Engine Tear down

Status
Not open for further replies.
As some may know, I had a shrimper that had a somewhat lazy mechanic do some work on his engine.. basicly, fixed the symptom,replaced bearings on overhead cam, but failed to find what caused the problem, oil sump screen clogged up with gasket material and old wire ties and such. So, after 5 times of repairing this motor, without ever pulling the pan, I was finally able to convince the shrimper to allow me to pull it, which we did, and found the cause of the problem.

Now, due to this garbage floating around, his engine broke a ring on the #4 piston, so here he sits with his engine torn down.

This engine has been running schaeffers for approx 5yrs, and in the last year, I convinced him to use our diesel treat 2000 fuel additive.

Here is some pic's of the piston and head so you can see for yourself the carbon or should I say the lack of carbon build up on these parts. Also, none of the piston rings were stuck nor was there any carbon deposits on the backside of the rings.

-
 -
 -
 -

best guess is that when over the years pulled the valve cover for what ever reason, the new gasket sealer was used, squeezed out, engine run before it was cured, fell off, cured up, and accumilated on the oil pump pickup screen. Not to mention that it lost 3 sets of over head bearings and one turbo all of which never had the pan dropped off until after ward. You'd thought that the mechanic would have had enough sense to know that there was a problem else where but he kept telling this guy it's that dang(not correct word but you get the drift) schaeffers oil doing it. Another funny thing he commented on when he saw how clean the engine was, "the engine has to have carbon cause if it doesn't it wont run right."
lol.gif
If this guy wasn't so dang ignorant about oil, he'd saved this guys motor from all of this.

This engine hasn't been rebuilt since schaeffers was in there, and he started using schaeffers directly from delo 400, so there's no telling just how much trash was from the old oil as well. What amazes me is the fact their is no carbon deposits to speak of. The piston crowns and behind the rings are not built up with carbon like most I've seen and the valves seem to be real clean as well. What this is showing IMO is how this oil has not broke down and caused any burn off residue like some do in the ring land area.

Bob,

Great photos, thanks.

What engine and which Schaeffer oil?
How many hours since the head was off?
How many hours on each change of Schaeffer's oil?

Ken

quote:

Originally posted by BOBISTHEOILGUY:

This engine hasn't been rebuilt since schaeffers was in there, and he started using schaeffers directly from delo 400, so there's no telling just how much trash was from the old oil as well.

Geeezzz, do you not like Delo 400 or something?

"This engine hasn't been rebuilt since schaeffers was in there, and he started using schaeffers directly from delo 400, so there's no telling just how much trash was from the old oil as well. What amazes me is the fact their is no carbon deposits to speak of. The piston crowns and behind the rings are not built up with carbon like most I've seen and the valves seem to be real clean as well. What this is showing IMO is how this oil has not broke down and caused any
burn off residue like some do in the ring land area."

This also tells me the diesel treat additive did a good job of increasing combustion efficiency and cleaning the combustion chamber.

quote:

Originally posted by Justin:

quote:

Originally posted by BOBISTHEOILGUY:

This engine hasn't been rebuilt since schaeffers was in there, and he started using schaeffers directly from delo 400, so there's no telling just how much trash was from the old oil as well.

Geeezzz, do you not like Delo 400 or something?

If this engine is a Detroit two-stroke, Delo 400 is the wrong oil...Delo 100 (API CF-2) is the correct Chevron oil.

Ken

Crypto you mentioned something about no pressure at rings, pistons, unless a spray,squirt oiler from crank etc. Thats all I remember seeing. You are correct, about the unpressurized oil at piston.

[ March 13, 2003, 06:02 PM: Message edited by: Terry ]

cryptokid ,
Your reply is still listed in the Additives, Fuel,Oil, Cleaners section.
Bob,How many total hours do you think this motor has before/after scheaffers lube?What interval was fuel treat used?

Mark

Mark,

These boats hold 2000 gals per tank of diesel. We have a DT2000 that is 1gal for 2000 gal mix. This guy has been running this additive for the last year maybe 1 1/2+ - ? Not sure.

These motors normally have 250hr drain intervals, this motor had avg 400hr intervals.

The oil used was the #107 straight 40wt mineral based only schaeffers oil.

Here is a picture of the exact same type of head off of another 343cat on the mandylyn boat. Figured this might give you some idea of one that isn't using a fuel additive.

What happened was they had taken a part off, drained the oil, went and got another part, replaced it, then forgot to put oil back into it. They started without the oil, and ended up with bad bottom end knock, now having to pull the block. So Carlie and I both went over to look at what they had, but all that was there was the head, so here is the pic on it. It has been approx a year since it was pulled off. Notice the accumilation around the cyl area. They use delo 400 and no fuel additive.

-

[ March 13, 2003, 08:09 PM: Message edited by: BOBISTHEOILGUY ]

Bob, for these heavy engines, when do you recommend the Moly-bond mineral oil and when do you recommend the Supreme 7000 syn blend oil?

Ken

In these boats, all the motors are designed for the straight 40wt.

The rule I use is, if the motor has some hours/miles on it, I ask what type of oil they currently use and match what they are using. many/most times, it's the mineral delo 400, so to keep them happy I go with whatever they are use to moreso than the engine. No real advantage to them to spend the extra for the blend when this oil does an excellent job of extending.

The only time I see a reason to switch them to a blend is if it is a newer model with not a lot of miles/hours and if they are currently using a blend or full synth.

There has been no real advantage to the blend over the mineral when it comes to these diesels as for extending drains. I have another shrimper that is doing 800 hrs but is using our oil analysis program to monitor it. He too is running the same mineral 107 straight 40wt. I'm sure the others can too, but I don't encourage extended drains without the analysis and some guys just find it easier to change it.

Amazing difference in the cleaniness of the valves and upper CC. Bravo for the Schaeffers product used.

quote:

cryptokid ,
Your reply is still listed in the Additives, Fuel,Oil, Cleaners section.

i was hoping somthing like that wouldnt happen, i looked through the board but didnt see it.

thanks for the heads up man:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back