"Empty" Jug - How Much Oil Remains???

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I worked at the dealership, we used genuine oil in 4 litre and 1 litre containers...everyone would pour it in and toss the container. I'd collect them all (and mine) and drain them into another 4 litre. That's my oil stash at home.

I did that early this year, drained about 15 single quart bottles in a funnel in the corner of the garage, each for 1/2 the day or so. 15 bottles gave me 2/3 of a quart! I'm using it for top offs.

Free simple trick:

When I'm servicing any of the 8 family vehicles, I always drain as much as possible while I'm adding oil (within reason), then I put the lid back on and set them on the floor in my garage in a corner upside down, with the bottom of the jug leaning against the wall. It's literally known as my "oil wall" haha. I'll leave them there a minimum of a week, sometimes a month, until someone needs topped off or I condense them into my leftover 5qt bottles. I always keep them separated, and never waste any. It all adds up, and eventually I get a free quart here and there. When I'm done and the bottles are truly empty, they're dry enough to actually be accepted for recycling (although my 5qt jugs usually aren't, they end up being reused to transport used oil to be recycled, and end up nasty and have to be trashed). Either way, less waste.

I pour my oil from one of those 5 liter jugs into my large red Helen Keller funnel. When it changes from a stream to just a few drops per minute I place it on the cardboard that's on the garage floor. I then take my oil pan containing the used oil and place it's spout into the newly emptied oil jug and pour the used oil into the jug and tighten the cap on. Once I accumulate a couple of jugs I drop them off at an oil change place in town that takes used oil from do-it- yourselfers, and then get on with my life. But good for you guys.
smile.gif

I pour it till it slowly drips and then toss it.

I used to take the 1 qt bottles and let them sit for a while then pour them all into one bottle, after about 5 oil changes I had 1/2 a qt, decided to not bother with it.

On a related note, I tried Idemitsu Honda Type DW-1 ATF recently in wifey's 2006 TSX commuter.
Dunno if it was the container material (plastic) blend or the fluid, but it drained very throughly.
Noticely better than I have seen before.

Perhaps this quandary is the impetus behind the trend toward lower and lower viscosity oils. They drain faster.

Last edited:
IIRC my father would get an extra quart out of a case by doing this--pretty sure he let it drain for more than a day though. Van was chugging oil and this was quite necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back