Electric Steering Fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife and I have a 2012 Grand Cherokee with electric power steering and I checked the fluid today and it is at the add level. My question is, does it use "regular" power steering fluid or does it require a special fluid. There is a spec that is on the P/S cap but the fluids that I have seen do not mention any specs. Thanks, Mike

Interesting, my CX-5 with EPS doesn't even have a fluid reservoir. I figured they were all like that.

My Honda S2000 has electric power steering and power steering fluid isn't needed. What the point of electric power steering and need power steering fluid ?

I just saw the eBay posting for this Green P/S fluid, wow grab your ankles on that one.

I read recently that Mercedes now uses a green ATF and its not compatible with red fluid, just wanted to point that out.

It looks like we are starting to have a major upgrade in fluids with a fill for life concept to reduce or eliminate service work.
*My 2 cents as a technician and business student.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
It is probably like the system Mazda used on the 3's when they came out. There is a fluid used, but an electronic control unit also.

Our daughter's '06 Mazda3 has EPS and uses anything DexIII.
It still has to have fluid moving through the steering rack!

Last edited:
And remember,MINIs were burning up cars due to the electric motor overheating and burning the fluid....so there is fluid there,its just not belt drive 100% of the time,only on when needed via electric motor.

Although your fluid level will fluctuate a little with temperature, I would be monitoring the underside of your vehicle for a leak. Being a 2012 make sure to get full use of your warranty coverage.

Originally Posted By: CurtisB
Although your fluid level will fluctuate a little with temperature, I would be monitoring the underside of your vehicle for a leak. Being a 2012 make sure to get full use of your warranty coverage.

Exactly what I was thinking. The fluid went somewhere or was never filled right from the beginning. The question is which is it?

Originally Posted By: Eddie
I have not been able to find a resivore in my 2014 Mazda CX5. Is there a hidden one?

Yours should be pure electric like my new Mustang. There is no pump, just an electric motor on the steering rack assembly.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby

I think it depends on the specific system Char.

I know the EPS on Chevy Cobalts used a grease filled steering rack, just like you'd see on a small FWD vehicle with no PS, and the system is assisted by a servo-motor under the dash.

Thanks for all of the replies, I was able to finally find the owners manual after my wife took it out of the Jeep so it wouldn't get lost!!
blush.gif
I am going to get a quart of fluid tomorrow. It does call for the Pentosin CHF11S or CHF202. thanks again!

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
My Honda S2000 has electric power steering and power steering fluid isn't needed. What the point of electric power steering and need power steering fluid ?

I was wondering the same thing.

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

I was wondering the same thing.

On the Mazda 3 and 5 the electric portion replaced a belt driven pump. This was before they really could make affordable all electric steering.

Originally Posted By: JTK
Originally Posted By: Char Baby

I think it depends on the specific system Char.

I know the EPS on Chevy Cobalts used a grease filled steering rack, just like you'd see on a small FWD vehicle with no PS, and the system is assisted by a servo-motor under the dash.

Thank you!
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back