Electronic governed Neon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys, I've got a question. First, I have a 1996 Dodge Neon (I know the Pinto of the 90's). I read where this car is electronically governed to a top speed of 113 Mile Per Hour. I also read that if the governer is disconnected that the car car achieve a top speed of around 130 Mile Per Hour. How do you go about doing the disconnect and if so will it haves any bad affects on the engine? Or should I just leave well enough alone?

I would think that the rev limiter would be integrated into the PCM. I would also imagine that the dealer's proprietary scanner (DRB-II) could modify that limit for you.

Naturally, I could be FOS too
confused.gif

grin.gif

quote:

To take full advantage of your Stage 1 and 2 modifications, pickup a Mopar Performance PCM for about $200. These replace your OEM power train module, are emissions exempt in all 50 states and require the use of 92-93-octane premium fuel. The rev-limit is moved up (about 7200 in the SOHC and 7400 in the DOHC engine), along with more advanced timing that improves low-end torque and throttle response.

allpar

If you remove the govenor, make sure your tires are rated for a higher speed than 112 (I believe s rated is 112mph).
So why are you needing to go 130mph? There is no need for triple digit speeds here in the US.
Even if your going to the track, you will not get near the govenor for 1/4 mile runs, and if autocrossing, you don't go that fast either.

It will take 10 minutes at full throttle, going downhill, with a tail wind, to get to 130 in a stock '96 Neon, if you get there at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back