Equifax Data Breach Settlement

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do we know if our data was disclosed?

nvm, I used the tool in the link and my data was disclosed.

Last edited:
There should be criminal charges as well. People like me, who've been affected by this, will end up spending way more that $125 to get their [censored] fixed when it gets hacked....

Thanks! I was only eligible for credit monitoring. Was informed of breach when it happened, but who knows long term effect?

Got three out of five of my family members. I got this feeling that I want to crack some heads.

So you get that peanut amount of money ONLY IF you have credit monitoring already!!! Wow, you really have to be some extra level of shameless. Someone should really end up in the jail.
Oh sorry, thats not possible...

At this point you should assume your SS# is on the dark net. There are many ways to monitor your credit for free. No need to pay. Credit Karma does TU and Equifax and Experian has their own. All free. You do not need credit score to monitor credit file.

But also be aware that Equifax has a subsidiary where companies can report payroll data into and they accumulate the info. Apply for a car loan on a Sunday and they can verify your income. Some companies do, some do not. It saves the companies from responding to income verification inquiries. You can get a free copy of that info also.

If you want the form to request a copy, send me your email in a PM.

Note also if you apply for a job and ask for $80K and say your old job was paying $78K they might be able to look up and see you only earn $60K. In many states they cannot ask you, but they may still be able to find out. Not saying this can happen, but I can see it might, This is used mostly for income verification for credit.

Also, if you have a Discover card, they also monitor for your SS# showing up on the Dark Web, as well, I actually get an email every month from them about it.

With all the previous data breaches, I get about 2 or 3 credit monitoring emails a month.

I spent 17 years in the Fraud Prevention Department of various banks. I advise everyone to lock their credit report. Even if you are actively shopping for a loan, the report can be locked or unlocked online in minutes. Lets say you live in Delaware and someone in New York applies for a credit card using your info. Some bank is foolish enough to send a card without good verification. The fraud person maxes the card, discards it and moves to his next victim. The collection letters go to the fraud address and you never know. After 18 months, the debt must be charged off as a loss. A shark debt collector buys the debt for about 3 cents on the dollar. The shark debt collector then begins the process of making your life a living HELP. it will take months to get these vermin to go away.

I took hundreds of calls from angry people that all followed the same script: I never had an Anybank credit card and this nasty, verbally abusive person is calling at all hours demanding that I pay a debt I do not owe. What is wrong with you people at Anybank?

Sir or Maam, we sold that loan off 18 months ago and I do not have access to it on my computer. The person who is calling bought the loan and does not work for Anybank.

I no longer work in banking. Life is much better now. I can tell stories of mishandling customer info you would not believe.

Yep.

We froze our credit for all 3 agencies. Very easy to do by telephone.

You get a different PIN for each credit agency. To unlock your credit if your are buying a new car its very easy .

Last edited:
What the dirty little secret is that most Insurance companies check your credit before renewal-OR if you are shopping for new car, house, etc., insurance they can't give you an accurate quote-with frozen credit.

Ask me how I know.......

There should be High level executives in jail over stuff like this.. I checked 4 people and all 4 were impacted

Like I said in the privacy thread in the computer section, individuals and businesses and governments for that matter really struggle with safeguarding data. And I get laughed at for trying to do it correctly.

Earlier post timed out:
Thanks for the link just signed up. 5 people in extended family hit so far.

Hmm...don't know if I want the 10 years of credit monitoring or the $125 being that I currently have credit monitoring that I got for free when the breach was first announced. I'm 25 and could see the 10 years of the monitoring being useful.

What do y'all think?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Rand
There should be High level executives in jail over stuff like this.. ….

Without a shred of doubt! Just like many bank and brokerage house executives responsible for the sale of CMOs leading to the 08 crash should be in the slammer right now. Not going to happen. Surprise, surprise, money talks. I've never checked before, showed now my data was compromised. As far as I'm concerned Equifax and all thier execs can get bent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back