Engine noisy with Mobil 1 - Cause(s)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a very interesting topic. For the scientists out there, can you construct a device that can compare the acoustic characteristics of motor oil rather than an engine? For the first comparison use M1 in whatever viscosity compares closet to GC OW-30 which many BITOG fans claim makes for a quieter, smoother engine.

"....For the scientists out there, can you construct a device that can compare the acoustic characteristics of motor oil rather than an engine?"

Buy a six pack of beer in glass bottles, drink the beer, rinse & dry the bottles (Everclear should work ok :^), add 4 ball bearings to each bottle, add 1 tsp of oil to be tested to each bottle, cap the bottle, roll bearings around, shake to listen for differences. Drink more beer if needed to clearly hear differences.

:^)

Dangit, i just bought some M1 today. I'm sad. I was goign to buy Amsoil , but the M1 was on sale.
smile.gif

Use the M-1 with a nice Amsoil synthetic-media filter, that's what I did, RedNeck. Almost forgot, I threw a 1.5 oz/qt dose of VSOT in there with the M-1, too. Engine is as smooth and quiet as it was with the Havoline and Motorcraft OCIs I did at break in (also with a VSOT add). My Hyundai seems to like it, and the oil is nice and clean @ 2500 miles and climbing. This OCI is going 7500, which is a first for me.

My other Hyundai was quiet on M-1 too, I guess I've just been danged luckey I didn't fry two motors running this horrible stuff from Mobil!

I don't get the whole "M1 is noisy" thing, either. Both my cars, one with a 2000 GM 3800 V6, the other with a 2005 GM 3500 V6, run smooth as glass with it. There are no detectable differences in noise between M1 and another oil. For reference the '00 has seen the factory fill and GC besides the M1 and the '05 has seen the factory fill and Havoline Dino 5w-30 besides the M1. I'll be trying PP in the '00, but don't really expect to hear a difference.

Also, in the past, I used M1 on my '87 Chevy Nova. It quieted that engine down very nicely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back