Esso LT 71141 Roulette

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm the original owner of a 2002 BMW 540 w/170k mi. and a ZF 5HP-24 automatic transmission. This vehicle has a Dinan ECU and transmission software tune, additionally the transmission has been serviced 3 times by a local independent shop using LT 71141 approved fluid each time (either Esso branded or Pentosin ATF1). Currently I am experiencing a harder than normal initial upshift from 1st to 2nd when cold and am considering another filter/fluid service which I will perform myself to hopefully improve shift feeling and as it has been about +30k mi. since last service. Typical service takes about 6 qt. of ATF fluid. My current ATF stash includes 1 lt. of Esso LT 71141, 6 qt. of Mag1 Multi-Vehicle Low-Vis ATF and gallons of Maxlife Dex/Merc. The Mag1 and Maxlife are labeled "suitable for use" in this tranny. The Scotch-Irish in me says use what you have in a combo of the Esso and supplement with either the Mag1 or Maxlife. My questions to this group are 1) Is this a sound strategy 2) Has anyone here used the Mag1 in this transmission and what has been your experience?

I have no experience with that transmission or fluid, but I am not a fan of using fluid that is called "suitable for", unless it's the car's manufacturer calling it that. I prefer to use an approved (or licensed) fluid, especially in a high-mileage unit.

My ex has gotten 190,000 miles out of her 2003 Mercury Marauder by using various brands of fluid, but they were all licensed Mercon V products. SuperTech, Motorcraft, Castrol, and Valvoline (back when Valvoline made a licensed product, which their current offering is not).

I would only use the LT71141 fluid in that ZF.

Sounds like you may have something else going on. I've had four speed ZF's and have a 6 speed presently, and I've never had one hard shift, unless it was called for.

Maybe you should put the stock transmission tune back in.

The delayed and firmer upshift when cold is actually normal - the same thing happens in my A6 with the 5HP19FLA.

I've used ATF1 in the past, and it was average at best. I've tried a couple of multi-vehicle ATFs and the best one was MaxLife by far. I'd also recommend adding in Lubegard Red, as that helped with my slight shudder on the 2-3 upshift as the torque converter is able to lock in gears 3-5. The locking at the same time as shifting gave the shudder, but the LG Red fixed it.

Maxlife is now a low viscosity ATF, so I'd say any low vis you have would be good. My last D&F was with a normal 7.5cP ATF and I did notice that it's a bit more sluggish when warming up versus the Maxlife.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back