Energy Efficiency Report from my Utility ... :-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: exranger06
Originally Posted By: KrisZ
... and once everyone starts conserving, the same utilities will be crying about reduced profits and will jack up the price. Besides, why should we conserve when the plan is to go solar and wind? In fact we should be encouraged to use more.

Utilities are heavily regulated and they can only make a certain amount of profit. If they make too much money, they have to send customers a refund. If they don't make enough money, the government covers their losses. So there is no incentive to encourage customers to use tons of electricity. The utility will not make more money as a result of more electric usage. If people do use too much electricity, all that means is a potentially overloaded system, burned up transformers, and the need to spend money to make upgrades to handle increased power demands. So the utility has incentive to encourage people to conserve energy, and no incentive for people to use more energy.

I'm not sure how universal that is. KrisZ's comment directly reflects the gong show we have here in Ontario where we are paying wind farms for curtailment or paying the US to take excess generation due to conservation, which has been the direct result of skyrocketing energy prices. The last rate increase from the Ontario Energy Board was due to consumers not using enough power (conserving too much) which cut into the profits of Hydro ONE and other utilities.

Also, many of these private generation contracts have minimum monthly compensation clauses tied to them, so you could pay them for an entire month of curtailment and still end up paying them the minimum rate for power as well.

And then you have to look at the operating costs of big thermals, which are significant. Their viability hinges on production; the more kWh they produce in a month, the lower the cost per kWh to operate the facility. This is why nukes are generally run wide-open. If you reduce demand, you make that power more expensive. If you suppress it via intermittents, you are doing the same. Eventually, the thermal may become non-viable, which will then shift the role it was occupying to imports or peakers, both of which will be even more expensive. A nat-gas peaker in Ontario gets paid, on average, more than double what the coal plants they replaced were as well as standby compensation; they are paid to sit idle.

Ontario's demand has, since the GEA (Green Energy Act) dropped by more than 20TWh a year. Consumer rates during that period have gone from $0.047/kWh to an average of $0.13/kWh. In-step with the uptick has been an increase in the cost of delivery (a separate line-item billed by Ontario utilities) which is used to cover the cost of transmission infrastructure, something these utilities, most notably Hydro ONE, have been dumping billions into to connect disparate green generators to the existing grid. They are not expected to shoulder that cost and so it is passed on to consumers.

Shannow has covered some of this (with an Australian perspective) in great detail with respect to the impact of driving thermals out of the market via subsidized renewables which are incapable of shouldering the burden they are then presented with reliably, making the installation of expensive standby capacity necessary and subsequently increasing consumer costs.

Perhaps your system is better run
21.gif

We had smart meters installed a few years back. At the time, our provider offered us apps where we could check the electric usage, and a nice webpage portal.

Now we are on a discounted provider, they don't offer any real time access to the meter at all, they just send us a paper bill at the end of the month. I guess less gadgets and gizmos equals a lower bill.

We are paying super low rates from gexa.

I get those kind of notices and seems I'm always around the middle range.
With a week or so of sudden triple digit temps I been running the AC day & night.
I'm gonna pay not to suffer. I don't just mean the electric bill, I don't want to hear it from the wife. She doesn't work so I better keep the home cool during the summer or else...

Originally Posted By: Rand
I have a 1950's capecod with central air and a window unit in the finished attic (office) it has knee walls and superheated roof air on 3 sides.

Story of my life.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
Originally Posted By: L_Sludger
Good job. It must be hot and miserable at your home.

Nope. Got a dual zone Rheem high efficiency central air / gas furnace HVAC rockin' a 2100 sq ft 1.5 story w/ 2x4 walls sitting on a crawl space, the usual recent build (2005), wrapped in tyvek then brick veneer 1st level upper half vinyl, 50 gal gas water heater. Attic is typical gravity venting with vent piece running length at peak, and normal soffits at the overhangs.

Thermostat goes to 76F while at work, down to 74 when get home and for the night. Winter it's set at 66 while at work and up to 69 when get home.
Nice insulation job then.
cheers3.gif

I get those all the time, they keep my shredder busy.
They usually say that I use 50-60% more.
However generally, their comps are smaller houses. Plus, I have never seen any of their comps that factor in a hot tub.
I have added triple pane windows, have beefed up insulation and added HE appliances, plus have 90+% efficiency HVAC.
Wish they were more concerned about conserving trees.

I know here some give you a discounted rate the more you use. With my company it's cheaper rate to use over 1500kwh a month and another they give you a 30 dollar bill credit for using over 1200kwh.

Lots of neighbor never turn on the heater in the winter or AC in summer. I have young kids and don't want them to get eczema, so I'll just pay up.

Data is really pointless without household size, or whether they have housewives or working spouse.

Yeah, our provider offers us a $30 monthly discount for under 1000kwh, I hit that about 11 months out of the year. Its getting tough to get a bill over $100 for electric here. Most months are $20-$50.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back