Employment quiz- would you have gotten this sample question correct?

GON

$100 Site Donor 2024
Taking another employment quiz- the quiz writer(s) call it an assessment. would you get this sample question correct by the quiz writers mind?
SAMPLE QUESTION

S2.Premises:If Mr. Brown receives his supervisor's approval, the new work schedule goes into effect immediately. The new schedule calls for Ms. Oliver's work hours to be 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Ms. Oliver's workday begins at 8:00 a.m.
Conclusion:Mr. Brown has not yet obtained his supervisor's approval.

Necessarily true.
Probably, but not necessarily, true.
Indeterminable, cannot be determined.
Probably, but not necessariy, false.
Necessarily false.

You should have selected "Necessarily true." Ms. Oliver's hours would have become 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., had Mr. Brown obtained his supervisor's approval for the new work schedule. As her workday begins at 8:00 a.m., it is necessarily true that the new work schedule is not in effect and so has not been approved by Mr. Brown's supervisor. The use of scratch paper is allowed.

Went with none of the above for this one- my answer was $315.

In 1974, the basic needs standard for a family of four was $420. The total income for the Smith family of four was $180.00 per month, of which the first $30.00 plus one-third of the remainder was disregarded in determining countable income. The amount of the payment was based upon a reduced standard of 75% of the basic needs standard less the family's countable income. How much would the Smith family receive per month if they applied for assistance?

$106.00
$225.00
$331.00
$346.00
None of the above.

Went with none of the above for this one- my answer was $315.

In 1974, the basic needs standard for a family of four was $420. The total income for the Smith family of four was $180.00 per month, of which the first $30.00 plus one-third of the remainder was disregarded in determining countable income. The amount of the payment was based upon a reduced standard of 75% of the basic needs standard less the family's countable income. How much would the Smith family receive per month if they applied for assistance?

$106.00
$225.00
$331.00
$346.00
None of the above.
Believe it would be $215-75% of $420 is $315, their income is $180-30=$150, 1/3 of $150 is $50. $150-$50=$100. $315-$100=$215.

Taking another employment quiz- the quiz writer(s) call it an assessment. would you get this sample question correct by the quiz writers mind?
SAMPLE QUESTION

S2.Premises:If Mr. Brown receives his supervisor's approval, the new work schedule goes into effect immediately. The new schedule calls for Ms. Oliver's work hours to be 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Ms. Oliver's workday begins at 8:00 a.m.
Conclusion:Mr. Brown has not yet obtained his supervisor's approval.

Necessarily true.
Probably, but not necessarily, true.
Indeterminable, cannot be determined.
Probably, but not necessariy, false.
Necessarily false.

You should have selected "Necessarily true." Ms. Oliver's hours would have become 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., had Mr. Brown obtained his supervisor's approval for the new work schedule. As her workday begins at 8:00 a.m., it is necessarily true that the new work schedule is not in effect and so has not been approved by Mr. Brown's supervisor. The use of scratch paper is allowed.
The operative term in this one is the FIRST one-“IF”. That means the whole rest of it hasn’t happened yet!

The first question is of the form, "If A, then B". This is logically equivalent to the contrapositive, "If not B, then not A".

A = Mr. Brown receives his supervisor's approval
B = Ms. Oliver's work hours begin at 8:30am.

So if Ms. Oliver's work day started at 8am, that means we have "not B", which implies "not A".

Just finished four different modules. The third of the fourth module was nutty, watch a video about conflict between employees and rate in a scale how to address the issue(s). Not a fan of these assessments. No idea how I scored, no feedback after completion.

After finsihing the two hour assessment- I was sent back to the application module, which then stated:
"There was a security error processing your request. Please try again or contact the system administrator."

Of course there is no system administrator to contact. No phone number to call. Do you start the assessment all over again? The organization I am applying to contracts monster dot com to process the application and associated assessments.

I so dislike IT and many of the people promoting this type of process. If a system doesn't provide an incident number, and a phone number to call and get a live human for an instance like this- the organization blew it when they contracted out the hiring screening.

Last edited:
I do a part time job occasionally. I remember this one.....
"Is it ever Ok to lie to your supervisor?"

My reply was "yes"

Based on real world experience in a very large corporate company - my manager was under investigation for something. I was asked about it. HR had made it abundantly clear that this was extremely confidential. My manager asked me what HR wanted with me. She's seen me go into the HR office - her office was facing HR........ and my reply was that I'd gone in there about something or other about an employees timecard.....

I mean, corporate told me not to say squat. I didn't say squat.

This is a horrible question. Obviously anyone capable of basic logic can determine that the new schedule is not yet in effect, and if it’s not in effect, it’s because approval is still pending.

However, it’s completely glossing over the fact that people can break rules. I strongly contend the best answer is:

“Probably, but not necessarily, true.”

Year ago when Lucent (AT&T) manufacturing was outsourced and my job was gone, I applied for a mid level engineering job at a component manufacturer that I had used often. At one point in the interview, the inhouse HR guy had me assembling washers and nuts onto bolts following some simple verbal instructions. When I questioned why - he said everybody gets this test. Oh boy.

I went indeterminable. The relationship is unclear. Nothing says that Ms. Oliver is in the group that the new schedule would apply to. At any rate, they should all be less productive and go to a 5 day WFH routine.

Probably true.

Why? Ms. Oliver may not know about the new schedule, not like the new schedule and still be using the old one, or maybe Mr. Brown hasn't checked his email to see whether the schedule is approved or not and it's a Schrodinger's question until he does.

"Gotcha" logic questions always treat humans like binary computers. No. Just no.

Year ago when Lucent (AT&T) manufacturing was outsourced and my job was gone, I applied for a mid level engineering job at a component manufacturer that I had used often. At one point in the interview, the inhouse HR guy had me assembling washers and nuts onto bolts following some simple verbal instructions. When I questioned why - he said everybody gets this test. Oh boy.
I was expert on Definity G3R, Then S8800, and my job went away 2015. Thank goodness I was simply transitioned elsewhere, no "take a test to prove you deserve your salary" deal

Back