Electrical connector insulation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just rebuilt my injectors but when I unplugged them for the first time ALL of the little pieces of rubber that are in the connectors that are used to insulate them broke.

So what can I do to keep water OUT and that doesn't damage the electrical connectors? I do off roading so I don't want water to get in there.

Can you provide some pictures?

it could range from high-temp electrical tape to paint-on electrical tap to plastic dip to dielectric grease to cutting the wire and connecting a new one with a good joint elsewhere in the engine compartment.

Its the actual plug that needs insulation. It plugs in just fine, all I need is some sort of grease to cover the connectors and plug them in. Petroleum jelly?

They sell dielectric grease specifically for that. I believe it is a silicone grease. CRC makes it, amongst others. People often use it inside spark plug boots to prevent them from sticking and help protect the connections.

But if there are conductors that are exposed that werent before, id want a physical covering item over them, not just a grease.

Take if from an old RF guy: unless a tape or caulk job is PERFECT, it's worse than no insulation/weatherproofing at all. And after a few months, it's not perfect anymore anyway. Moisture will seep in, and then can't get out. I've seen it fail with the liquid electrical tape, too.

The dielectric grease solution is better, but is not as mechanically robust, and will have to be watched, replenished, or capped over with something.

Best approach is a multi-layered method, with slight overlaps. We triple layer splices on any outside array. They stay tight.

If you can find a way to mechanically cover over the dielectric grease, that is the optimum approach. Otherwise, use the liquid tape, but layer 2x it with something else. Then it will be weatherproof.

If you can't be sure it is weatherproof, you're better off leaving it exposed. At least it can dry out better.

Basically the rubber seal on the connector that sits into the grommet on the injector connector is gone. There are no exposed wires or anything like that.

Depending on how permanent you want it I would use some silicone sealant. If things are good and clean and you give it time to cure should last a year or so.

Heat shrink works good too as a final covering.

Originally Posted By: N7Quarian
Basically the rubber seal on the connector that sits into the grommet on the injector connector is gone. There are no exposed wires or anything like that.

I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Someone on the forum (HURST??) owns a fuel injection cleaning shop. He will know.

If its part of the electrical connection then die-electric grease. If its just insulating and/or part of the crimp and/or something you hold onto while pushing into place, then liquid tape. Your choice of colors.

If its like a waterproof boot to seal things up after the connection is done, then I would look for the part at RockAuto or dealer. They got to be cheap. But you want them to come on and off.

Dielectic grease would be great, but may melt out in that hot location, depending on the angle.
Silicone RTV or other connector insulator can work great, BUT you have to have the parts really clean first. [Not just gob it on with no cleaning.] Spray brake cleaner and a toothbrush should be good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back