Engine Flush - Opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: KeMBro2012
Originally Posted By: skyship
I just answered all those questions in the other thread, so why ask them again? My opinions are the same as the auto R&D and engineers in my area, they are also in line with what the warranty folks think and are based on many years of figuring out the cause of an expensive blown diesel or transmission.
I've never seen an engine damaged by an idle flush, but old turbos in particular have a problem with the drive around variety. I used to think that idle flushes were safe, but I don't see many petrol engine cars and one senior engineer did give me an ear bending about them causing oil leaks, which as I only ever look at failed engines I don't see too often.

When I posted that, you had not answered any of them. At this point in time, I still do not see those answers in any thread. Can you point me to the appropriate post, please? I mist be missing it.

You won't. Heck I'm still trying to find out what moo oil is. Must only be available overseas I guess

How about do a leak down test and see what the issue is?

Sounds like someone bought a abused BMW.

Im sorry for the late reply . . . Hahahaha was busy in other things.
BTW, regarding the car, we have owned it since 2004. The car is an E39 525i MY2003. When we bought it, it had very low mileage, the problem is that my Dad in the last 4-5 years became careless with the car which led to all these problems.

Here the story:
*Back in 2011 the car engine was getting louder and louder, i never paid attention to it because i thought my father was taking care of it, after a couple months i told him to check the dipstick so we pulled up the stick and it was . . . DRY!

Initially, i thought that the car was only low 1 or 2 quarts since BMW dipsticks usually just shows the last 2 quarts. Then i bought 2 quarts and poured it in, started the engine, turned it off, pulled the stick . . . still not a sign of oil, got 5 more quarts just in case and repeated the same steps mentioned above adding 1 quart at a time . . . i ended up adding 6.5QTS and the engine capacity is 7QTS. Go wonder!
I don't know how long the engine ran dry but this is a testament of German engineering at its best, it was extremely neglected and still ran fine.
Fast forward to 2012, the engine started having very rough idle, problems starting up every morning and low performance.
Took it to our indy, at first we changed the crankcase ventilator/oil separator valve, problem was fixed for like a week and came back again. Mech recommended us to take valve cover and clean the engine and then flush it . . . mech did the job but the rough idling was still present. Mech took the valve cover off again and noticed that one of the camshafts was slightly bent and all screwed up in one side, he ended up replacing the camshaft with another from a dismantled M54 engine.

As of now the car no longer idles rough and the startup problems are a lot better, before we did all this, the engine would fail to start the first try and we needed to try twice every single day for it to start, now it only fails to start like once every two weeks or once a week.

The problem is that i still feel there is lots of sludge left inside the engine and it burns a $h1tload of oil.
Since the engine burns so much oil and any kind of synthetic here is VERY VERY expensive, i use Shell dino oil in it.
I have changed the oil twice since the last time our indy worked on the car.
Original BMW filter + 7QTS of Shell dino oil. I will do another OCI in the next few weeks.

This engine will blow up sooner or later hahahahaha

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back