EMERGENCY can anything help a slipping trans..??

Status
Not open for further replies.
So there are a couple things I will share:

1. First check trans fluid level, top off with quarts of Maxlife ATF if low.
2. Trans-X is the only thing I would ever use to try to help an ailing tranny make it farther. My brother has recommended this frequently for people who don't have a lot of coin to drop and nearly flawless results. It's the real deal.
3. Avoid Lucas anything like $5 hookers with undercover cops on stakeout across the street.
4. Lubegard Red to me is more for transmissions that don't have physical problems (i.e. worn out, as 4T60s tend to get), it is for sticky valvebodies, flaring shifts, etc.

I'd recommend follow these steps in order.

Originally Posted by rubberchicken
Originally Posted by Reddy45
Originally Posted by rubberchicken
Are you sure your not being played for money ? I would start by just checking the fluid level.

That should not be asked. This is a woman from the sounds of it. Listen and believe always.

So only males can be devious and dishonest ? Patrick Kane would like a word with you.
You leave Pat Kane out of this!

Assuming fluid is at the right level, can Trans-X just be added to any existing fluid then without draining things?

Does anyone want to even gather a guesstimate about how far they'd expect a car slipping under full throttle to possibly last? I mean I don't know if it's 10's of miles, 100's of miles, or 1000's of miles. If the highway miles once in gear are no big deal (just avoiding downshifting on those hills) or if even baby throttled city shifts are the killer. I asked her to take a picture of the trans fluid against some white paper towels and send me a picture, i'll post it if I get a chance but that wont happen until sunday. (i'm out of the area working having to make up what I spent helping to make my own bills next week) I'm thinking most hacks done by most auto mechanics will be too pricey vs just trying other solutions, and I dont know how dramatically they change the risk..

I'm really worried about that run thru the rockies. The best option MIGHT be a bottle of Trans-X and taking it slow at half throttle in 2nd gear up the rockies (and wondering if there's a route from denver that is somehow easier on a trans than others).

If she finds work (and she's willing, thats why she's going to Cal) in the Denver area, or even along the way (Salt Lake City, or Reno?) for a day or three at a time she could hopefully have a little reserve money too or/and I wouldn't have to send as much... keeping it in reserve for if something bad did happen.

Last edited:
I have a co-worker that was homeless. She did have a truck and a dog. The dog kept her warm in the winter.

I don't have mechanical advice, but will say a prayer for your friends. Take care!

If it's slipping, reach under the vehicle, driver's side of the trans, there's a bolt on it. Give it a half turn clockwise. That'll raise your line pressure, might give you enough to make it to where you need to be.

Originally Posted by SnowDrifter
If it's slipping, reach under the vehicle, driver's side of the trans, there's a bolt on it. Give it a half turn clockwise. That'll raise your line pressure, might give you enough to make it to where you need to be.

I would literally have to have someone document this for sure with a picture on the 4L60E if true - i'm not the one that has to follow the advice, a woman with no real mechanical background is. OR possibly a friendly person at an Autozone or Orielly's who is willing to turn a bolt for her as she shows an online forum post... if he's not paranoid of screwing her vehicle up and leaving her worse off/most i'm sure wouldn't get involved or take a risk for $9.50/hour.

I thought line pressure on the E models (4L60E 2001 Buick Century) would be entirely controlled by the TV valve.

Last edited:
All of this advice but who is going to do the checking or adding or adjusting ? No money to take it to a repair shop and no employee at an auto parts store will risk following some random quick fix from some random person on an internet forum.

Originally Posted by columnshift
4L60E

Again, that car is front wheel drive, and the transmission is a 4T, and my bad, if it's a 2001 it's a 4T65-E.

If it's going the way most of them do, it will make it to CA without doing anything, because it's only slipping on shifts. Have her put it in 3rd going up long grades, stay under 60, and check the (engine) oil because it will use more than usual.

TransX probably will help, some. No, you cannot add TransX to a full transmission without taking an equal amount of fluid out. Do not overfill! And the only easy way to get it out is suck it from the dipstick tube with something. There is no drain plug.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by MrMoody
Originally Posted by columnshift
4L60E

Again, that car is front wheel drive, and the transmission is a 4T, and my bad, if it's a 2001 it's a 4T65-E.

If it's going the way most of them do, it will make it to CA without doing anything, because it's only slipping on shifts. Have her put it in 3rd going up long grades, stay under 60, and check the (engine) oil because it will use more than usual.

TransX probably will help, some. No, you cannot add TransX to a full transmission without taking an equal amount of fluid out. Do not overfill! And the only easy way to get it out is suck it from the dipstick tube with something. There is no drain plug.

So if nothing else I should ask "is it slipping ONLY on shifts vs just flooring it in general?" and if it's only slipping on shifts... let it get into 3rd (which I assume is direct?) which should HAVE no bands to slip or misshift or apply once there, drive safe, and it should be fine.

Also the prev advice of making sure the trans is full of fluid obviously, and maybe how pink/red/brown/stinky - i'll ask her to send a picture.

Also mini crisis is HOPEFULLY soon over - she found someone apparently to get some temporary work with, she's waiting in Denver to build a little money. The only thing left for me to answer is what to try or do or diagose about the trans. Her goal is still california where she also has family. (just family not in a position to help more than they originally did apparently to get the car or something)

Originally Posted by AntsinmyEyes
we have very low unemployment here and winters not too harsh. I would much rather be here than commifornia if i was her.

Is there really that big of a difference in the two states?

Originally Posted by rsylvstr
You're a good person trying to help her.

I'm glad she has a smart phone...

I'm glad you made this comment. I paid $40 dollars for my smart phone and pay $40 a month for my plan. There are even more affordable plans out there. This lady has issues yet there is no reason why she should not have a phone.

SubieRubyRoo 3. Avoid Lucas anything like $5 hookers with undercover cops on stakeout across the street. [/quote said:
Once the transmission is done due to wear Lucas will thicken the fluid up and help get the vehicle down the road for replacement.

Lucas gets a bad rap for its shady advertising of its oil treatment, it should, yet it's gear, transmission, and motor oil are up to stuff. Yet it's testimonials Lucas places are boardline RP territory on its motor oils. At least Lucas isn't promoting boating MPG testing as how it's product is superior to everthing else.

Originally Posted by dave1251
Originally Posted by AntsinmyEyes
we have very low unemployment here and winters not too harsh. I would much rather be here than commifornia if i was her.

Is there really that big of a difference in the two states?

Depends on who you ask. I love colorado for the mountains and terrain and the snow
smile.gif

California, is nice especially in Lake Tahoe area and San Jose is nice

This conversation thread can be closed by moderators btw - she's safely in California finally.

That being said I have another struggling transmission - my own 2003 Accord V6 auto - out of the blue. :-/ On the car I thought would last a good long time (and was needed for school and i'm not really in a position to get a replacement for) because the trans was rebuilt 70k ago and I assumed had had the dying trans problem solved with that rebuild but now it's occasionally shifting funny.

Now I need help more than she does cuz I wont be helping anyone (or even getting to school) if I can't keep it going a bit longer. https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...-slips-also-wont-hold-cruise#Post4894964 if anyone has any ideas...

for future reference - a couple of teaspoons of brake fluid in the ATF can get you home if it's a seal-related issue. It will/can swell the seals to build enough pressure to get you home. BUT, after that, they will/can disintegrate, and it's done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back