical connector on that carburetor is for the choke.

If I had access to Alldata or Mitchell's I'd look it up (I used to know someone who had it on their shop computer). It's interesting to look at how these old vehicles worked. That may have been an EEC-III vehicle, but there was also EEC-I and EEC-II.

Replaced the quadrajet on the 77 because the fuel would boil out after shutdown. The new 800 cfm Edelbrock was no better and worse hot starts. If I let it idle for a couple minutes during hot weather it`s better. The temp guage reads 180 consistently. Fuel injection suffers none of these problems due to the high pressure. Case in point, look at the vapor lock problems in air cooled engines in hot weather.
I feel a little better when I read about this problem existing in other cars. Of all the stuff I had to fix on cars, that was the oddest. Interesting that you mention air cooled issues....my '74 Beetle had no issues in Texas during the summer. When I could barely stand to drive it because of the heat, it ran like a top.

I feel a little better when I read about this problem existing in other cars. Of all the stuff I had to fix on cars, that was the oddest. Interesting that you mention air cooled issues....my '74 Beetle had no issues in Texas during the summer. When I could barely stand to drive it because of the heat, it ran like a top.
The carb on my 66 VW was above the engine high enough to not have the same issues the carb right next to a hot cylinder on a small engine had IMHO.

It was about a 70 degree, completely overcast day. The pipe from the heat riser was missing and I was in no rush to replace it.

It was just interesting to me that this was the car's first tank of Shell, and it was also the first time the car became un-drivable due to boiling fuel in the bowls. Thanks for the clarification on E10. It just make me wonder what was going on with that tank of gas.

Someone suggested that I should've bought a Holley for it, as there is an adapter plate out there for the 3.3. I'm just not that great with carbs, which is the reason I had a pro re-build it, and that engine was little more than a boat anchor in my eyes.

I hope the new owner dropped a Coyote in it. LOL

View attachment 41578
Those were not boat anchors at all. They were one of the best engines ever built. If they still had them today with modern fuel injection we would be reading about them going 1million miles

Those were not boat anchors at all. They were one of the best engines ever built. If they still had them today with modern fuel injection we would be reading about them going 1million miles
All the power of the 2.3, all the gas mileage of the 5.0. Indestructible....I'll give you that, but so are most engines that can't make enough power to hurt themselves.

My 1965 VW beetle boils fuel in the carb and floods everytime I drive on the interstate and then park it. I expect it to happen so I just hold gas pedal down to de-flood when I restart. Just normal with ethanol and a carb.

If you didn't clean out the tank, it's also possible that the fuel filter got plugged up. Both of my Mustangs had the 3.3 straight six and they both needed fuel filter changes every 6 months, sometimes sooner. If I didn't stay on top of this, they would starve for fuel and act just like you described. You would not believe the gunk that came out of those used fuel filters. Ugh.

Back