Engine oil in 2nd/3rd world countries

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I want to go traveling on my Honda XR400 (air cooled, wet clutch) to countries (Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, etc) where I'll probably have times where I'll have to pour whatever oil I can find into the bike. But I'm not clued in on what oil is better so I trawled the internet coming up with a rough guide for myself, any feedback is welcome.

XR400 MANUAL:
[Linked Image]

GUIDE:
GREAT
JASO MA/MA1/MA2
GOOD
API SF, SG, SH
API CG, CH, CI, CJ
High SAE (10W-40, 15W-40, 15W-50, 20W-40, 20W-50)
OKAY
API SJ
API CF
BAD
API SL
WORST
JASO MB
API SM, SN
Energy Conserving
API Starburst
Low SAE (0W-20, 5W-30, 10W-30)
Wide SAE (5W-50)

Almost anywhere in the world has diesel trucks, tractors, forklifts, marine engines, etc., so the fallback position is whatever HDEO the locals put in their trucks, and typically you can find 15W-40 almost everywhere. I have found it down in Central and South America in some pretty remote locations. Go to where the truckers are going to get oil. Just like here, they can't afford to have their vehicles break down so you might be surprised at the quality of product available. Sometimes the names are a bit different. In South America I purchased Rimula instead of Rotella. Bottles might be different too, but in general you can find name brand oil almost anywhere.

Wha is great about the net is we communicating from different nations . Amazing.

Big thanks to all the replies!

Originally Posted by AuthorEditor
Almost anywhere in the world has diesel trucks, tractors, forklifts, marine engines, etc., so the fallback position is whatever HDEO the locals put in their trucks, and typically you can find 15W-40 almost everywhere. I have found it down in Central and South America in some pretty remote locations. Go to where the truckers are going to get oil. Just like here, they can't afford to have their vehicles break down so you might be surprised at the quality of product available. Sometimes the names are a bit different. In South America I purchased Rimula instead of Rotella. Bottles might be different too, but in general you can find name brand oil almost anywhere.
Thank you. Quick question, I read that HDEO can contain high amounts of ZDDP to the point that it's corrosive, any truth to this?

Originally Posted by Chris142
Can you stick with names you recognize? Castrol, Motule etc.
I'm going to try but I don't know how developed these countries are with oil brands so I'm just going to assume the worst and hope for the best...

Originally Posted by Linctex
API SL oil is GREAT!

It's got lots of SAPS that aren't allowed in the newest formulations

I read somewhere that API SL has a lower ZDDP content than SF-SJ which is the stuff that lubricates between camshaft and flat tappets?

Originally Posted by Rollins
LukOil should be widely available there. I'd avoid small stores and buy from LukOil gas stations. Check out LUKOIL AVANTGARDE line for commercial vehicles.

http://lukoil-lubricants.promodev.r...avantgarde_ultra_v2.3_22.11.2016_eng.pdf
Thank you, I'll keep an eye out for this stuff.

Quick question, I read that HDEO can contain high amounts of ZDDP to the point that it's corrosive, any truth to this?

It may be true, but lots of bikers over here have been running name-brand HDEO oils in all sorts of engines for a long time. I've been using Rotella T6 5W-40 synthetic HDEO in my Kawasaki EX500 for about 39,000 miles and have had great results. I try to change it about every 3-4,000 miles along with the filter. It's a few years old, but the article referenced below is useful. Also, note your options for oil filters, if that bike takes one. Almost impossible to find motorcycle-specific filters many places, but there is usually a popular car filter that will work perfectly--probably better. Oil and filters.

Last edited:
The Honda XR400 takes a cartridge oil filter which is fairly small (under 5cm diameter) and may not be available where you are going. Depending on the length of your trip, you may be OK changing (or topping off) the oil only, leaving the oil filter alone for the trip. If it's a longer trip, you want to bring a filter with you.

I lived In EL Salvador, Central America for a year and they had quality brand oils at most shops and gas stations. As recommended by others seek out Diesel 15w40 oils for top ups. You will likely be able to find shell, Mobil, and Castro's products among others that are of great quality.

Big thanks for all the replies. I feel much better now with the oil situation.

And thanks for oil filter info, I was researching engine oil and completely forgot about the filter.
33.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back