Engine oil color after 130 miles

That's dark for such low distance on the oil.

For reference this photo has been taken with 8000km on the oil of a Kia 1.6 T-GDI engine that everyone claims is "hard on the oil"

Attachments

• 20220831_190734.jpg
    20220831_190734.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 11
Here's what we don't know. How long the oil was drained, and how much oil was trapped inside the engine after the plug was put in and the oil added. Even if the OP told us how long the oil drained we still don't know how much remained. It doesn't take much dirty oil to alter the color of fresh clean oil. So basically we have a lot of speculation, three pages worth, and nothing factual to go by.

Last edited:
Yes, it is direct inj.

Up to 25k, OCI was 5k using whatever dealer used.
Since then, OCI was 10-14k using Amsoil SS and Amsoil filter.
Last OCI was 6k just before the most recent oil change.
Way too long.

Stick with 5k OCI’s with a whatever synthetic.. preferably a Dex1Gen2 oil.

That color tells you absolutely NOTHING meaningful either quantitatively or qualitatively. Anyone with a clue knows you have to taste test it to know anything about it!

P.S. Please don't taste test it.

Those are all reasons why until I got to old and had too many health issues I did 99% of the changes myself. I have son or nephew do them for me these days. I can barley drive or leave home anymore. I have seen good mechanics just have a moment not thinking do all kind of things. Use a really filthy funnel. Even seen them take a container of brand new oil and pour into their nasty / dirty "shop container" that I guess they prefer to pour out of cause it had large quart indicator lines on it. So, I bet some folks (like me) have had oil changes places and your first check you are like "wait? what the h*ll....? this oil is darker than it should be. What happened? Did they rip me off and not change it. So many reasons can be the cause..

Last edited:
Not true in any manner that can be objectively measured.
Oils have dyes; that's what gives them color.
Particulates alter the color, but the insolubles and soot cannot be measured via the naked eye with any credibility.
Moisture alters the color, as does fuel content, etc.
Is it safe to say that oil in an engine that's the same color as that in the original container, or close to it, has minimal contaminants, or is that too broad of a generalization?

Oil darkening is a reason to change it yourself?
Confirming dead sure it was really (and properly) changed is. I think you understood that but wanted to start a debate.
If you read this discussion you'd know it's contemplated his oil might not have been changed, or at least not completely.

I wouldn't run long OCI with DI
Soon as I realized the car the wife bought was a DI (our first ever) I went to 3000 - 3500 miles oci. The purchase of that car brought me to this fun place , BITOG. I knew of some issues but thanks to the knowledge shared here I caught up real fast on the DI engines concerns.

Soon as I realized the car the wife bought was a DI (our first ever) I went to 3000 - 3500 miles oci. The purchase of that car brought me to this fun place , BITOG. I knew of some issues but thanks to the knowledge shared here I caught up real fast on the DI engines concerns.
Welcome, my 2015 Acura MDX I just recently purchased, is my first Di too. I also on every oil change I spray a can of berrymans throttle body cleaner down the brake booster line. Just to try and keep build up down on the back side of the valves vehicle has 117k on the clock

Confirming dead sure it was really (and properly) changed is. I think you understood that but wanted to start a debate.
If you read this discussion you'd know it's contemplated his oil might not have been changed, or at least not completely.
You’re right forgive me for not understanding you’re vague post

My 2014 Pathfinder Platinum isn't direct injected (the newer Pathfinders are DI though IIRC) like it's relative, your QX60, but it also turns oil dark pretty soon after an oil change. You're fine.

My 2014 Pathfinder Platinum isn't direct injected (the newer Pathfinders are DI though IIRC) like it's relative, your QX60, but it also turns oil dark pretty soon after an oil change. You're fine.
But still 130 miles is crazy short for new oil to look that dark.

What's it taste like?
It's a silly question, but no more so than looking at the color of engine oil and expecting to know anything about it's condition.
I'll give the OP a pass since he's new here.
The rest of you ought to know better.

In this case of gdi motor...

I agree with you.

In case of a diesel motor.

I agree too.

In these two motors oil color changes very, very, very, very quickly. Which does make oil color in those cases a non applicable circumstance.

However... Port injected motor I disagree to a degree.

The oil color in port injected does change over time and it does give an idea of oxidation and heat exposure over time. In Port injection motors oil color changes quite slowly over time. The blackest color oil aka jet black I have observed was in my Nissan Sentra and that oil had 10k miles on it. Yet when I typically changed the oil in that car at 4k miles it was much lighter in it's color.

I correlate this too blood....

Many people believe blood is blood is blood... Not true.

Blood has a observable quality to it. Someone on blood thinners one will observe it's much thinner in it's viscosity vs regular blood. It's obvious too.

And if someone has very high blood glucose levels one will observe it's much, much, much thicker in it's viscosity... My friend Scott had a blood glucose levels of 1200 when taken to the ER... I was told his blood was like molasses in it's thickness. He was in a coma for 2 plus days. I have taken people's blood when their glucose levels were around 450 to 500 and it was noticably thicker.

Looks like the Amsoil is cleaning what was left with the dealer used oil.
The amsoil have been used in this engine for the past 60k miles from what he said lol.
Ditch the amsoil and change it more often with more reasonably priced oil if you want the fresh oil to look cleaner.

Back