Equilon Havoline oil ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

BC

I've read almost every post on this site and think it is the best source of info available. Thanks a lot guys!
So, here's my question.
I read in most of the posts that Havoline/Equilon (my dino oil of choice) is not as good as Havoline/Chevron oil. In my area of the country (WV) Equilon oil is all that is available. If you look up the specs on the Shell/Equilon site, Havoline(Equilon) oil has better specs on paper than Castrol, Pennzoil, and Mobil Drive Clean. The only dino oil I see that outshines it is Chevron oil.
Anyone have any insights on this subject. I know we need oil analysis to really be accurate and I may provide some very soon. I've always thought Havoline to be a very good dino oil, until lately when it started getting bashed because of Equilon.
I know this post is hard to follow, but blame the oil companies for that. Everything is so mixed up now, it's impossible to have any brand loyalty. 25 years ago, you knew who you were dealing with, now you have no idea at all.
And last, what about that Castrol website, is that a joke or what? They may make a pretty good oil, but you'd never know it from the website. If that's all they can afford, I'd just shut the website down and put the money into quality oil.
Thanks

[ December 08, 2002, 10:55 AM: Message edited by: BC ]

Scary huh?? I think it all boils down that we consider the facts and based on facts we have come to some of the same conclusions. If you go over to the Edmunds board you still see that the main players over there are stuck in quicksand. No changing them
frown.gif
. Needless to say Bob has had something to do with our newfound enlightment.
patriot.gif

Why get hooked on a brand anymore? Most of them are yesterdays news. It seems that the Chevron IsoSyn puts up excellent numbers as well as the Supreme 10W-30. Obviously you can't rule out the Shaeffers Blend. I used to be extremely Loyal to Mobil 1-not anymore. I'm trying the Shaeffers (Moly Pure Syn), Delvac 1, (OK-I know its Mobil
grin.gif
), and the Rotella Syn (Pretend Group III)-5W-40. I am also continuing to use the Mobil 1. I take care of 7 cars (extended family).

Al, you and I are so much alike I think we were seperated at birth!
grin.gif
We both like the K&N oil filters, and we both used to be die hard Mobil 1 fans, but now are trying out other oils. I now run Schaeffer blend in my Firebird, Royal Purple in my wife's Honda and am testing out Mobil 1 in my mom's and sister's cars. I'll probably try them out on other oils too, they can be my guinea pigs!
grin.gif
(they get a good deal out of it, I'll pay for their oil!)
smile.gif

Quote:
"I've always thought Havoline to be a very good dino oil, until lately when it started getting bashed because of Equilon.
I know this post is hard to follow, but blame the oil companies for that. Everything is so mixed up now, it's impossible to have any brand loyalty. 25 years ago, you knew who you were dealing with, now you have no idea at all."

Havoline was and is a good oil,,problem is no one knows what Shell will do to it,maybe bad,maybe good,maybe they will leave it alone ?Actually I am not sure they will be able to market Havoline per the agreement? I have not kept up with that

These oil companies use to have alot of eggs in their basket within there product line of PCMO's. Now those have been shrunk down so to speak by all Companies and some specialty oils dropped.

Phillips Trop Artic still carries a bit of all these specialty oils I'll call them- good oils they offer in my opinion. If you say don't want a 10/30 that shears to a 20wt for GF-3 reasons they have both. If you want a 5/30 PAO oil with a VI of the upper end of a 30 wt they have it,if you want a 5/50 it can be had along with a great 10/30 PAO blend on the upper end of a 30wt with over a time again the amount of PAO vs the Mobil blend. They have 15/40 HD oils with PAO in sufficient quantity of 25-30 percent in the formulation and a 15/40 Race PAO blend that has street additives .
Yep a guy can shop around and find a oil to suit him which is fine,but on topic of brand loyalty Schaeffers and Phillips are the only ones left that I see still carries enough oils in their product lines to cover all the bases so to speak and thats all I am really posting about,,Companies with a full product line for many uses/needs.
No plugging here this is just what I see in the Industry . Last note on Phillips,look at their 5/30 Dino and show me another dino 5/30 that will pump like that when cold,same with their 10/30 SL GF-3.

Please don't shoot me,I am admittently a little biased here.But while on topic of brand loyalty I hought I would post about two Companies that still offers a complete line I think will run with any other.Schaeffers and Phillips JMO on whats avaiable

[ December 09, 2002, 08:18 AM: Message edited by: dragboat ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back