engine oil stock 5.9 cummins

Status
Not open for further replies.
I purchased a used 2002 dodge truck with a 5.9 Cummins. It had 450,000 kilometers on it (270k miles)
I don't know how the previous owner treated it.
I live in a region of Canada where the summers can be +38C (100F) and winters can be as harsh as -45C (-48F)

The truck is completely stock with the exception of that it has an aftermarket DDRP FASS fuel pump.

I would like to use a synthetic oil and have heard lots about Rotella T6, but am also a fan of Amsoil.

What does the Cummins like though??
And, should I be putting any additives in the engine oil.
And, I would like to get about 15,000 km or more out of the oil.

I do haul a 9000lb 5th wheel in the summer and the truck is my daily driver too.
When I can, it is plugged in in the winter.

If my research is correct, 15w40 is recommended for -13C(10F) and above. Below that, 10w30 from -23C(-9F) up to -1C(30F).

With those spreads, IMO a good 5w40 synthetic could be used year round. Rotella T6 comes to mind, as does Amsoil.

I have been running RT6 in my Cummins for about 42,000 miles and it does very well. It gives me oil consumption of about 1 quart per 9000 miles if I run the oil level 1 qt down from the full mark. I did multiple oil analyses on the first fill of RT6, and changed it at 24,000 miles with low wear metals and TBN that was still serviceable. My truck currently has 230k miles on it.

A 15,000 km change interval will be no problem, and many here will chastise you for wasting money by dumping perfectly good oil. Depending on how much effort you want to put into understanding the health of your engine, I recommend running the 15,000 km, and taking an oil sample without dumping the oil. Then you can use the results of the analysis to gauge how much to extend the oil change interval.

Don't put any additives in the oil.

Last edited:
I have T6 in mine. Runs fine. I will pull a sample at 7500. Amsoil lubricants are great, but with respect to motor oil, you can get the same quality at Walmart with top brand synthetics. Not so true with ATF or SVG oil which I do buy from Amsoil.

Your sump is 12 QTs and even with T6 thats $65 for oil alone at Walmart. Amsoil would be over $100.

I run a M1 filter normally.

Originally Posted By: stockCummins
I purchased a used 2002 dodge truck with a 5.9 Cummins. It had 450,000 kilometers on it (270k miles)
I don't know how the previous owner treated it.
I live in a region of Canada where the summers can be +38C (100F) and winters can be as harsh as -45C (-48F)

The truck is completely stock with the exception of that it has an aftermarket DDRP FASS fuel pump.

I would like to use a synthetic oil and have heard lots about Rotella T6, but am also a fan of Amsoil.

What does the Cummins like though??
And, should I be putting any additives in the engine oil.
And, I would like to get about 15,000 km or more out of the oil.

I do haul a 9000lb 5th wheel in the summer and the truck is my daily driver too.
When I can, it is plugged in in the winter.

Use 2 cycle oil in the fuel. One oz / gallon.

I assume you have a VP44 injector pump and thats expensive to replace, so best to give it some extra lubrication. I use the 2 cycle oil from Walmart (gallon).

First - Welcome to the site!

Micro data would indicate what's "best" for your application; macro data indicates how the mass market responds. Read this:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/used-oil-analysis-how-to-decide-what-is-normal/

Here's the bad news:
If you want to know what is "best" for your particular engine, you will need to do a LONG series of trials, running minimum of 30 UOAs for each product, for your intended OCI, and then compare/contrast the data. That would take you hundreds of thousands of miles and many hundreds of dollars in testings, etc.

And the good news:
Generally, any CH-4, CI-4, CI-4+ or CJ-4 rated lube would work for your rig. The Cummins engine really isn't particular overall.

Your annual mileage accumlation can play into this as well. If you rack up a lot of miles (km), then you could perhaps use a thinner conventional HDEO in winter, and a traditional 15w-40 in summer. If you only plan on running one OCI per year, then a 0w-40, 5w-40 or perhaps even a 10w-40 HDEO would suffice.

If you intend to greatly increase your OCI, you're going to have to look into significant investments in UOAs, PCs, compression checks, visual inspections, etc. This is a practice that takes time, money, and patience.

If you intend to stick at or near the OEM OCI, then any ol' properly spec'd HDEO will suffice very well.

Your brain might think there's a difference, but your engine is likely to tell you there's not. Choose a lube based upon what your wallet thinks is appropriate, because it will notice long before the engine will.

Last edited:
My first Ram was an '02, it would start easily below 0F with 15W40, actually FAR easier than my '06 does-depends on where you are in Canada-southern Ontario, or the Yukon? I'm actually jealous of the 0W30 HDEOs available up north, would love to try them here!
08.gif

With that many kms on it, if it were mine I would run 10w30 winter and 15w40 rest of the time. My 2001 has 415000 km's on it, and I run whatever 10w30 diesel CH4 and up I can find with Baldwin BD7317 all year long...and its modded

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back