Engine oil price and your selection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Q:
If price was not a factor, would you still use the same engine oil that you are currently using?

I use engine oils that meet the spec. However my answer to the question above is:

• Yes for 1 car.
  • No for 3 other cars.

I think I'm going to stick to Mobil 1, the Chrysler MS-meh spec ain't nothing special
wink.gif

But no, price doesn't matter. If I could get Amsoil at Walmart or Meijer, I'd likely run that... but I refuse to use Amsoil's pyramid scheme sales network.

If it was no object, I still feel I would be wasting the money on anything pretty much M1 and higher.

I did spend $19.99 the other day on a 5 quart jug of QSUD but that is because I previously did the 10k on just any oil and while it held up fine, there was customer complaint on the last 100 miles or so of how it felt different or so.. the QSUD was the winner of that selection for next 10k OCI but only because of pricepoint.

If money was no object I would put the best of the best exotic Group V oil in everything, think Lubro Moly or other such intricate overseas blends, maybe even M1 5W-50 if the car called for it. Think BMWs and exotic Mercedes. Until then, I don't see a need to overspend.

Originally Posted by OilUzer
Q:
If price was not a factor, would you still use the same engine oil that you are currently using?

No - in that case I'd be finding the lube (via testing various choices) that gives me the longest OFCI still producing acceptable wear rates.
The oil I use now gives me the best ROI. But that's not the same thing as the longest safe OFCI.

Example ...
Right now, the best ROI I can get is from $1.79/qrt RK conventional lube; has been shown repeatedly in my UOA data to safely go to 15k miles in my applications. Low wear, good contamination control, no sludge.
However, it's quite possible that other more costly lubes are excluded from my use, because while they may create a longer OFCI (perhaps 2x longer; to 30k miles), they cost 3x or more money. Hence, the ROI is better with the less expensive lube, being changed more often.

But in your scenario, if there were no cost objective, then I would pick the lube which gives the longest OFCI while still meeting the low wear, good control and no sludge.
However, that's not reality, so isn't this just an exercise in futility?
21.gif

Last edited:
Q:

I use engine oils that meet the spec. However my answer to the question above is:

• Yes for 1 car.
  • No for 3 other cars.

I really like Royal Purple, Red Line and Amsoil premium oils. If I had to pick one for my Hyundai Santa Fe, it would be Royal Purple's cleaning power.
If I had to pick an oil readily available at Walmart everyday, it would be either Mobil-1EP or AP.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Q:

• Yes for 1 car.
  • No for 3 other cars.

I really like Royal Purple, Red Line and Amsoil premium oils. If I had to pick one for my Hyundai Santa Fe, it would be Royal Purple's cleaning power.
If I had to pick an oil readily available at Walmart everyday, it would be either Mobil-1EP or AP.

What is Royal Purple's Cleaning Power?

I'd still likely use one of the major brands due to availability.

I have always used a DEXOS full synthetic in our 2015 Chevy Sonic 1.8l . Right now , I have started using some NAPA 5W-30 full synthetic that I picked up , on sale , a year or two ago .

I am using Shell dino 5W-30 , also picked up on sale , in our 2006 Buick Lacrosse 3.8l .

If money was no object , I would probably run the top Mobil oe Pennzoil in both .

I try to change oil / filter at 55% & 5% on the OLI So , probably not a big deal , with oil purchased on sale & filters ordered from RockAuto.com , 6 to 12 at a time .

Q:

Yes. I can regularly buy the best oils on the market for less than $5/quart.

I'm not sure what I would spend more money on if I wanted to spend more money.

Originally Posted by buster
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Q:

• Yes for 1 car.
  • No for 3 other cars.

What is Royal Purple's Cleaning Power?

I'd still likely use one of the major brands due to availability.

There was a recent thread / conversation on how it stands out in cleaning power. But I have the worst luck finding such threads. Probably because I haven't need to save the info.
But my mind remembers them. Now if I can only remember where I put my coffee cup in the past 10 minutes.

The question is, would you reap the benefits of running a better oil? Would it really make a difference in the long run (assuming your are already using a spec oil and doing a proper OCI?)

For most people, with typical driving habits (90% of the USA) I don't think it would matter one bit (other than maybe feeling "warm and fuzzy" for using a top tier oil.)

Yes, I'd use something different. What I'd use, I don't know. Currently using ST oil and filters that meet spec and changing at the manufacturer's recommended interval. Boring, I know. I'm very confident all of the cars I service will have rusted away long before I have any oil related issue.

While I can appreciate a good oil - two of my vehicles are older grocery getters / school transportation while my newest vehicle is DI which means low mile OCI's ... That said , 5W30 SN+ D1 / Gen 2 for all works for me .

Before I came here I only used VWB in everything, once I came here I started chasing rebates on 5pt jugs and tried every conventional wally had to offer but I going back to Valvoline only this time around I'll be using Advanced, except the wife's caddy, engine is still under warranty and the mech uses bulk Valvoline.

So to answer OP's question, yes I would keep using what I'm using.

If some drunk runs a stop sign / lite and totals the car , doesn't much matter which oil you have been running . :-(

Or if you live in the salt belt ( thank God I do not ) and it dies an early death of rust .............

I'm using Mobil 1 now, and I'd probably keep using it.

But if money was no object, my oil changes would be someone else's problem
lol.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back