Ester or PAO 75W-85?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last edited:
In Florida, you could almost certainly use commonly-available 75w-90 hypoid in your Lexus's rear diff without any issue.

In "Minnesota", you could almost certainly use commonly-available 75w-90 hypoid gear oil in your Lexus's rear diff without any issue.

I wouldn't
Originally Posted by khittner
In Florida, you could almost certainly use commonly-available 75w-90 hypoid in your Lexus's rear diff without any issue.

Absolutely. In fact, in Florida I'd be happier with just straight 80w unless I was driving to Buffalo or Grosse Pointe routinely in the middle of winter, or towing horses with the vehicle in an Ocala summer.

I wouldn't use either of those oils personally. I do like Ravenol a lot, but the price is nose-bleed for what you need. Walmart has TWO choices of full synthetic 75w90 gear oils, SuperTech at $6/quart and Valvoline SynPower at ~$10/qt. Either one of those would be good.

Next question, though - since you are talking about a rear diff in a Lexus, is it an IS, GS, or LS and how hard is it driven and does it have an LSD? That changes things and I think some of those models do, and some don't.

OTOH, if you strictly want an answer to PAO vs. Ester, I'm always a fan of ester as it has heat transfer (cooling) and seal/gasket protection properties other oils don't. I supplement even my Mobil 1 engine oil with an ester additive, and transmissions and PS systems, too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Redline or Amsoil for boutique and Valvoline Synpower or M1 for off the shelf. Don't spend any more time than that worrying about it!

My choice would be Liqui Moly 75w90 GL5. I got it for my Mother's Nissan Rogue. It is a simple vehicle to get gear oil for because the differential and transfer case take the same stuff. It is fairly expensive but if you look around on the web there are some places that sell it somewhat cheaper. It does have a somewhat strong smelling additive package. They say that the bad smell is that additive package. I found that a Napa near me had the stuff I needed so I got it there. Someone must have reserved a couple because this comes 6 bottles to a case and there were 3 there. Even if you reserve one bottle of some stuff in there they will often have to take a full case and take that one you reserved out of it. The rest of it sits on the shelves forever unless it is a popular item. Note that this oil does not have the limited slip additive just incase you need that in yours.

RL 75W85 with higher KV40/KV100 and polyol ester base for its higher MOFT and components protection, other than its stronger claim of J 2360 specs.
Personally I would prefer 75W/80W-90 grades in Florida.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back