Engine failure because of oil filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
IIRC, the filter almost looked like it imploded internally. The can looked to be in perfect shape while the internals were smashed together. Who knows what really happened. Definitely wasn't used on an OEM application because like sayjac said, the bug originally had the screen as the filter.

The BMW FRAM Ultra thread here recently probably should be included.

Absent the OP's quick action to change the Ultra out for a OCOD, the engine was poised to be damaged.

The cartridge style FRAM Ultra had collapsed causing engine oil starvation.

Certainly a filter failure luckily caught before the engine was harmed.

Originally Posted By: SilverC6

Absent the OP's quick action to change the Ultra out for a OCOD, the engine was poised to be damaged.

Indeed. Is this the one where Fram wouldn't give him his money back only because he didn't have the receipt?

Originally Posted By: dlundblad

Indeed. Is this the one where Fram wouldn't give him his money back only because he didn't have the receipt?

Yes that's what I recall though I had a strange feeling about what happened for some reason. But I would bet if he just asked for some free filters they would have given them to him but asking for money back without proof of purchase will get denied by most companies.

Originally Posted By: Nate1979
Originally Posted By: dlundblad

Yes that's what I recall though I had a strange feeling about what happened for some reason. But I would bet if he just asked for some free filters they would have given them to him but asking for money back without proof of purchase will get denied by most companies.

I believe the OP asked for just the cost of the oil change.

I thought FRAM would have jumped on that to avoid bad will and potential litigation down the road.

The guy sent FRAM the failed filter so there should have been no question whether he had purchased it or not.

I haven't heard of any Subaru engine failures because of oil filters. But I have read of numerous destroyed Subaru engines, due to cracked oil pickup tubes.

The guy sent FRAM the failed filter so there should have been no question whether he had purchased it or not.

Anyone could tear up a filter on purpose and claim it failed, send it in and want compensation. That's why they wanted proof of purchase, just like any other business that conducts business would do. I doubt any company would jump on that with "no questions asked". Maybe he should have tried returning it to Nordstroms ... I hear they take back stuff they don't even sell. LOL

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

Anyone could tear up a filter on purpose and claim it failed, send it in and want compensation. That's why they wanted proof of purchase, just like any other business that conducts business would do. I doubt any company would jump on that with "no questions asked". Maybe he should have tried returning it to Nordstroms ... I hear they take back stuff they don't even sell. LOL

The guy physically sent the failed filter back to FRAM.

Why would there be any question whether he had purchased it or not?

He sent the filter to FRAM and they said the it had failed, simple.

I'd give the guy two filters and a check for the oil wasted in the short OCI.

The guy physically sent the failed filter back to FRAM.

Why would there be any question whether he had purchased it or not?

He sent the filter to FRAM and they said the it had failed, simple.

I'd give the guy two filters and a check for the oil wasted in the short OCI

Really ... why would there be any question? I could simulate a filter failure every day on a cartridge filter and send it into the manufacture and claiming it failed. Guy could have picked it out of the garbage. At least with some proof of purchase he might have gotten farther.

Guess you better go become the manager of customer service.
grin.gif

Really ... why would there be any question? I could simulate a filter failure every day on a cartridge filter and send it into the manufacture and claiming it failed. Guy could have picked it out of the garbage. At least with some proof of purchase he might have gotten farther.

Guess you better go become the manager of customer service.
grin.gif

Don't need the pay cut.

But I do customer service every day.

Sometimes you win when you don't win.....

But I guess you believe people are basically dishonest.

How about all the Purolator tears?

Do you think those people intentionally tore up their Purolator filters for notoriety or for personal gain?

^^^ Sure, all the dozens of reported Purolator tears were all conducted by Fram shrills and zealots (at least in your mind). LOL ...
grin.gif

^^^ Sure, all the dozens of reported Purolator tears were all conducted by Fram shrills and zealots (at least in your mind). LOL ...
grin.gif

I have never expressed concern over the honesty of our members posting Purolator tear photos.

I'm sure the tears occurred just as reported.

But why is the news of a failed FRAM reported by one of our members suspicious to you?

Please comprehend. I never claimed he staged the failure - quote me where I specifically said that. I said that Fram could think people not having at least proof of purchase could stage something like that and try to scam them, and that's why he didn't get any love from Fram without proof of purchase - especially for the oil. I'm not the business director of Fram, so if you don't like how they handled it then write them a nasty email or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back