Engine noise with Mobil 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: bigmike
Originally Posted By: AcuraTech
This has been talked about over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and overover and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over.

And the conclusion is: Nothing

18.gif

If the search on here didn't suk so bad I probably wouldn't have started this thread.

I too have never seen any difference in engine noise re. oil I have used, then again maybe I should turn the radio down a bit,or pay close att. to what is going on under the hood. Either way the world is such that at this point this is not something at the top of my list to get excited about.

Originally Posted By: 2010_Colorado_V8
Just changed my oil in 2010 V8 Colorado. Took out M1 5W30 and replaced with Royal Purple 5W30. There is a definate difference with the RP, much smoother and no clicking. I guess engines are about oil like people are about food. Some you like, some you don't.

Which V8 is in your Colorado, Sir?

Originally Posted By: AdRock
Originally Posted By: bigmike
Originally Posted By: AcuraTech
This has been talked about over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and overover and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over.

And the conclusion is: Nothing

18.gif

If the search on here didn't suk so bad I probably wouldn't have started this thread.

I'll agree with the search being bad. It really is. I can't stand it.

I like whoever it was that made the BITOG search for Firefox. It's a life-saver.

What did they say say say say say say say?

I always thought that a STRONG oil like M1 will knock Sludge and stuff loosee.... and IF different than what the endine was "Used to"... it MAKES VALVE TICK.

Is it THAT SIMPLE?

Originally Posted By: JCCADILLACMOBILE
What did they say say say say say say say?

I always thought that a STRONG oil like M1 will knock Sludge and stuff loosee.... and IF different than what the endine was "Used to"... it MAKES VALVE TICK.

Is it THAT SIMPLE?

I don't believe mine is valve tick. There's no ticking or clicking sound at start-up its more like a rattling sound. Only at start-up for a few seconds and it only lasted for about a month on my two vehicles. It was really cold then, but the dino it had the day before wasn't making any type of sound and it was cold as well. Again, some are callimg it piston slap.

I found this post to be very interesting. My 2003 Honda Odyssey with 153,000 miles on the engine did have a tapping/ticking noise to it when I would first start it up. It seemed to last for 3-5 minutes and then quiet down but not disappear. I have used Mobil 1 exclusively since I bought it used with 70,000 (roughly) miles on it. Other Odyssey owners have complained of this noise as well...I even had mine officially checked out by the Honda dealer and they said no concerns.

I recently switched over to Amsoil's Signature Series 0W-30 oil and this noise has completely disappeared. I have no clue as to why this happened. Both my wife and I noticed this improvement - not suggesting in any way that the Mobil 1 was underperforming. The tapping/ticking noise is gone, the oil useage (burn off - not the technical term I am sure)has all but disappeared as well. I also noticed a very slight increase in mpg...nothing major but enough to where the calculations proved a slight increase. What is it in the Amsoil SSO that caused this noise to disappear? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Sadly, with the purchase of an extended warranty I may have to stop using the Amsoil SSO and utilize something else. http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forum...owflat&Main=124383&Number=1761285#Post1761285

So happy to have found this forum...everyone seems so helpful to one another.

Originally Posted By: Jehartley
Just changed my oil in 2010 V8 Colorado. Took out M1 5W30 and replaced with Royal Purple 5W30. There is a definate difference with the RP, much smoother and no clicking. I guess engines are about oil like people are about food. Some you like, some you don't.

I haven't seen any at the dealers yet, but they are available this year with the 5.3L V8. I'm guessing you'd have to special order it.

Mine is a constant valvetrain ticking/clacking once the engine & oil are nice and hot. The warmer it gets the louder it gets, as if the oil is thinning out. There's nothing contaminating the oil. I did a fill with 5w-30 PP and the noise was pretty much gone at any temp.

It just seemed odd and wondered if anyone knew why this seems to happen with M1 as I've seen quite a few people talk about. That was my reason for this thread. I wasn't trying to reopen a can of worms.

Originally Posted By: sangyup81
Originally Posted By: calvinnnnnnnnn
on my tsx with 0w-30, the engine was nosier and ran a bit rougher
PURRRSSSSS now

You switched from M1 0w30 AFE to M1 5w30?

According to your sig, you're using Valvoline Synpower, not plain M1 5w30.....

the engine did not run well with 0w-30. i dumped that oil after 500 miles of use. Since then, its been running 5w-30 synpower. Love the way this oil runs in the tsx. I not a fan of m1 products since my experience with AFE

Originally Posted By: sangyup81
on my tsx with 0w-30, the engine was nosier and ran a bit rougher
PURRRSSSSS now

You switched from M1 0w30 AFE to M1 5w30?

According to your sig, you're using Valvoline Synpower, not plain M1 5w30.....

the engine did not run well with 0w-30. i dumped that oil after 500 miles of use. Since then, its been running 5w-30 synpower. Love the way this oil runs in the tsx. I not a fan of m1 products since my experience with AFE

Have you tried it in the Integra? I'm gonna try AFE 0W-30 in it sometime in the near future, maybe even my next oil change.

Originally Posted By: DaddyBlogger

I recently switched over to Amsoil's Signature Series 0W-30 oil and this noise has completely disappeared. I have no clue as to why this happened. Both my wife and I noticed this improvement - not suggesting in any way that the Mobil 1 was underperforming. The tapping/ticking noise is gone, the oil useage (burn off - not the technical term I am sure)has all but disappeared as well. I also noticed a very slight increase in mpg...nothing major but enough to where the calculations proved a slight increase. What is it in the Amsoil SSO that caused this noise to disappear? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

My guess is SSO has lots of metallic friction modifier, it seems quite effective to reduce noise and friction.

Anyway my noise issue with M1 5w-30 is on high ambient temperature and after driving high speed, I can hear some knocking (sound like piston slap) when i run the engine on high idle. It does not happen with M1 EP or AFE so far.

The 5.3 300hp V8 is available in the 2009-2010 Chevy Colorado and GMC Canyon. Looking for one on the Chevy web site is like watching paint dry. Easiest way to find some of them is on Auto Trader. Set the search parameters for "New"; 2020 and "any distance from your zipcode"; at the bottom of the page check "search by keyword" and fill in the engine as 8 cylinder. As of now, there are 128 in the US on Auto Trader, all dealers do not use Auto Trader. Oh, by the way, the V8 is FAST!!!

The 5.3 300hp V8 is available in the 2009-2010 Chevy Colorado and GMC Canyon. Looking for one on the Chevy web site is like watching paint dry. Easiest way to find some of them is on Auto Trader. Set the search parameters for "New"; 2020 and "any distance from your zipcode"; at the bottom of the page check "search by keyword" and fill in the engine as 8 cylinder. As of now, there are 128 in the US on Auto Trader, all dealers do not use Auto Trader. Oh, by the way, the V8 is FAST!!!

Typo on the year, 2010, not 2020!!

Originally Posted By: AdRock
Mine is a constant valvetrain ticking/clacking once the engine & oil are nice and hot. The warmer it gets the louder it gets, as if the oil is thinning out. There's nothing contaminating the oil. I did a fill with 5w-30 PP and the noise was pretty much gone at any temp.

It just seemed odd and wondered if anyone knew why this seems to happen with M1 as I've seen quite a few people talk about. That was my reason for this thread. I wasn't trying to reopen a can of worms.

This was also my experience years ago when I ran Mobil 1 5W-30 in my 98 chevy truck with the 5.7L. Mine would get noisier the hotter the engine got. I also had the same issues with 10W-30 Mobil 1. I also had higher than normal iron levels and higher oil consumption. I currently run 5W-30 Valvoline conventional and have no startup tapping and the engine is quiet when its idling.

Wayne

Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe
calvinnnnnnnnn said:
Have you tried it in the Integra? I'm gonna try AFE 0W-30 in it sometime in the near future, maybe even my next oil change.

nope, not going to try

synpower is in it right now. Runs very smooth right now

Maxlife 5w-30 is going in in 5k miles.

Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe
calvinnnnnnnnn said:

nope, not going to try

synpower is in it right now. Runs very smooth right now

Maxlife 5w-30 is going in in 5k miles.

I have 3 jugs of SynPower and 1 jug of MaxLife that I have waiting in line too. I'm still not entirely sure what I'll do next. My oil pan gasket is starting to weep a little bit so I might give MaxLife a try. It hasn't gotten any worse since I first noticed it weeping a year ago so I might not bother with the HM stuff until it actually starts to leave drips on the ground.

I have a turbocharged 5.4L Ford Mustang drag race only car. It has solid lash adjusters and one cylinder that I had "repaired" once. So I know I have that cylinder at less then optimal clearances. But it's got even compression and never made much noise that I could notice.

During off season work I changed the oil from Mobil 1 10w-40 to Mobil 1 5w-30. I always use Motorcraft FL-820S filters. I used the 5w30 because I had lots of it my wife had been buying for her LS-1 Trans Am.

I only raced the car a couple of times last year and dynoed it once since then. But the old oil had a lot of cold, short runs on it since then and I wanted to get it out of the motor over the winter.

With the nearly year old 10W40 and 30 degree weather the car had some slight piston slap that faded as the engine warmed. Hot it was very quiet. Especially for solid lash adjusters. This is pretty much normal for Ford Modulars and especially those forged racing pistons, so this is no big surprise.

After the change to 5w-30 I thought I started my diesel truck! By simply changing the oil all of the lash adjusters sound like they are LOOSE and all of the pistons sound like they are rocking.

A stethoscope session under the car revealed pretty much what I am hearing without it. Everything is making more noise with my repaired cylinder being a bit louder than the rest. Again, no surprise there. Oil pressure is fine and it is where it's always been, cold, full operating temp and at all RPM.

Now I've always been a Mobil 1 user and acutely tuned into eveyr noise that motor has ever made. But this whole thing got me searching the net and I'm finding many others on the net and website that are having exactly the same problem.

I'm also very experienced with these kind of things and building engines. I've never seen anything like this. I pulled the car out of the garage and it was fine. Changed the oil and it wasn't.

While searching the web and this site I've seen lots of people saying others having this problem, with that exact oil are nuts and defending Mobil 1. Well, until it happened to me I wouldn't have believed it either.

When the weather breaks I'll change it out and find out for sure. I've got some Castrol 20w50 I plan on using along with a new Motorcraft oil filter.

Thanks for your time,

Ed

Last edited:
Okay,

I just changed the oil and filter. Same MC FL-820s filter and Castrol 20w50. About 45 degrees outside.

All abnormal noises are gone. Just the sweet sound of solid lash adjusters.

No knock or slap, cold, warm or hot. Hot oil pressure doubled from 25 to 50 psi... hot...

Whatever...!! :)

Thanks,

Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back