Elon Musk is planning his own town in Texas.

In todays WSJ there is a front page article about Musk building his own town for employees outside of Austin Texas. A return of the company town, I never would have believed this could happen but who knows. Those who dislike HOA’s are really going to hate living there I’ll bet!

• Haha
Reactions: JC1
It would be interesting. Elon could really make it a futuristic town much like Toyota’s Woven City and a few other projects around the world. It would be a great idea to develop next generation energy and transportation among other things.

Seems a little weird for the US. That's not a bad thing, it just doesn't seem like it's been done here in modern history.

In todays WSJ there is a front page article about Musk building his own town for employees outside of Austin Texas. A return of the company town, I never would have believed this could happen but who knows. Those who dislike HOA’s are really going to hate living there I’ll bet!

Ya I read about this yesterday in the WSJ. This isn't a new idea btw. Many mill towns came into existence like this.. Henry Ford did something similar in Brazil (Google Fordlandia).

Seems a little weird for the US. That's not a bad thing, it just doesn't seem like it's been done here in modern history.
Here's a quick list of "Company Towns" in the US.

Google is doing a similar thing in an older part of San Jose.
"The San Jose City Council approved Google’s Downtown West project almost a year ago, following three years of intense negotiations. The multi-billion-dollar development, which will take about a decade to complete, will cover 80 acres near Diridon Station—and Google anticipates up to 25,000 people working in its downtown offices. The campus will feature 7.3 million square feet of office space, 4,000 residences, 15 acres of parks, and a large community center. Roughly a quarter of the housing is slated to be affordable."

There will be Doctors and Dentists; you never have to leave work! Yippie!

First he has to get past the Bastrop County politicians (who hate him) and the LCRA. He is going to have to do some serious "kissing-up" to get his personal city built. His Boring and SpaceX facilities (currently under construction) are causing major conflicts with Bastrop residents who are raising Kane with their representatives. Elon has a bad habit of pissing people off that get in his way.

Say what you will, like him or not, but money talks...
What money? He had to beg for money to buy Twitter. He was pretty quick to apologize for the latest embarrassment when he mocked that disabled worker from Island. I think every worker's compensation lawyer in the US now follows Musk on twitter.

I have no doubts that he will go after locally elected politicians in his known style: pedophiles, weirdos, sex traffickers etc. And, the latest gem, he is profiled bcs. he is white.

Rent comes off your paycheck, plus whatever other utilities. Your job will dictate if you have a roof over your head or not (you get fired, you loose the apartment presumably), any complaints against you as a tenant can reflect on your job as well. What's not to like? All for the convenience of living close to work? No thanks.

Austin and Tulsa were bidding for the new factory. Austin won with the support of the state.
The tax incentives, especially property taxes proved to be a schrewed win for Tesla. Plus there is a large labor work force that needed employment as well as engineering talent from Austin.

Rent comes off your paycheck, plus whatever other utilities. Your job will dictate if you have a roof over your head or not (you get fired, you loose the apartment presumably), any complaints against you as a tenant can reflect on your job as well. What's not to like? All for the convenience of living close to work? No thanks.

Below market rents.
Rent stability.
What's not to like?

Those of you calling it or referring to it as Galt's Gulch, what is your opinion of the many Arab/Mexican/Chinese planned 'communities' like this (probably far worse) in the US that is on-going?

Don't know what I'm talking about?

There's several areas of the country where factions have bought enormous amounts of land 'out in the middle of nowhere' and are planning/building a community for people of one race, one ethnicity, one religion. What do you think that's about?

The Tesla town is nothing new, as many have posted. If a high tech company wants you here, you will get a place.
The plan rent is $800 vs over 3 time that in neighboring areas.
Is it a huge change to the Austin community? You betcha. There are always winners and losers. If you cannot embrace change, I wish you good luck.

History teaches us capitalism has raised more people outta poverty than any other economic system. Musk is a capitalist extraordinaire.
Look at the growth and valuation. What is wrong with other car companies?

Back