Engine flush?

I already posted about my new to me 2014 crv with the 2.4; it consumes a lot of oil between changes and I was curious if maybe an engine flush would help with the sticky rings? I’m assuming that’s the issue since I’ve changed the pcv valve. Which flush would work?

I would stick with something slow and safe. HPL has a product and there's the new Valvoline Restore and Protect oil.

I would stick with something slow and safe. HPL has a product and there's the new Valvoline Restore and Protect oil.
I had good luck with HPL's EC 30 engine cleaner, in addition to doing short OCIs with high mileage oil. I also changed the PCV. I thought my daughter had killed her Santa Fe with 230K miles on it. It went nearly 11K miles, and only about 2.5 quarts (of the 4.75 when full) came out when I changed the oil last January--and continued to use oil for the next few months. Now, a year and a half later--to my surprise and happiness--it is back to normal.

How many miles on the car and what kind of oil are you using and how much does it burn?
I didn't see that info in your other thread. Have you experimented with other oils or a thicker oil. Some older cars don't like 0W for some reason. May have to do with the base oil, special additives, etc.

One of my older cars does very well with M1 EP 10W-30. I've tried few other 5W-30's syn blend and syn, and it burns 0.5-0.75 qt between oil changes of about 5K miles. It either likes 10W and/or M1 EP and the dipstick stays at F the entire time. I'm going to experiment with M1 EP 5W-30 one of these days just out of curiosity but then I say why change what's working? lol

Last edited:
I’m not sure how much it burns but it’s more than I should imo. Honda says a quart every 1000 miles is normal which is ludicrous

I’m not sure how much it burns but it’s more than I should imo. Honda says a quart every 1000 miles is normal which is ludicrous
I already posted about my new to me 2014 crv with the 2.4; it consumes a lot of oil between changes and I was curious if maybe an engine flush would help with the sticky rings? I’m assuming that’s the issue since I’ve changed the pcv valve. Which flush would work?
Well what's "a lot"?

My k24 burned a lot as well, stuck rings. What I did was a piston soak with Berryman's B12 Chemtool, then many runs of Gumout Multisystem Tune Up, Rislone Engine Treatment 32oz bottles, and then HPL EC30. I also used Motul XClean oil for 2 5k oil changes. All this took place over 2 years and my consumption is about a cup per 5k oil change now.

What I would do if I was you is start with a long, >12 hr, piston soak with Berryman's then run nothing but the new Valvoline Restore and Protect 5w30. At the end of the oil changes if you wanted to speed things up a bit you could do a flush with BG EPR. Valvoline was not out yet and I would run it exclusively unless you wanted to pony up for a HPL passenger car oil.

Good luck just be patient

My k24 burned a lot as well, stuck rings. What I did was a piston soak with Berryman's B12 Chemtool, then many runs of Gumout Multisystem Tune Up, Rislone Engine Treatment 32oz bottles, and then HPL EC30. I also used Motul XClean oil for 2 5k oil changes. All this took place over 2 years and my consumption is about a cup per 5k oil change now.

What I would do if I was you is start with a long, >12 hr, piston soak with Berryman's then run nothing but the new Valvoline Restore and Protect 5w30. At the end of the oil changes if you wanted to speed things up a bit you could do a flush with BG EPR. Valvoline was not out yet and I would run it exclusively unless you wanted to pony up for a HPL passenger car oil.

Good luck just be patient
Why can’t I run the 0w20? Also how can I heat soak with the berrymans

I have had great success with BG EPR and liqui moly proline engine flush.
Don't let people scare you here.
Both products are perfectly safe to clean your ring packs.

Why can’t I run the 0w20? Also how can I heat soak with the berrymans
Pull the plugs cold and soak over a weekend, not hot. I would run 5w30 as that it what I run or higher in my k24. Also it can help not burn as fast reducing top offs.

I'd go 5w30 while you are trying to clean those rings.......
And then after..... especially during the summer if you do a lot of highway driving

For $15 or whatever it costs I'd run a can of Liquimoly Proline Engine Flush and give it a whirl following the directions (idle 15 min). You didn't give a consumption number so that would be useful here. Is the PCV functioning correctly? You can continue to run the 0W20 or can step up to a 30 or even 40 grade to see how it impacts consumption. I'd always start simple working to more complex.

Back