Energy Saving Tips - Please Share

This may sound dumb, but I also switch out LED bulbs for my leftover incandescent bulbs in ceiling fans. I put the fans on reverse rotation, low during the winter to push the warm air down. With electric baseboard heat, I’m not losing any efficiency and I’d rather send the old bulbs to the grave dead instead of useful. It also takes a (minor) load off the LED bulbs. Ya know, so they last 2 decades instead of 1.999. :unsure:
Not dumb at all. I have switched almost all of my lights to led. Less load on the generator during outages.

Drafts can be a big heat loss and are probably the cheapest losses to fix.
Yeah I agree. If you have loose fitting windows (old). I’ve had some success with just cutting up pieces of insulation and jamming it into places where I can feel some air/looseness. Saw a neighbor doing it once, gave it a try, seems to allow the window to operate like it was supposed to.

Totally get using things up but using incandescents in winter until they blow to recover the heat they make when they use 5x more energy than LEDs seems counter productive. They cost just over a buck new.

Totally get using things up but using incandescents in winter until they blow to recover the heat they make when they use 5x more energy than LEDs seems counter productive. They cost just over a buck new.

The 5X energy goes practically all to heat. With the fans on reverse, that heat is distributed throughout the room. I mean, it’s 150W or so more, so not much, but also not nothing. Also, my BR faces south and we have bedside lights, which are smart LEDs, so the main room lights aren‘t on for more than a fee hours per day, max.

Edit: I actually forgot I still had incandescents. Last night I found a full bin of all the incandescent and CFL bulbs I replaced with LED when I first moved in. The CFL will be properly disposed of, but I figured I’d get something out of the incandescent before they go to the landfill.

For us it's windows (and door corner seals which I fixed).

We have decent 2x pane, sealed, etc windows, but still they aren't nice hefty insulated walls. Now what's a bummer and I get it but curtains aren't in style. So we use the good doublesided drop blinds. At night or any room we aren't in during the day. BUT I always like blinds AND hefty curtains.

For us it's windows (and door corner seals which I fixed).

We have decent 2x pane, sealed, etc windows, but still they aren't nice hefty insulated walls. Now what's a bummer and I get it but curtains aren't in style. So we use the good doublesided drop blinds. At night or any room we aren't in during the day. BUT I always like blinds AND hefty curtains.

My windows seem fine, but they’re definitely older. I wonder if the energy audit guys will use a thermal imager to check for cold spots inside or lost heat outside…

Heavy thermal curtains are on the list of things that we need to install (should have already done). We have simple, cheap blinds. For the summer I’m trying to figure out what to use to block the heat AND keep it outside. I’m just spitballing here, but maybe just some closed-cell foam with a metallic backing to reflect (Al foil?) Half of my windows and the skylights in our BR and LR are south-facing. We pretty much keep the shades drawn on that side all summer. We also have a giant sliding glass door from the kitchen, which also lets in a ton of heat (great in the window, especially with a lower sun, but brutal in the summer.

FWIW, the south side (back) of my house faces nothing but woods, so I’m not concerned with how any solution I might implement will look. I‘ll also get plenty of light from the north-facing and west-facing windows.

Yep - only bulbs that are not LED = heat lamp for the cat 🐈

I briefly considered buying a heat lamp for the dog. I honestly didn’t think the 75W heat pad in his crate would be warm enough. It’s very warm in there. I could probably turn it down, but why bother? He seems to like it.

My windows seem fine, but they’re definitely older. I wonder if the energy audit guys will use a thermal imager to check for cold spots inside or lost heat outside…

Heavy thermal curtains are on the list of things that we need to install (should have already done). We have simple, cheap blinds. For the summer I’m trying to figure out what to use to block the heat AND keep it outside. I’m just spitballing here, but maybe just some closed-cell foam with a metallic backing to reflect (Al foil?) Half of my windows and the skylights in our BR and LR are south-facing. We pretty much keep the shades drawn on that side all summer. We also have a giant sliding glass door from the kitchen, which also lets in a ton of heat (great in the window, especially with a lower sun, but brutal in the summer.

FWIW, the south side (back) of my house faces nothing but woods, so I’m not concerned with how any solution I might implement will look. I‘ll also get plenty of light from the north-facing and west-facing windows.
Even the best windows, are still windows 😁

Thermal curtains and double thick shades sounds awesome. What the heck at night unless you have a lighted hilltop view, do you need the blinds open?

Mi beautiful wife simply will not allow curtains. So that ends that.

Anyway we have these Levelor pleated double shades that are a decent compromise. Cheapie plastic (venetian??) blinds are terrible. Worse are those vertical things. I used to like those - good gravy, terrible. Plastic is not a bad insulator done right but unsealed just hanging thing, sure some radiant blocking ability is about it.

Usually the best ROI is on insulating and eliminating drafts, however it needs to be done properly, otherwise it may cause other issues like trapped moisture which will lead to mold.

I would avoid the trap of upgrading appliance for more efficient ones if the ones you have are still in good working order and have lots of life left. There is usually no ROI at all in such cases, despite seemingly large efficiency improvement on paper. Thankless water heaters come to mind.

Another good one that my grandparents practiced in winter, dress up. Yup, works like a charm.

Other than that there isn't a whole lot you can do without spending a lot of money.

Here is a good video of a government program somewhere in England aimed at reducing energy costs that has a significant negative side effect on health. But that's the homeowner problem now.

Please keep in mind that you need to have some fresh air leakage into your winter house, don't plug all the gaps to end up feeling sick because of stale CO homes. We always keep a window open, typically the ensuite bathroom and yes, when it's -24C outdoors this makes exiting the shower a bit of a shock, I can justify the fresh air.

I would suggest correcting inexpensive areas such as drafts, adding insulation (DIY) and weather stripping. "Improve " on what you have such as leaky doors, areas needing cauking and leaky windows. Plastic window insulation does wonders on large patio doors. To me it makes no sense to replace all windows and doors with energy efficient ones. It likely will take many years if not more than a decade to recoup the money spent on such items to save a small amount every month.

Even the best windows, are still windows 😁

Thermal curtains and double thick shades sounds awesome. What the heck at night unless you have a lighted hilltop view, do you need the blinds open?

Mi beautiful wife simply will not allow curtains. So that ends that.

Anyway we have these Levelor pleated double shades that are a decent compromise. Cheapie plastic (venetian??) blinds are terrible. Worse are those vertical things. I used to like those - good gravy, terrible. Plastic is not a bad insulator done right but unsealed just hanging thing, sure some radiant blocking ability is about it.

Exactly right about the shades. Our windows are blocked by the woods in the back and front, but my wife doesn’t like the idea of having the blinds open at night. I don’t think anyone does really unless, like you say, there’s a heckuva view.

WRT thermal curtains: we have allergies, but I think I’m more allergic to high electric bills! In all seriousness, we run filters in every room: on high at night in the rooms for sleep noise, as needed in the dining room and living room. I keep one behind the entertainment center on auto 24/7 to minimize the dust buildup. It seems to help, but I’m always surprised at how much cam buildup in things like my router, which is back there and forgotten about until I need to update the firmware several times per year.

I‘m also looking to install a set of curtains as a barrier between the living room and the rest of the floor - it’s all open, no doors or even a place small enough to install a door. I don’t need it to be sealed, but if I can create even a moderate temp differential that would be great. I don’t see the need to keep the whole floor at the same temp as we might want in the living room.

Please keep in mind that you need to have some fresh air leakage into your winter house, don't plug all the gaps to end up feeling sick because of stale CO homes. We always keep a window open, typically the ensuite bathroom and yes, when it's -24C outdoors this makes exiting the shower a bit of a shock, I can justify the fresh air.

That’s a very good point! I’ll have to look it up, but I believe I read an article about something similar with vehicles WRT CO2 buildup with the vent on recirc for extended periods of time with the car bottled up. Cars are far from air-tight, so I was surprised when I read that. I never considered the same thing in my house. I don’t think my house is tight enough to be THAT concerned, though.

I also have all electric everything, so while inert gas buildup isn’t a concern, there is no option to inject fresh air. We do use the bathroom vent fan often and the doors are opened pretty frequently for things like letting the dog out.

I would suggest correcting inexpensive areas such as drafts, adding insulation (DIY) and weather stripping. "Improve " on what you have such as leaky doors, areas needing cauking and leaky windows. Plastic window insulation does wonders on large patio doors. To me it makes no sense to replace all windows and doors with energy efficient ones. It likely will take many years if not more than a decade to recoup the money spent on such items to save a small amount every month.

I agree that the simple things, especially those that are cheap and easy to DIY, should be done no matter what. I think the rest depends. I mean, my double pane windows aren’t new and the seal on the south-facing has warped, but they still seal and having them replaced doesn’t make any sense right now. I also don’t overcool/heat my house.

I think the math would look a lot different for someone with old, single pane windows and/or someone who keeps the temp a lot different than outside.

I also had to replaced a door in my old condo that might have been the original from the 60s. The wood actually cracked in several places and you could see through to the outside! Before this and even with the cracks taped well and the door well-sealed that part of the kitchen was always cold. I was blown away by the difference in temperature after it was replaced.

Last edited:
I briefly considered buying a heat lamp for the dog. I honestly didn’t think the 75W heat pad in his crate would be warm enough. It’s very warm in there. I could probably turn it down, but why bother? He seems to like it.
We have a pad too … use that when not too cold but the cat will not stay in an enclosure because of other cats that roam - so for really cold nights flip on the lamp too …

Edit: she sleeps in our pool pump shed - so good roof and the wind is blocked …

Last edited:
We have a pad too … use that when not too cold but the cat will not stay in an enclosure because of other cats that roam - so for really cold nights flip on the lamp too …

That’s smart. His crate is inside, so it doesn’t usually get much lower than 50F. He also has a nice fur coat Lol

We currently toss a cover over the crate, but I’m thinking about making something to better insulate. I don’t think it’s required to keep him warm, but blocking out some light and sound will probably allow him to relax a little easier. It’ll have to be somewhat robust, though. Surprisingly, he doesn’t ever try to damage the crate or the little play area we zip-tied to it, but he will destroy things if he gets bored (the reason we crate him at night and while away for short periods).

Reactions: 4WD
I plasticized all but 3 windows and the entire back door. That's helped a lot but the money used to buy the window kits could have just been used towards the gas bill. I'm thinking of just using/reusing painter plastic floor cover like my dad. Doesn't look good but reusing them will save money.

Our climate is super mild but I switched to all LED bulbs and put smart plugs with a timer for less used things like the garage stereo, printer and coffee maker. Other than that it's just changing the idea of what you consider comfortable. Go for a swim in a cold pool or take a cold shower and you instantly are better able to tolerate heat and cold both.
I plasticized all but 3 windows and the entire back door. That's helped a lot but the money used to buy the window kits could have just been used towards the gas bill. I'm thinking of just using/reusing painter plastic floor cover like my dad. Doesn't look good but reusing them will save money.

I actually just bought a Duck max strength kit. Supposedly the film is reusable, you just have to buy more double-sided tape. My windows aren’t drafty, so it may not be a good ROI.

I also plan to seal a stupid, redundant door semi-permanently with removable caulk. The door is never used and pretty much acts like a window since it’s half glass.

Back