Employment quiz- would you have gotten this sample question correct?

Year ago when Lucent (AT&T) manufacturing was outsourced and my job was gone, I applied for a mid level engineering job at a component manufacturer that I had used often. At one point in the interview, the inhouse HR guy had me assembling washers and nuts onto bolts following some simple verbal instructions. When I questioned why - he said everybody gets this test. Oh boy.

I can understand the exercise. At a previous job, I had to hand-write a letter to one of the owners expressing my interest in the position and company.

I was told what he was looking for was the ability to write coherent sentences, spelling and original thoughts. He turned out to be a mammoth AH, but I respected the request.

I would do the same, but I would most likely adjust the pay rate - higher for higher performers of the testing, lower or rescind any offers for poor performers.

Reactions: GON
Probably true.

Why? Ms. Oliver may not know about the new schedule, not like the new schedule and still be using the old one, or maybe Mr. Brown hasn't checked his email to see whether the schedule is approved or not and it's a Schrodinger's question until he does.

"Gotcha" logic questions always treat humans like binary computers. No. Just no.
I truly believe as I type, my co. is way too disorganized and as such, AI cannot do anything for it, which is good for me and utilization of my skills. Our processes are not repeatable nor predictable.

I'd like to see how people under 50 today reason and answer these questions.
They are better suited to....

Gina rents an apartment for $2800/mo. She just got a new smartphone for $1900. Now she needs a new electric car and what she wants is $78,000. Suddenly, she finds that the expenses are getting tight with her $72,000/yr entry level salary.

Her boyfriend Tommy used to work on the docks, but the union's been on strike. He's down on his luck and it's tough.

What can be deduced from the above and considered to be true?

a) They're half way there
b) They're living on a prayer
c) She took Tommy's hand cuz they'll make it he swears
d) This is seemingly right out of Bon Jovi

The new schedule calls for Ms. Oliver's work hours to be 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.”
Ms. Oliver may like to get settled and arrive early before she starts her day after the schedule change. Before WFH, many did that, so she is there at 8 AM, and begins her workday at that time, despite the scheduled time that has changed. Explanation? She doesn't punch a clock and is salaried.

Ms. Oliver may like to get settled and arrive early before she starts her day after the schedule change. Before WFH, many did that, so she is there at 8 AM, and begins her workday at that time, despite the scheduled time that has changed. Explanation? She doesn't punch a clock and is salaried.
Yes, but you said, “nothing says she was in the group the schedule applied to.” In fact, it does say that.

The new schedule calls for Ms. Oliver's work hours to be 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.”
And, It doesn't say they were changed to 8:30 a.m. or to become 8;30 a.m.

It states her workday begins at 8:00 a.m

What does "Begin" mean? It does not say "she starts her shift at" or starts "Work" at 8:00 a.m.

"Ms. Oliver's workday begins as she grabs her purse and a thermos of piping hot and strongly brewed coffee
and heads out of the condex to her newly leased, shining Mercedes E350 for the start of her morning commute."

I despise these questions as oftentimes you will not have the chance to argue your reasoning or rebuke incongruent, poorly conceived logic problems.

quote-by GON
I think I will die sooner than if I not retire.....

I will never ever understand a statement like this.....

I told an interviewer we can do bull HR feel good pageant questions all day or you can ask valid questions about the actual job....

Been working that job going on 3 years now.

What does "Begin" mean? It does not say "she starts her shift at" or starts "Work" at 8:00 a.m.

"Ms. Oliver's workday begins as she grabs her purse and a thermos of piping hot and strongly brewed coffee
and heads out of the condex to her newly leased, shining Mercedes E350 for the start of her morning commute."

I despise these questions as oftentimes you will not have the chance to argue your reasoning or rebuke incongruent, poorly conceived logic problems.
Dude. Read all my posts. You’re reading me way wrong.

Agreed. It says what it could become, and ends with what it currently is. It says nothing about if a change occurred. Therefore, not enough information to determine if a decision was made or not, and if so, which way.

Not sure I’d want to work there, if they had a different answer in mind.

Just finished four different modules. The third of the fourth module was nutty, watch a video about conflict between employees and rate in a scale how to address the issue(s). Not a fan of these assessments. No idea how I scored, no feedback after completion.

After finsihing the two hour assessment- I was sent back to the application module, which then stated:
"There was a security error processing your request. Please try again or contact the system administrator."

Of course there is no system administrator to contact. No phone number to call. Do you start the assessment all over again? The organization I am applying to contracts monster dot com to process the application and associated assessments.

I so dislike IT and many of the people promoting this type of process. If a system doesn't provide an incident number, and a phone number to call and get a live human for an instance like this- the organization blew it when they contracted out the hiring screening.
Apparently a cnet or recent tech article has said some companies have wanted people to code or program for them on a project and they weren't even hired on yet without pay! I also talked to one guy who was hired given a start date gave his current employer notice only to be told the company went into a "hiring freeze" and he couldn't start until the hiring freeze is lifted! I've never been a great test taker, and always disliked some of these goofy "no wrong answer but there is a best answer " test.

You should have selected "Necessarily true." Ms. Oliver's hours would have become 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., had Mr. Brown obtained his supervisor's approval for the new work schedule. As her workday begins at 8:00 a.m., it is necessarily true that the new work schedule is not in effect and so has not been approved by Mr. Brown's supervisor. The use of scratch paper is allowed.
How did you get the answer? Or is it your guess.

We have "If" in the first sentence which indicates present tense, then "to be" in the second sentence indication future tense. Ms. Oliver may have showed up at work at her 'old' start time and the new hours could go into effect with notification during that day, effective immediately; though it is unreasonable to assume a worker could possibly be required to extend their workday on some day notice. But the tense is "Begins" not began. If we assume "Workday begins" means she clocked in, then considering the previous tense of "If" and "to be"
I would come to your conclusion Necessary True - though I would tend to Probably True**

**For stupid illogical reasons like "Why does Brown have a supervisor, is he not Oliver's supervisor, where he would work under a manager? Why is this low-life changing peoples' workhours, LOL!.

Then questioning "Workday begins" which does not necessarily point to being "clocked in at zero hour"

- Arco

Last edited:
"Does the candidate know how to perform the tasks of the job?" "No, but he passed the assessment!" "Great, give him an offer!" -Corporate

Back