Engine Damage caused from 0W20/5W20?

Originally Posted By: CIRHS
the Engine is spec'd for a 5w30 oil. No thanks. I left in for 1st 1000km for the break in. Changed it out 4 weeks ago with 5w60 Group 4/5 synth. Wow what a difference. Apart from Belt noise, injectors and exhaust, I cant hear the engine. Hot or Cold.

Originally Posted By: Brent_G
I personally run 5w20 in our built Dodge 440. The engine has dynoed at a bit over 600 hp, but it is only drove on the street with mild WOT. It also has countless 1/4 passes while spraying 150hp shot of nitrous with no ill effects.

surprised-005.gif

Originally Posted By: [RT
ProjUltraZ]
the Engine is spec'd for a 5w30 oil. No thanks. I left in for 1st 1000km for the break in. Changed it out 4 weeks ago with 5w60 Group 4/5 synth. Wow what a difference. Apart from Belt noise, injectors and exhaust, I cant hear the engine. Hot or Cold.

surprised-005.gif

Dont be shocked mate, most members on LS1 Forum in Aus Run an xw-60 oil in LSX V8 engines. Some have also done Filtergram analysis of xw-30 vs xw-60 and found a lot less wear particles in xw-60.

Originally Posted By: AEHaas

I have worked with several oil formulators, I have discussed things with some of the top research scientists in the automotive field and conversed and shared data with the likes of Ferrari North America.

What I have investigated is far from random data points. I apologize but I am just too busy any more to elaborate further.

aehaas

I call [censored], surprised no one else has called it.

Am Doc your a Cardiologist am I right?? I just cant see Ferrari taking recommendations from a cardiologist. I mean its like me (mechanical engineer) talking advice from an accountant in engineering matters. No no no Doc I cant believe this. Your Motor Oil 101 is well written but you just undone yourself with the statement above.

If they did, then you also must have advised GM to got from "Select Engine Build" to "Net Engine Build".

Also conversing with top research scientist from the automotive field. Please elaborate. I was under the impression cardiology was a demanding field.

Anyways please respond, and elaborate.

Am Doc your a Cardiologist am I right??

His signature ad link is for a home inspection service.

My 2005 Honda Accord V-6 has been fed a steady diet of 5W or 0W-20 since new and it has 183K miles on it with no engine issues. Granted, I've only used PYB, PP, or M-1 since day two.
Do you still have you 2005 Honda Accord. My wife drives hers it’s a 4 cylinder and only 89 thousand miles on it be bought it used about 7 years ago with only 27 thousand miles on it. We run 5-20 Amsiol oil and used Royal purple and filter before and it did great. I don’t like mobile one in it. My thoughts on it

Do you still have you 2005 Honda Accord. My wife drives hers it’s a 4 cylinder and only 89 thousand miles on it be bought it used about 7 years ago with only 27 thousand miles on it. We run 5-20 Amsiol oil and used Royal purple and filter before and it did great. I don’t like mobile one in it. My thoughts on it
Welcome to bitog! I’ve made such a mistake in past too, this thread is 9 years old :) If you have an issue it’s better to start a new one in the same forum section

That person he quoted hasn’t been on since 2019 either so he won’t even get the notifications. He is from my part of the state and I know someone with that first initial last name I’ll check and see with him if it’s him and see if he will come back on.

I'm at a point where both our Subies are due new oil since it's been 6 months since last change. Before I go out and make the purchase, I sometimes like to go on the web to see if anything new has popped up on the subject of oil.

I came across the following site that has some interesting perspectives on the best oil for Subaru: Top 5 Best Oil Brand for Subaru Review 2021 - Expert Buying Guide & FAQs. Anyway, in their site Q&A section, I came across the following:

Q. Can I use 5W-30 instead of 0W-20?
Answer:
In warm states, Subaru experts recommend using 5W-30 and, in colder states, use 0W-20.

Thoughts? On another forum, this website was pretty much ripped a new one.

Over the past 6 months, my '14 Outback has been driven maybe 1800 miles while my '18 Crosstrek just under 3K miles. 95% of the miles is stop-and-go short distances obviously. I use Valvoline Modern Engine 5W30 which is quite expensive. Do I really need the oil change?

What part of that statement are you objecting to? Ripped a new one for what reason?
I'm not objecting to it. In fact, despite the 0W20 recommended by Subaru, I use 5W30. The other forum's members dug into the site and came up with stuff that raises questions about the site's integrity. They were brutal! 😅

Back