Engine temp before oil change?

I'm due for an oil change soon. I have a 2019 Ram 5.7L with under 10k miles. Wondering if it is best to change the oil while the engine is still hot (after it's had 5 - 10 mins to drain back into the pan) or after letting it cool off and sit overnight? I have heard several theories on the subject over the years but am interested to hear the opinions of others here.
Thanks

I like to get the oil temp to full operating temp for at least 5 minutes. What I actually do is every weekend, we go out to my in-laws which is about a 35 mile drive, and when it's due, I just change it after we get back. I know the oil has been plenty hot for a decent amount of time, and mixed up well enough.

I don't think it matters very much. I do it cold because a cold engine is easier to work on than a hot one, and if you're changing transmission fluid, you want that to be cold so you can measure it and put back in the same amount. You don't have to worry about this with engine oil, but it's still easier to do the job cold than hot.

I use ramps, so I'm running the engine for at least a little bit, so the particles can still be suspended since the oil will have been flowing at least somewhat

I did it cold (overnight sit) for 30 years. Now I do it hot. I don't think it matters but I like doing it hot. Drains much faster. Especially in the Winter.

I agree ^^^^^^

Hope your back has not been messing with you too much lately.

Thanks! My chiropractor recommended more golf so I've been trying to play twice a week at least. Back is OK. Working from home and sitting in a chair all day and stressing about work isn't good for me.

Don't think it matters. I'd like to see a cross section of 500,000 of the exact same vehicles driven the exact same way. One side drained on a cold engine and the other a warm engine. Or better yet. Take a sample of cold and warm oil to see if any more contaminants are in the warm engine oil. Which engine had more wear and oil related issues? Just change it on time with a good synth oil and good filter.

Not much of a difference.
Cold easy.
I try to get it warm
Let it run for a minute.
Any way is better than letting it go too long.

Most sumps have a dry capacity , & a wet capacity so after a change most likely you might have .7 to 1 quart left in sump of old oil .

Back