Engine surging/high idle after starter replacement

Replaced bad starter on my 2003 Accord 2.4l. Had to remove intake manifold and loosen throttle body to access it. New starter works great but now I have a rpm surge/ high idle condition. Car ran fine before starter replaced. I had the battery disconnected for few days and intake manifold removed. Was careful to not tear intake gasket or throttle body gasket during reassembly. Made sure all connectors and vacuum hoses were reconnected. Any ideas from anyone who has run into this issue. Anyone else ever run into this on the Accord 2.4 engine after removing manifold and throttle body?

Let it run and reseek its idle. If it's too fast it will let you know via CEL.

Does this car have an idle speed control valve that bypasses the throttle plate or drive-by-wire? If you have the bypass, you can cover it with your thumb and see if you stall the car or get the RPMs very low. If you can, it's the computer demanding the high idle. If you have no difference, there's a vacuum leak or the throttle blade is too far open.

Let it run and reseek its idle. If it's too fast it will let you know via CEL.

Does this car have an idle speed control valve that bypasses the throttle plate or drive-by-wire? If you have the bypass, you can cover it with your thumb and see if you stall the car or get the RPMs very low. If you can, it's the computer demanding the high idle. If you have no difference, there's a vacuum leak or the throttle blade is too far open.
Thanks for the info. This 2003 Accord has two cables going to the throttle body that manually activates it when you push gas pedal.

Some of those computers will add fuel to the engine when unauthorized air is getting in. More fuel makes the idle go up.

I had a high idle situation one time after I removed the throttle body for cleaning. I didn't re-install the Idle Air Control Valve correctly.

Some of those computers will add fuel to the engine when unauthorized air is getting in. More fuel makes the idle go up.

I had a high idle situation one time after I removed the throttle body for cleaning. I didn't re-install the Idle Air Control Valve correctly.
That could be it. Will troubleshoot more tomorrow.

Almost certainly an air leak. As careful as you were, it's possible the manifold gasket or throttle body gasket got damaged, a hose isn't seated, or a connection is loose. Maybe even as simple as an air filter box clip tucked under. Is it throwing a code?

Start engine. Let it run in idle. Take a can of WD40 with the long nozzle. Use short burst of spray circling around the things you took apart.
If you hear the engine speed change and likely settle in for a bit. You will have discovered the area where you have could have a leak from
a broken hose or one you missed putting back or a gasket leak. This a quick easy way to rule out or confirm a vacuum leak or a gasket you need to
replace. I have seen this work many times and right away.

Replaced bad starter on my 2003 Accord 2.4l. Had to remove intake manifold and loosen throttle body to access it. New starter works great but now I have a rpm surge/ high idle condition. Car ran fine before starter replaced. I had the battery disconnected for few days and intake manifold removed. Was careful to not tear intake gasket or throttle body gasket during reassembly. Made sure all connectors and vacuum hoses were reconnected. Any ideas from anyone who has run into this issue. Anyone else ever run into this on the Accord 2.4 engine after removing manifold and throttle body?
As suggested by several members that responded to my post it turned out to be an intake manifold gasket leak that was pinched/crimped during reassembly. The WD 40 trick suggested by SammyChevelle worked great to locate the issue. Thanks again to all who replied with suggestions and advice.

Back