Elon Musk is planning his own town in Texas.

This thread reminds me of the lyrics to an old song.

“You load sixteen tons, what do you get
Another day older and deeper in debt
Saint Peter don't you call me 'cause I can't go
I owe my soul to the company store”
I almost posted that song :D

You and I are just synced up today, it seems.

The Tesla town is nothing new, as many have posted. If a high tech company wants you here, you will get a place.
The plan rent is $800 vs over 3 time that in neighboring areas.
Is it a huge change to the Austin community? You betcha. There are always winners and losers. If you cannot embrace change, I wish you good luck.

History teaches us capitalism has raised more people outta poverty than any other economic system. Musk is a capitalist extraordinaire.
Look at the growth and valuation. What is wrong with other car companies?
South Africa also at one point had very healthy economy. “Nothing “ wrong with it, right?

The plan rent is $800 vs over 3 time that in neighboring areas.

The plan was also to have the Cybertruck in production in late 2021, a $35,000 Model 3, a 1.9 second 0-60 Roadster, FSD 3.0 to 4.0 hardware retrofits, 1 million robotaxis, always free supercharging, solar/battery powered superchargers...

17fc89da63b8a1e2cee12b5574ec0b58.jpg

Google is doing a similar thing in an older part of San Jose.
"The San Jose City Council approved Google’s Downtown West project almost a year ago, following three years of intense negotiations. The multi-billion-dollar development, which will take about a decade to complete, will cover 80 acres near Diridon Station—and Google anticipates up to 25,000 people working in its downtown offices. The campus will feature 7.3 million square feet of office space, 4,000 residences, 15 acres of parks, and a large community center. Roughly a quarter of the housing is slated to be affordable."

There will be Doctors and Dentists; you never have to leave work! Yippie!
I live in this area--Delmas Park. The apartments are going up right now, with plans posted for much more.

Alternatively, Google is slowing their roll. Last week it was announced that due to telecommuting and employee reductions, the plan is delayed.

BTW I would maybe consider a move to Galt Gulch or Musktown. I like Texas.

In todays WSJ there is a front page article about Musk building his own town for employees outside of Austin Texas. A return of the company town, I never would have believed this could happen but who knows. Those who dislike HOA’s are really going to hate living there I’ll bet!

Elon might end up like Jim Jones with this Texas compound.

Reactions: JC1
So what will happen to renters who stop paying rent, and squat?

Will the "do as I say, not as I do" proverb apply?

How far along the Howard Hughes trajectory are we? Pretty close to the apogee, if not past it, no?

After his latest rant about his horrible life in South Africa and Silicon Valley, this is expected.
One thing is for sure, if he continues this way, somewhere, certain narcissistic behaviors will carry his name.
EM seems to be really getting under your skin.
I have found best cure for that is to in this case, ignore whatever ails you.
Leads to a lot less stress when you don't stress over things you have no control over, and won't impact your life one way or another.

My 2 cents.

EM seems to be really getting under your skin.
I have found best cure for that is to in this case, ignore whatever ails you.
Leads to a lot less stress when you don't stress over things you have no control over, and won't impact your life one way or another.

My 2 cents.
It doesn’t get under my skin, but this cult if personality is too close to my line of work, and I know where it leads.

Rent comes off your paycheck, plus whatever other utilities. Your job will dictate if you have a roof over your head or not (you get fired, you loose the apartment presumably), any complaints against you as a tenant can reflect on your job as well. What's not to like? All for the convenience of living close to work? No

This thread reminds me of the lyrics to an old song.

“You load sixteen tons, what do you get
Another day older and deeper in debt
Saint Peter don't you call me 'cause I can't go
I owe my soul to the company store”
If you hear the word "utopia " run, if it is in connection to Elon then sprint far away. The Hoover Dam project was like that. Although illegal today, many workers were paid with "tickets or coins " that were only spendable for goods at the local stores, which were owned by the people in charge of construction.

Back