Ethanol Free

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been running some ethanol free gasoline from the Farm Co-Op here in town. I've been told it was better than the gas blended with ethanol for some reason. The brand is Cenex.

It gives better fuel economy, at least in my cars. About 1mpg lost when I use 10% ethanol. Otherwise I notice no difference.

Ethanol free gas is better because it:

- gives better fuel economy
- is less volatile (less of a chance of hard starting if your car sits for a while)
- doesn't feed the corrupt ethanol lobby

thumbsup2.gif

I don't disagree with you, but your car would have to sit a long time (months) before it would start hard.

Cenex diesel fuel is really good stuff. They pride themselves in their quality. I would expect their gas to be held to the highest standards as well. Dunno on the ethanol.

I like ethanol free gas since it doesn't support the corn-ethanol lobby, and my Buick gets noticeably better mileage on ethanol-free gas. I do track mileage every tank, and have for the past 4 years.

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
The ethanol blend midgrade is actually a penny less than the regular at the Cenex out by our farm.

That's because ethanol is subsidized by the Federal government.

I still don't have a problem with ethanol gas. All new 'technologies' go through an 'akward' phase where they are more expensive and cumbersome that the existing method. At least ethanol boosters are TRYING to get us off non-renewable petrol.

I don't see anyone complaining about hybrids; they take something like over 150k of driving to actually save you money, but everyone sings their praises....

Ethanol for fuel is nothing new. Hasn't Brazil done it for many years?

The problem here is not the concept of ethanol as a fuel. Rather there are issues with the actual net energy gained, and the use of food crops (even if it would be animal food) and crop land.

Then there are the subsidies skewing the economics.

There are also very high tariffs on imported ethanol that is made from sugar cane. If the US didn't tax imported ethanol so much, the economics would be even better than with the subsidies. I think that the cane ethanol tariffs originate with the Louisiana sugar growers and predate the corn ethanol subsidies.

Originally Posted By: BearZDefect

The problem here is not the concept of ethanol as a fuel. Rather there are issues with the actual net energy gained, and the use of food crops (even if it would be animal food) and crop land.

Then there are the subsidies skewing the economics.

This isn't just animal food. Corn is in about everything that humans consume.

Car and driver originally said 70k per year for 7 years for a prius vs a sentry. Longer than the average driver even owns their car, excluding collectibles. I'm thinking a used car requiring a coupla grand for a new battery pack on top of anything else that has worn out won't be quite so popular as it was new. It'd be nice to see diesel/biodiesel hybrids here in the us.

I'd love to see a blending of VW TDI with Toyota hybrid technology.

I lose 2-5% MPG with ethanol. Hate it. Read an independent 'alcohol content' test a while ago. Many stations are cheating and adding more then the 10% label. Most stations were up to 12-13%. Not good. Ethanol content needs to be policed.

Ethanol usage should be a choice. Too bad narrow minded corrupt politicians force these laws.

unDummy, I don't like ethanol in my gasoline either, and very much dislike how it increases fuel consumption.

Policing ethanol content might be futile, since some are pushing for 15% anyway. But how would stations individually increase ethanol content? Are they adding some E85 to the regular tanks?

I wish the gov would turn it around, and set it at maximum 5% in regular gasoline, and let E85 users drink up the larger share.

Originally Posted By: unDummy
I lose 2-5% MPG with ethanol. Hate it. Read an independent 'alcohol content' test a while ago. Many stations are cheating and adding more then the 10% label. Most stations were up to 12-13%. Not good. Ethanol content needs to be policed.

I honestly wouldnt believe everything you read. Ethanol is more expensive than gasoline so unless its mandatory the station will run whats cheapest and pocket the savings. A while back when ethanol was cheaper there were some issues with distributors selling more than 10% ethanol.

Originally Posted By: Dyoel182
... Ethanol is more expensive than gasoline so unless its mandatory the station will run whats cheapest and pocket the savings...
Then why is E85 cheaper than gasoline? I thought the subsidies make it cheaper.

Do the stations normally blend in ethanol anyway? I thought the distributor does that per regional requirements. Of course if ethanol is optional and cheaper, the distributor will add it to cheapen the fuel.

I wish I could find some Ethanol free gas. My 1986 EFI 5.0 F150 does not agree with the tiny amounts they put in. It's not that I notice so much in performance, it's that it purely gets worse gas mileage. And I can only hope that small amount of ethanol in the gasoline doesn't damage any of my fuel system parts.

For stratton PN 100023 and test away.

Whether its the gas station, the distributor, or some blender, is irrelevant. We are being taken by ignorant bliss.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back