Engine/Gear oil advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello..
I have a '72 Corvette 454 4spd
about 5000kms the engine was rebuilt and tweaked
a little ( not too radical)
it's time to change the trans/rear diff.
oil, So I thought I could use some advice
I want to go synthetic... Also engine oil
recommendations. I was using Moblie 1 15w-50 with Lucas
but after reading the forum on Lucas oil supplements.....not anymore!
I don't put a ton of kms on it every year and I store it in the winter. But I do drive it hard
when it's out......the lack of points on my licence will prove that
pat.gif

So any advice/recommendations???

Thanks!!!

I would drop to a 40 weight for the oil if it were me, but I am sure that M1 15w50 will suit your purpose just fine.
smile.gif
I recommend RP max-gear 75w90 for the tranny. I use it in a BW super T-10 and it works very well. Many members are fond of a 50/50 blend of redline mt-90 and mtl.

We have Amsoil 15W-40, Diesel marine in All the collector cars because of the storage intervals, 2 are Corvettes. I would be carefull with synthetics in the Old four speeds, You may experience some run on (causes grinding when speed shifting), We use conventional GL4 in the vettes. and the Starliner 4 sp.

quote:

Originally posted by sbc350gearhead:
I would drop to a 40 weight for the oil if it were me, but I am sure that M1 15w50 will suit your purpose just fine.
smile.gif
I recommend RP max-gear 75w90 for the tranny. I use it in a BW super T-10 and it works very well. Many members are fond of a 50/50 blend of redline mt-90 and mtl.

What he said. You might consider a 50/50 mix of 10W-30/15W-50 Mobil 1. Another intriquing possibility would be say a quart of Redline oil mixed with your Mobil 1 for the benefits of more ester and a higher Moly amount.

Thanks for the tips....
I'm not loyal to M1...
I'd try RP 15W-40...or Redline
Is RP as good as they claim ?
Or any other suggestions ??

I'd put 2oz of Militec in the power steering, 6oz in the transmission, 4oz in the diff, 8oz in the crankcase, and then 2oz in the crancase every oil change. I'd run GTA Fual Enhancer in the gas.

[edit-removed link to non sponsor sales page]

I'd put the cooler additive fron Problend in the radiator.
At that point you'd notice significant improvements.....
Ask Hasbeen if I'm right about this......

[ July 01, 2004, 05:55 AM: Message edited by: Patman ]

Mobil 1 that you are using is all the oil that is needed. There are alot of other oils that would work great ,read the posts and and ponder what makes a good oil. A syn oil is not needed in your car. You need an oil with the highest antiwear additives for the valve train the heavy duty oils would be the choice for a 15w/40 or a 20w/50 racing type like valvoline penzoil castrol and changing it more often. Do 2,000 or 3,000 mile oil changes cuz it's for your Vette. The trans and gear oil is a whole different thing . Your rear end and trans will break before wearing out, Again a high quality petro oil will work the syn oil in the differential will let you go longer oil change intervals the Redline mt90 or equivalent may be a great oil when it comes to improving shift quality but your transmission has no way to filter the oil so the transoil should be changed as a petro oil is changed. As you stated additives are not needed .

[ June 30, 2004, 09:51 PM: Message edited by: Steve S ]

Thanks again...
Steve S.. So you think I should stick with the M1 15W-50 in the engine... and Redline MT90 in the
trans and diff. Or go totally to petro ?
What oils are known to have good antiwear additives? Plus I do change oil often..
I put an average of 1000 miles a season
living in Canada I might have 6 months of driving...maybe? I change oil once a year.

CoosBayDave...
I've never heard of Militec? What does it do?
Looks like it's good for everything??
I'll see if I can get it in Canada..and look into it more..
Thanks again
cheers.gif

quote:

Originally posted by CoosBayDave:
I'd put 2oz of Militec in the power steering, 6oz in the transmission, 4oz in the diff, 8oz in the crankcase, and then 2oz in the crancase every oil change. I'd run GTA Fual Enhancer in the gas.

[edit-removed link to non sponsor sales page]

I'd put the cooler additive fron Problend in the radiator.

At that point you'd notice significant improvements.....
Ask Hasbeen if I'm right about this......

shocked.gif
shocked.gif
shocked.gif

[ July 01, 2004, 11:19 AM: Message edited by: haley10 ]

quote:

Originally posted by CoosBayDave:
I'd put 2oz of Militec in the power steering, 6oz in the transmission, 4oz in the diff, 8oz in the crankcase, and then 2oz in the crancase every oil change.

Any product that supposedly can go in all these different applications is highly suspect in my book.

I use Militec 1 in everything even my kart engine. My 15yr old Mazda turbo goes like a bullet. I hope to get my first UOA on RL 75W90NS/Militec 1 mix done soon and by maestro by Terry no less.

Steve S...
True but I really don't know how to read
the oil analysis ?
I think I'll try the RP gear oil in trans and Diff...... And I still have enough M1 15W-50
for one more change....Then maybe all RP ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back