ESSO XD-3 0w30 SYNTHETIC OIL INITIAL THOUGHTS

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by BlazerLT:
The product data sheet for the Esso XD-3 states it is for diesel and gasoline engines and is not targeted directly towards either.

While I agree that XD-3 oils look like fantastic oils for gas engines, any oil that is rated CI-4 is probably being targeted more towards the diesel crowd. The SL rating is a bonus that allows them to expand their market.

You are using the 0w30 right?

If you are using the 0w40 we really can't compare them seeing they are quite different.

Sorry, to clarify, yes I will be using the 0w30. I used the 0w40 for my first oil change and it sheared quite badly. The UOA is in the diesel section. The 6.0 PSD is very tough on oil viscosity, I'm curious if the smaller viscosity spread of the 0w30 will help it to stay in grade.

I have found that my milage has decreased from approx. 605 km/50L on Mobil 1 5W30 to around 520 km/50L Esso XD-3 0w30 in my Acura RSX Type-S driving 60/40 city/freeway. Indeed the Esso does not have the API Certification for energy conserving so this is not surprising.

I really don't know if this is significant in any way considering that the mobil 1 milage was taken after 10000 km on this oil, and the Esso milage was taken in only its first 520 km. Can anyone comment?

Would it be of any use to mix mobil 1 0w30 with Esso XD-3 0w30 50/50 in my next oil change interval?

Regards,
AJWan

Energy Conserving rating will not cause a 80km difference per tankfull. That is drastic and oil can not cause that.

What you are more than likely seeing is the colder air temperatures having your engine run more rich which is completely normal.

My '99 Passat 1.8T averages 8.2L/100km (29 miles/US gal.) in the summer and 9.5L/100km (26 miles/US gal.) in the winter. My '92 Nissan Sentra averages 30.5 mpg in the summer and 28 mpg in the winter. Winter definitely affects fuel consumption.

Sorry.... Some of my math was wrong. My Sentra gets a winter average 27 mpg, not 28. That's a difference of 75 km/ tank (50 litre tank) between summer and winter.

Yip, you are backing what I am trying to say so thank you.

A drop in temperature of 20-25c will drastically change the fuel curve since the Intake Air Temperature Sensor will sense cold and send in more fuel.

Please keep in mind that us Canadians also get "Winter" gas from November on. Winter gas is less potent for a lack of better term.

Therefore quite a bit of the decrease in mileage we associate with cold weather is in great part caused by the fuel we put into our cars.

-Paul

So are ALL gas station/companies required by law to mix in a greater proportion of ethanol in their gas in the winter months?

I use Shell Optimax Gold 91 here in Ottawa. Am I correct in presuming that in the spring/summer, Shell does not put any ethanol in their gas?

If what you all are saying is true, then it's probably a combination of lower ambient temperatures together with an ethanol blended winter gasoline that's causing increased fuel consumption.

With regards to the temperature sensor, someone mentioned that it makes the fuel/air mixture to become richer with a decrease in ambient temperature. What is the advantage in this?

Regards,
AJWan

quote:

Originally posted by olympic:
Cold air contains more oxygen than warm air so more fuel is needed.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Olympic, did you notice any difference in consumption with your Vibe?

I'm not the only one who drives it so I can't really tell. I doubt mileage was affected since it does mostly city driving. But I do know that the engine is quieter now when cold than with M1 or Amsoil.

I don't really buy into the whole gas mileage debate anymore, especially between oils in the same grade. When I went from dino to Amsoil S2K, the difference was less than 1mpg and well within statistical error and normal driving variables.

I have the 0W30 in three gas engines for a month now. there was no noticeable difference with the previous M1 5W30. Honda 2.2 and 3.2 and Nissan 3.3.

This is good information.

I too am not noticing any reduction in fuel economy.

But man, the engine is a lot quieter.

The lack of "energy conserving" in this 0-30 is not hurting my Altima's gas economy, especially in this summer like weather this Nov. Plus 17C last few days. Have not even gotten around to putting the 0-40 XD3 syn in my diesel, beggining to think I can run 15-40 XD3 dino all winter by look of weather.

Cyprs

Don't count on that.

you have a cold front coming down from the arctic as we speak.

Remember, it is only the start of November, we should be seeing really cold temperatures this year. It is already colder lately than last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back