Engine Hour Meter in my Pickup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got a used '08 F250 last week (woefully underpowered with the 5.4 engine, but that's a whole 'nother thread..), and, while playing around with the buttons in the "Message Center", up popped an engine hour meter. Never saw that before on any of my gas powered vehicles, and thought it was pretty neat.

BTW - it read 1060 hours, at 32,200 miles, if memory serves.

I had one on my Denali...helped keep track of when the engine started piston slapping..and when the front diff failed..when the power steering and water pumps failed..and when I traded it on a Toyota 4 Runner.....
LOL.gif

Very useful feature.
crackmeup2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: PT1
I had one on my Denali...helped keep track of when the engine started piston slapping..and when the front diff failed..when the power steering and water pumps failed..and when I traded it on a Toyota 4 Runner.....
LOL.gif

Very useful feature.
crackmeup2.gif

crackmeup2.gif

"message center"? What is this thing a truck or a computer?
21.gif
That's why I like older vehicles.

Anyway, it's nice to have an hour meter. Avg speed of 30 miles per hour, seems your truck is used around town mostly, not much long distance highway driving. So a change every 200 hours would be about 6000 miles for you.

I found that kind of interesting, Paul. I'da figured a few less hours than that.. Supposedly the truck was used to service drill rigs for oil companies in Texas (although I picked it up in Columbus, OH), so you'd think it wouldn't have much low-speed use (wide open spaces of Texas and all); maybe a lot of time idling?
21.gif

Originally Posted By: RWEST
I found that kind of interesting, Paul. I'da figured a few less hours than that.. Supposedly the truck was used to service drill rigs for oil companies in Texas (although I picked it up in Columbus, OH), so you'd think it wouldn't have much low-speed use (wide open spaces of Texas and all); maybe a lot of time idling?
21.gif

Probably alot of idling. These people work for an oil company, you think they care about burning gas? They just want a cool cab.
If you want to, you can figure out a oil change interval that works for you based on hours. It maybe more accurate, since it counts idling, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have hour meters in all of our vehicles. 30 - 35 mile per hour average is about right for rural type driving, half highway and half city. Think about all those stops you make at red lights, stop signs, drive thrus, traffic, etc, plus all the driving you do at speeds of 30 mph and below, city streets, parking lots, housing additions, etc. Philip

Originally Posted By: TallPaul
"message center"? What is this thing a truck or a computer?
21.gif
That's why I like older vehicles.

When I sold my 04 Rendezvous, I explained to the very nice lady that bought it to watch for the "change oil soon" message in the display over the speedometer. She wondered what it was all about also, so I explained some of the benefits of the Driver Information Center. Without missing a beat she said it was the first time a _ _ _ would tell her what to do.

30 mph is about right for a work truck. Mix dirt roads, highway and city.
I use my GPS to track my daily averages. My moving averafe is sometinmes up to 40 MPH (Including 100 miles of highway) but my overall average can be less than half of that.

Is this the same hour meter included in the CVPI? Those allegedly only (or so I was led to believe) recorded idle hours so that the mileage and the hour reading could be factored for service. Otherwise, there would be no reason to assign a mileage equivalency to each hour. You would just assign maintenance on a mile/hour whichever comes first.

Originally Posted By: Onmo'Eegusee
I dont think so...

That's what google says
21.gif

http://www.hendonpub.com/policefleetforum/Topic65-13-1.aspx

2006 Ford Fleet Preview | Police Fleet Manager Magazine
Also new for the 2006 Ford CVPI is an engine idle hour meter. Again, this measures time at idle, and not total operating hours. The idle meter is activated ...
http://www.hendonpub.com/resources/articlearchive/details.aspx?...

Quote:
HOUR METER
Your vehicle may be equipped with an hour meter to indicate how much
time the vehicle is idling in Park or Neutral. The meter is incorporated
with the vehicle odometer. Depressing the odometer-reset button once
will display the trip odometer (miles followed by a T for trip
odometer). Depressing the odometer-reset button a second time will
display the hour meter (hours followed by an h for hours). The hour
meter only accumulates time when the vehicle is in Park or Neutral.
Displayed time is cumulative for the vehicle. It cannot be reset to zero.
Police/Fleet vehicles often experience long periods of idling, during
which engine oil will continue to break down but mileage is not
accumulated on the odometer.
To assist fleet managers in maintaining proper oil change intervals, the
hour meter will help determine when an oil change is required. For every
hour that the vehicle idles, it has accumulated the equivalent of
approximately 33 miles (53 km) of driving. Using the combination of the
vehicle odometer and hour meter allows the fleet manager to better
determine when the oil needs to be changed.
2006 Crown

http://www.p71interceptor.com/ownersguides/crownvic/2006/06crosp2e.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back