engine oil temps compared to gear oil temps

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wasn't sure which area to post in, moderators feel free to move.
I have an ebay link below, check it out and tell me what you think. It's for a gizmo for a boat outdrive that's supposed to cool the gear oil in the upper half of the unit when it's running.

First question is, what are typical engine oil operating temps in car engines these days? Most run 195F thermostats, so I'm guessing oil temps are 200-300F depending where inside the motor you're measuring. How about temps of gear oil in a rear end differential, or tranny fluid in a tranny?

Reason I was posting was because the seller claimed "Your stern drive is probably operating at over 250 degrees. Image how thin the oil must be and how soft the internal components are at that temp! Motor vehicles don't even operate that hot." It also says it reduces oil foaming. Will heat cause oil to foam?

Sounds like a ploy to market a useless piece of junk, but I was curious to get everyone's opinion. Funny thing is, there's a water jacket inside the housing which feeds cold water up to the engine, so that if anything will act as a heat exchanger to keep the gear oil in the upper half of the drive cool (if it ever gets hot) not to mention the whole casing is aluminum and is in water. Last I knew, aluminum sheds heat pretty well, no?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=26455&item=2428125471

[ August 19, 2003, 11:46 AM: Message edited by: 1 FMF ]

I'll have to resurrect the information. I recall the temps of oil near the combustion temp were 300+ F . Don't have the time to do this right now but if you search the threads for oil temperature-I'm sure you will find it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back