Engine oil color after 130 miles

i have one of the worst engine oil abusers out there, and even that would be excessive with mine...(gtdi honda 1.5)

It looks like oil to me. It's a DI engine that's been ran up to 14k on oil changes. If anything, both Amsoil and the previous oil are cleaning what was left of the 14k oil changes.

On a 3.5 liter, direct injected engine pulling a big 4500lb suv, going 14k on an oil change is simply.....well.....NOT smart. I don't care if that oil is made of unicorn tears and moly from the farts of fairies.

If you're that afraid, dump it, run a few 1k runs of your favorite Walmart oil.

I think the 10-14K mile oil change intervals that the owner followed post-warranty, even with an Amsoil product, are too extreme for this Nissan built motor. I don't understand that plan.
I think because he uses Amsoil he wants to get his money "worth", even if it's bad for his engine.
I would not extend OCI on a Nissan engine. 5k is ideal with a reasonably priced oil (anywhere from $20 to $25 5-quart jug) and a proper filter.

What's it taste like?
It's a silly question, but no more so than looking at the color of engine oil and expecting to know anything about it's condition.
I'll give the OP a pass since he's new here.
The rest of you ought to know better.
My thoughts exactly.

2017 qx60
Mostly Amsoil SS, most recent one is synthetic from a shop
Original owner
The way I read this is that this current fill isn't Amsoil and is whatever synthetic the shop put in. Correct me if I’m wrong…

Id say its either the effects of the oil doing some cleaning or the last oil change was performed quickly and a lot of old oil remained in the sump.

Just do a few short ('00) changes with something cheap (ST) if the color bothers you. Just residual oil turning the new stuff dark would be my take.

This is from a dip stick after 130miles since the oil change. Is it darker than it should be?

QX60
View attachment 114733
I'm having flashbacks to when I asked this same question about an OCI on my truck's engine with Euro 0W40 Castrol. I was ridden like Ole Seabiscuit by a few members here.
It looks as if the current OCI is cleaning up what past OCI did not clean.

What's it taste like?
It's a silly question, but no more so than looking at the color of engine oil and expecting to know anything about it's condition.
I'll give the OP a pass since he's new here.
The rest of you ought to know better.
I'm new too but was going to say the color is irrelevant.....

This is from a dip stick after 130miles since the oil change. Is it darker than it should be?

QX60
View attachment 114733
That can happen a couple ways. #1 went too long on last oci. #2 the new oil is a good "cleaning oil" (like most today)
#3 not all old oil removed. That used to happen whenever I went from another oil to Amsoil the first 1 to 2 oci.

That can happen a couple ways. #1 went too long on last oci. #2 the new oil is a good "cleaning oil" (like most today)
#3 not all old oil removed. That used to happen whenever I went from another oil to Amsoil the first 1 to 2 oci.
Oils are not good cleaners, FWIW. The main advertised trait is keeping things clean. Cleaning up existing deposits is a whole other animal.

I'm having flashbacks to when I asked this same question about an OCI on my truck's engine with Euro 0W40 Castrol. I was ridden like Ole Seabiscuit by a few members here.
It looks as if the current OCI is cleaning up what past OCI did not clean.
Some of his last OCI's were with Amsoil SS and this is an oil that is supposed to be a Long drain oil. If this Amsoil SS is a long drain oil then it should keep things clean. Then again I do not have a DI Vehicle and we do not know the OP's driving habits.

Oils are not good cleaners, FWIW. The main advertised trait is keeping things clean. Cleaning up existing deposits is a whole other animal.
yes.... Its likely more about how long in service and how much gets left behind. We been using extraction pumps for years.
(no messing with drain plugs) Some think they leave a lot behind. Not true if you do it right and take your time.

Back