75W-85 Gear Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking for recommendations on a full-synthetic 75W-85 gear oil. Applications would be: 1) Rear Diff and T-Case on Toyota/Lexus SUVs 2) Out of warranty MB vehicles requiring a 235.7 75W85.

I have the following options available to me:

1) Redline 75W-85 (supposedly this used to be sold under the label of Lightweight Gear Oil)
https://www.redlineoil.com/Content/files/tech/75W85_GO_PROD_INFO.pdf

2) Motul MotylGear 75W-85 (this product supposedly serves as a dual-purpose MT lube and Diff Oil, not sure how this is possible since Diff Oil and MT lube have different frictional properties)
https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/...Motylgear_75W-85__28GB_29.pdf?1492017806

Price is somewhat similar between the two; Redline is $29/gal and Motul is $10/L.

I am open to other options as well.

Thanks.

Other alternatives could be also Kia/Hyundai 75w85...gl4...

Edit: forget it...you need gl5 or at least gl4/5 oil to cover diffs...

Last edited:
Any GL5 rated lube of the specified weight and requirements will do. Your gears won't notice the difference and your Toyota won't last any longer with a high priced product.

M1 75W90, unless it is for a customers car then the recommended oil is the proper choice

Ravenol looks good but I would use Amsoil Severe Gear® 75W-90. Notice the squirt bottle cap....very, very convenient!

SVGPK.jpeg

Last edited:
I used Severe Gear in my 18 Highlander. It called for 75w85 but I used 75w90. No issues to report. I like the easy squeeze bags pictured above. Makes it really easy to fill.

I recently asked a similiar question; looking for differential fill for our GS350 F Sport with 60K miles.
Gonna use Red Line 75w85 partially because that is the Toyota viscosity and it got strong recommendations.
I believe any quality gear oil would be fine; the difference between 75w85 and 75w90 has to be minimal at best.

Originally Posted by Diesel12
Those new squeeze bags are pretty dang sweet!

Just did 3 of "my" cars and I got the giggles it was so much fun. One thing, don't squeeze the bottle like you are trying to kill it. Just gently squeeze.

Originally Posted by Gebo

Just did 3 of "my" cars and I got the giggles it was so much fun. One thing, don't squeeze the bottle like you are trying to kill it. Just gently squeeze.

I just wish the 75w-110 was available in the squeeze package.

Originally Posted by dogememe

They are reusable...

Originally Posted by dogememe

They are reusable...

Hmmm good point - why didn't I think of that? lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back