Engine life threshold where you are satisfied with longevity?

I have 202,000 on a 16 year old 5.3 runs as good as day 1 when I drove it off the lot with 16 miles on it.

I had a E-class Benz Diesel OM606 engine with almost 300k miles, gave it to my nephew and he ran it another 45k before he traded it. I now have a Benz Diesel E-class OM648 engine with 121k miles and have a good feeling that it would outlast me. I am retired and don't drive much.

There is a lot to this question.

I always have a bit of a chuckle when folks come on here talking about their expectation to keep their new to them vehicle for 300-400k.

Thats quite possible to do, with the vehicle still in good condition, for road warriors with lots of highway use. Its pretty hard to do if youre not putting 100+ miles per day on a vehicle. Thats not necessarily due to powertrain issues either, though a bad AT on a high mileage, low value car, will often send it to retirement... Its the other stuff - plastic parts, corrosion, other items starting to not work well. And folks just get the itch...

A car going to 100k without any real maintenance is pretty commonplace these days. I suspect manufacturers try for a pretty well-anticipated failure of many components around the 150k mark.

A long-lived car does not imply that it wont need a LOT of repairs to get there, even with the best engines from the best brands.

I think 200k is pretty commonplace. I think much of it depends upon the anticipated use versus actual. Take a bigh pickup truck, designed for hauling and towing some portion of its life, and use it less than that, or with lower loads, and its likely that lifetime will be much higher. Beat on something, and its likely it wont last as well.

OP's situation also points to the fallacy of the timing chain. MB cars, which can go 500k or more, have a requirement to check (and its easily done) TC wear. Chains can be offset or replaced. Most folks on here Ive observed seem to think that TCs mean lasting forever and never having any maintenance. That's not true.

I like the notion of 300k+ but with this pandemic messing things up I am not racking up miles like I used to. It is hard to balance miles against time in New England. Southern vehicles might last indefinitely (paint and rubber bits notwithstanding) but up here it seems to be a losing battle. I have an arbitrary 10yr/200k number in mind, after that it's all bets off. More is better but can you "expect" it?

225,000 miles is more than long enough for me; with the exception of my Club Sport or TJ I find that terminal boredom invariably begins to set in once a car hits @175,000 miles at the absolute latest.

The notion of 200K miles is pretty sweet for me, but owners rarely get there in the rust belt unless you drive ~30K miles per year. It takes some doing to make a vehicle last 10yrs in my climate. If it does, it's got problems by then that are way bigger than engine longevity.

I think 200K is a good mileage these days. I've only owned one car that I've had for more than 200K miles. Sold my 1994 Accord back in 2005 with 415,xxx KM (257K miles).

Wife's 1997 we bought new has 132K miles on it now, but it only does about 6K miles per year. Will be another 10 years until it gets to 200K.

At the rate I put miles on vehicles, I wouldn't complain about 200k. My 08 Jeep is 13 years old pushing 14 and it is at about 142k. If it croaks with 200k, it will be close to 20 years old. Who could complain about that?

Better yet, it has a lifetime no-deductible powertrain warranty. I think that Jeep might complain about putting a new/reman engine into a 20 year old Wrangler, Lol!

Last edited:
You can spend as much money on modern GDI high pressure fuel pump replacement as old school short blocks used to cost, so I don't know how to answer this question. I'm unusual in the sense that I buy all my vehicles new...but I keep them for forever.
My 98 F150 has the original water pump, alternator and AC compressor, tranny is OEM as well. Nothing has failed on it except upper and lower ball joints but the roads are horrible around here.
I've had good luck with our last few vehicles but I take care of them.
04 4x4 escape has 150K on the OEM tranny and PTU, a feat most believed unachievable. Lost the AC compressor but that is the only issue to date.
09 Mazda 5, only 83K but no issues
2014 Armada, 90K issue free except warped front rotors
2013 GT500, 22K, no issues except OEM tires were chit and got replaced with MPSS tires, bone stock.

I've purposely avoided DI gas motors to date but may not have many choices come time for a new vehicle.

These days I expect a minimum 300k km out of my cars. I got almost 600,000km from my 94 pathfinder and the only reason I parked it was due to rust. The engine ran great with a small amount of consumption. Right now everything I own is sub 300k km but over 200k km.

There are people at work with newer cars, spending thousands to fix things like A/C, brakes, etc and complain about it... I DIY so only pay the cost of parts and my time, which makes it worth keeping the car longer IMO. I know a guy at work who traded in his 2014 Sentra in 2017 because it needed brakes, and he thought it was going to become a money pit. I am not joking.

Last edited:
I would say 200-300K but that is pulling numbers out of my backside. It really depends on the engine eg an old MB diesel had 600K in them all day long even in taxi stop and go short trip duty with normal maintenance, a VW 2.0 slow can easily go 300-400K ditto some Toyota and Honda engines and many others.
Some are lucky to get 150K without something major happening eg VW 1.8, old Saab 2.0T with a 4qt sump, the notorious Pontiac Fiero, some 3.0 Toyota engines and again many more. Notice these are sludge monsters even if the book OCI or OLM was followed.
The chevy Vega 2.3, the Cadillac HT4100 were some of the worst engines ever produced, not matter how well you took car of it it was going to have a short life.

Today we see more failed transmissions than failed engines, PS systems can be expensive and labor intensive on some cars, I have seen cars junked for these sort of failures. Given proper care the engine will probably outlast the rest of the components and body (depending on location) by a long shot.
For example I saw a 6 year old Ranger 3.0, 4 wheel drive with 32K on the clock go to the bone yard with a wonky transmission and frame broken from rot in 3 places. It ran great, mint inside and out except for the frame.
I think the 2.Slow VW engine is an undersung hero... along with a 5 speed manual (and as few electrical items as possible... on a VW, hehe).

I agree with your comments re failed transmissions, too; presumably mostly automatics. Manuals fail too, but a really competent driver that doesn't over do the downshifting (or double-declutches down) and who starts-off barely a crack above idle can REALLY pull the miles out of one.

My question is how far are the automakers designing and engineering their vehicles to run? Don't quote me and please correct me if I'm off and you know the post because I can't remember if it was here or elsewhere but someone claimed to have been an engineer for I think Ram and I believe the internal goal was something like 150,000 miles for an engine. Makes sense. Most extended warranties end before that mileage and why engineer beyond that when you can sell a new truck?

For the record...I average 10K miles per year so the Tundra will most likely be gone well before I even hit 100K miles.

Last edited:
20 years of my average driving. I've been called relentless, as I am hard on my things and I truly enjoy 80% driving. Yet, I maintain things well and expect good service. No real mileage limit other than what I can accumulate in 20 years.

Possibly of interest, I will not abuse somebody else's equipment. The company trucks gets stellar MPG with me at the helm. Yet, they break before my personal vehicles do (which are run to redline regularly). Could be the towing, could be the other drivers that "trash" the company stuff or it could be the model choice. But any way you slice it, my stuff seems to hold up better than the company stuff.

I wonder if Tesla cars will last 20 years without major repairs.

EDIT: I've been able to achieve well over 200K on all of my vehicles, from the time I started driving, way back in the 1970's. So I'm not at all sure vehicles last longer now.
The highest Tesla I have heard of is an early Model S P85 with 900,000 kilometers or 559K miles. The battery pack has been replaced; the electric motor is original. I believe the motors have 2 moving parts. Something like 17 moving parts in the drivetrain.

300K or 15 years out of a car

200K or 20 years out of a hardworking truck (80% towing at 50% of limit or greater. )

Kind of a tough one. I'd say 275k is a good run.

I've only had my Genesis for 7 months and 10,500 miles. I have a bumper to bumper warranty until 135k miles (has 64k now). So we'll see what happens.

I haven't reached the point yet. I am trying to get my Tacoma to 300,000 miles. With my vehicles we keep them forever as there is no need to get rid of them. My Tundra and 2014 Tacoma have Lifetime Powertrain Warranty compliments of Toyota as well as my new Camry.

Back