Engine coin balance...

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is where precision manufacture and engineering come in, try this with a less expensive V6 or 4 cylinder.

V12's also hold an edge because like I6's they are perfectly balanced.

My old 1995 Nissan Maxima could do it, and that was a "less expensive" V6.
wink.gif

The engine moved quit a bit when he started it. What kept it from falling then? Watch it again. It obviously moves to the passenger when cranking. My feeling is the coin should have moved then unless the groove is helping to hold it up. No doubt the engine is smooth, but I think this a bit off.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
wink.gif

It was in one of the Nissan commercials too..
The old 4.5 Infiniti V8.

Nissan has built some legendary engines, and the one in your 95 Maxima was one of them that's for sure.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
wink.gif

I was going to say the Buick's engine doesn't move when idling, only when starting.

If my civic had a flat top I could do that at idle with out it tipping over.. and those groves are helping it not move...

Originally Posted By: L_Sludger
My insight's 3 cylinder would launch that coin into orbit, it's that shaky.

That made me laugh, not sure why, but it did.

the argument is pointless: everybody knows that anything V6 or higher (V8, V12, V16(if they ever make one)) is going be smooth.

A 4cyl with counterbalance shaft can also achieve close to that of a V6 in terms of smoothness also.

Q.

The K24 in our CR-V is smooth for a 4-banger, but it's not so smooth that coin wouldn't move. The Acura could do it though. The V-6 in that Acura is probably the smoothest engine I've owned...perhaps tied with the Northstar V-8.

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
This is where precision manufacture and engineering come in, try this with a less expensive V6 or 4 cylinder.

V12's also hold an edge because like I6's they are perfectly balanced.

If I ever have the need to drive down the road with a coin balanced on my engine I'll keep that in mind. Until then my fuel sipping, simple (cheap) to maintain 4 cylinder engines will do just fine.

Yep....it's pretty smooth....but it's those grooves providing the extra stability for the coin. They ride up onto the coin much further than a flat surface would.

The coin test also works with rotary engines, if there was a flat space to put the coin.

I don't remember how many times I forgot that I already started the engine of any Mazda RX-8 that I was working on.

I have heard that this supposedly works well with Boxer engines, but I am not so sure.

Wouldn't work at all on the Jeep. It was pretty smooth at idle stock, and still is, but with the cam, etc, it has just a little shake to it, enough to tip the coin.

I can't start it with the coin in place. (and I tried several times, it just isn't going to happen) but it will balance at idle.

If I apply the throttle it falls off too. (had to remove the beauty shroud to retrieve the nickel when that happened)But I don't have the ribs holding it in place and the manifold is a rounded surface.

HPIM1375.jpg

It would bounce like a rubber ball on the Chrysler turbo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back