Electric Cars Stink

Status
Not open for further replies.
I sure dunno what people like electric cars, boy are they dumb.

My daughter called, said the car was dead. I asked if it would turn over and she said no. When I got to the highway a local police officer was there, said that it wouldn't take a charge. We had 24 hrs, and he said please push it more to the side for working on it. My daughter said the red battery light had been on for a couple of days, groan, lecture about red lights.

I took the battry home, put it on a trickle charge with the old Sears charger, called and had to order an alternator, but bought a voltage regulator in case that was it. After about 8 hrs the battery, an Optima red top that I got on sale, seemed to be doing well, so we went out and put the battery in. I made to the bottom of the driveway before it died, maybe 10 miles of driving, pulled the battery, charged it again, and finally got the car up the driveway. Pulled the voltage regulator and found that the brushes and commuter were toast, so alternator it was. Picked it up the next day, returned the regulator, and installed it along with a new belt.

Boy electric cars are dumb.

:^)

Not trying to start a pi%#ing contest. Is that the correct battery for that car? Some alternators/voltage regulars don't like/design for AGM type batteries. Car was smart by sending a red light warning. On AGM type batteries, using an old style charger isn't recommeded since the charge rate is too high which could cause a thermal runway on the battery.

Originally Posted By: 1sttruck

Based on your description, every car that has a battery in it classifies as an "electric car".

And I'm not really sure it was the car that was dumb in this case...

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: 1sttruck

Based on your description, every car that has a battery in it classifies as an "electric car".

And I'm not really sure it was the car that was dumb in this case...

:) He is not calling the car dumb.

Originally Posted By: CivicFan

:) He is not calling the car dumb.

He wrote:
Quote:
Boy electric cars are dumb.

Honestly, I'm lost in this thread.

This is a funny thread lol. I wonder how this one is going to turn out.

36.gif

I kinda ruled out facetious when it was stated that he has a legitimate problem with the car, I just don't understand why it's being called an electric car.

What kind of "electric" car are we talking about?

A facetious one, compliments of a dead alternator as the car is only good for maybe 10 miles or so on just the battery. The failure mode was interesting as before it stopped dead the wipers came on, some lights blinked, etc. The Optima held up pretty well for being completely drained a couple of times.

Boy people lighten up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back