Engine oil for 2006 BMW 525i E60 engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for all the help once again. Btw i forgot to add that I stay in Asia and the weather here is averaging 28c to 32c, plus plenty of start-stop traffic. I can't get GC in my country and after some searching I shortlisted to Mobil 0w 40w with BMW LL-01 and the new Castrol Edge 0w 40w with BMW LL-04 approval. I like Amsoil and used it before, but it doesn't carry the approval n I just don't feel good. But its a great oil anyway.

Out of these 2 oils, I probably would choose Castrol over Mobil as Mobil 0w 40w is well known to thin down over time and also because BMW recommends Castrol. Now I have a question and I hope somebody can help to answer. What is the content of Castrol Edge? Is it group III or IV? Cheers!

I think I found some answers here
http://www.castroledgeusa.com/#/faq

However in my country, I only have 0w40w and 5w40w. And 0w40w have the following specs
ACEA A3/B3/B4/C3
API SM/CF
BMW Longlife-04
229.3/ 229.5
Porsche

Based on the specs and approvals, I think I will go with this oil. Lastly there is a short comparison between Syntec and Edge in the link. Have a look. Thank u all guys!

Originally Posted By: benzai
And 0w40w have the following specs
ACEA A3/B3/B4/C3
API SM/CF
BMW Longlife-04
229.3/ 229.5
Porsche

Based on the specs and approvals, I think I will go with this oil.

FYI, BMW advises against the use of LL-04 oils in their gasoline engines outside of Europe, citing fuel quality issues. Whether it's something to really worry about, I don't know.

BMW oil specs by engine type

I don't understand y LL-04 can't use outside Europe because of fuel quality. In my country I have fuel from 92 octane to 98 octane to Super Premium petrol to choose from. What fuel quality? Anyway I intend to do 10k km OCI, should be very healthy. Cheers!

I don't understand y LL-04 can't use outside Europe because of fuel quality. In my country I have fuel from 92 octane to 98 octane to Super Premium petrol to choose from. What fuel quality? Anyway I intend to do 10k km OCI, should be very healthy. Cheers!

It isn't the octane, but the quality of the fuel. Maybe the quality of fuel used in Europe is more uniform. Refined to a hogher standard maybe.

But if they're saying not to use LL04 outside of Europe, they're not doing it just for giggles. Best to ask BMW directly.

Last edited:
I found this on the subject of LL04, although it doesn't really go into much detail either, apart from stating that it's an issue with inconsistent sulfur levels in gasoline in the US. Still, it's not clear to me how this affects engine oil performance.

Maybe that fuel dilution in the oil? Would be nice if they went into more detail though.

Maybe the fuel situation quality wise is better out where the OP is?

As an aside, I clicked on your link. I didn't know such a site exsisted. Just started using it myself.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Trajan
Maybe that fuel dilution in the oil?

You mean, there may be something in an LL04 oil that reacts with sulfur if you happen to have fuel dilution problem?

By the way, LL04 is a low SAPS oil - has reduced amount of sulphated ash, phosphorus, and sulfur additives - in order to be diesel particulate filter (DPF) friendly.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

You mean, there may be something in an LL04 oil that reacts with sulfur if you happen to have fuel dilution problem?

By the way, LL04 is a low SAPS oil - has reduced amount of sulphated ash, phosphorus, and sulfur additives - in order to be diesel particulate filter (DPF) friendly.

There might be something that reacts with the sulfur. I'm only guessing though. (Chemisty isn't my strong suit.) Can't think of any reason other than that as to why BMW says what it says about it
21.gif

So I'm thinking the OP would be better off with the M1 0w-40 if he can't get the GC. (I didn't know the LL04 thing til you pointed it out
thumbsup2.gif
)

Last edited:

Makes sense with the introduction of BMW diesels. Just like the difference between CI-4 and CJ-4 HDEO.

I found this on the subject of LL04, although it doesn't really go into much detail either, apart from stating that it's an issue with inconsistent sulfur levels in gasoline in the US. Still, it's not clear to me how this affects engine oil performance.

The starting TBNs of LL-04 oils are generally lower than for LL-01 oils. Sulfur in gasoline is a big cause of TBN depletion. Low TBN with ethanol laden gasoline further increases the chance of engine corrosion. I think that BMW does not think LL-04 oils in general can hold up in all states in the U.S. for their recommended OCIs/time intervals at a high enough frequency. MB has recently changed back to a higher TBN oil specification (229.5) in the U.S. and their reason was they found unsatisfactory engine protection with MB 229.51 spec oils here and said it was due to the ethanol in gasoline.

It was my impression that LL-04 was all about the environment, not oil performance. Similar to portions of API SM - an LL-04 oil must have less this, that and the other thing that might get into the environment. This may also mean that it's unable to cope with, say, high acidity due to sulphur in the fuel for a full 20k miles.

Remember BMW and other manufacturers are also trying to a very long drain interval. Saying not to run it because of fuel quality may in fact simply mean not to run it the full interval.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
Look for the "Long-Life" oil, but don't use it for long intervals. Gotcha.

Oil is cheaper than an E60 short block.

That's the way I'd rather spend my money.

Well, you're guaranteed to spend the money then. Where is the guarantee you will suddenly need a new engine with dino oil? Got the proof or just more rhetoric? Seem more like a cover for not having reliable info.

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
Got the proof or just more rhetoric?

Where is your proof that dino will guarantee no need for a new engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back