Engine oil price and your selection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Skippy722
I think I'm going to stick to Mobil 1, the Chrysler MS-meh spec ain't nothing special
wink.gif

But no, price doesn't matter. If I could get Amsoil at Walmart or Meijer, I'd likely run that... but I refuse to use Amsoil's pyramid scheme sales network.

I don't know if you have any Farm and Fleets close to you but they sell the Signature series Amsoil in the store.

Originally Posted by Urshurak776
The question is, would you reap the benefits of running a better oil? Would it really make a difference in the long run (assuming your are already using a spec oil and doing a proper OCI?)

For most people, with typical driving habits (90% of the USA) I don't think it would matter one bit (other than maybe feeling "warm and fuzzy" for using a top tier oil.)

A specification is like a Diploma. Not all diplomas dictate identical scholastic futures of the hypothetical 100 students wearing Graduation Gowns. Some are obviously smarter than others getting that same, identical diploma.

Works the same way with same specification oils. It does NOT absolutely mean they protect, clean and last the same.
Also, some of BITOGERs apply the Overkill Method. We buy top-shelf, even if we are only running 5K OCIs.
Why?...... some here, like myself, are 1st & Last owners of their vehicles. Some others have piles of money. Some others are Clean Freaks. You can eat off their garage floors.

Yes, price is a big influence on my oil buying decision. If I find a brand I like that's less (don't do rebates) than Super Tech Syn, I'd consider it. Otherwise, I'm fine with ST Syn. For example, I would've gone with the NAPA semi-syn for $12 per 5 qt jug, but didn't need it at the time.

Supertech for our 340,000 mile Crown Victoria would stay the same.

We are using Schaeffers oils for our Ford Escape and the Ford Mustang and have no reason to change in those applications either.

Originally Posted by RazorsEdge

We are using Schaeffers oils for our Ford Escape and the Ford Mustang and have no reason to change in those applications either.

Other than you could get another major oil just as good for half of what your paying. But it is your money. I won't be going to the Schaeffer's boutique.

Originally Posted by dnewton3

Example ...
Right now, the best ROI I can get is from $1.79/qrt RK conventional lube; has been shown repeatedly in my UOA data to safely go to 15k miles in my applications. Low wear, good contamination control, no sludge.

How did you manage to post this without Triple_Se7en calling you a liar outright?

Apparently, he thinks my 4.6 SOHC is drastically different than your 4.6 SOHC engines?

Originally Posted by Linctex
Originally Posted by dnewton3

Example ...
Right now, the best ROI I can get is from $1.79/qrt RK conventional lube; has been shown repeatedly in my UOA data to safely go to 15k miles in my applications. Low wear, good contamination control, no sludge.

How did you manage to post this without Triple_Se7en calling you a liar outright?

Apparently, he thinks my 4.6 SOHC is drastically different than your 4.6 SOHC engines?

If I have no information on member vehicles during such specific claims, I never question the post. It's rare where I chastise a 15K OCI. What I chastise are a lifetime of Rural King conventional OCIs with 15K OCIs. That's because there aren't any documented here.

Anyone can run Rural King conventional for 15K and do it several times in a row. But that's the type / M.O. of owner that trades his vehicle-in and the next owner suffers the consequences at 150-175-200K.

Anyone here that brags about running 15K OCIs on Rural King conventional for 15-18 years is the outright liar, not me.
I am happy for Mr. Newton's achievement. Been done here using similar house brand conventionals a thousand times. But the more times you do it, the shorter-the-time that engine does a breakdown.

Linckie, ask Mr. Newton for a thread update in 15 years. Then Newton and you can call me a liar.
I'm done with this. Treat you vehicles like krappola and brag about i........ not I said the Blind Man. Besides, UOAs tell us the condition of the oil and not the condition of the engine.

Last edited:
No. I would maintain what has been working well for me so far. M1 HM 0w20 in the civic and Castrol Edge 5w30 in the Ranger. Both with Fram ultra filters.

Price is currently not a concern since most of my oil is
I am not brand loyal or feel any one oil is "better" for my needs than others.

I would use any API rated oil given to me for the same current intervals I do now.
I do prefer synthetic just because, but not an absolute.

Originally Posted by rooflessVW
Originally Posted by OilUzer
Q:
If price was not a factor, would you still use the same engine oil that you are currently using?

Yes. I can regularly buy the best oils on the market for less than $5/quart.

I'm not sure what I would spend more money on if I wanted to spend more money.

Who says besides you that those under $5 per qt. oils are in fact the best? Broad statement that is. Maybe the $10 oils are better.

Oil is cheap and among the most inexpensive products associated with any car. One tank of gas exceeds the cost of most oils. Whether you "need" it or not is a different story..

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
Originally Posted by RazorsEdge

Other than you could get another major oil just as good for half of what your paying. But it is your money. I won't be going to the Schaeffer's boutique.

What other major oil out there has Antimony? Hmm.

Originally Posted by PimTac
What does antimony do?

molakules article here

Has a knack to help out bearings.
And with needle bearings and camshaft issues being an issue in MDS Hemi engines, it cant hurt.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by RDY4WAR
Even using expensive oil, my oil cost per year is still div>

Yep.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back