Electric Bottle Pump

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone seen a battery powered bottle pump to get gear oil and transfer case oil into place? At 10 cc per stoke my manual pump takes 200 strokes. Kind of boring when underneath the truck. Thanks.

Last edited:
Use a 2 holed stopper and blow into a sealed vessel....heat oil if necessary.

There are hand pump units which have collars and pick-up tubes for both quart and gallon bottles.

Plus, a teeny, battery powered pump wouldn't do well moving gear oils. You'd end up needing a "real tool".

I have never seen a battery operated gear oil pump have had and tossed a couple of those cheap plastic pumps,they take too long to pump 75w90 gear oil into a rear diff. I have found a suction gun with an extended hose to work best and much much faster.

FWIW, here is my redneck solution . . . it works well for me.

What you need:
A tube fitted snugly to the bottle cap and long enough to reach the bottom of the bottle.
Air compressor with an inflation needle

Punch a tiny hole in the lube bottle and insert needle. Admit air to force lube into transmission.

I turn the regulator on my compressor down as far as it will go. The first time I tried this, I was worried about overinflating the bottle, but the orifices in the needle are so small that this does not appear to be a practical problem. Just regulate the flow of lube with bursts of air.

Last edited:
My rig is a washing machine hose screwed to a qt gear oil bottle. I thread the hose into the filler hole and let gravity work. If I have room, I snip the nozzle and roll up the bottle like a tube of tooth paste. Havent had a vehicle yet where I couldn't get a pumpkin filled. I'm a Hacker. Other than the Rat which has a leaky front diff, they are drained and filled as needed which isn't often enough to buy a tool. I'm at the other end of the spectrum from Trav and other professionals.
grin2.gif

I've used a clear vinyl or poly hose shoved over the nipple on the gear oil bottle, routed it out the back or through a wheel-well and let it drain into the diff or gear box I-V style. It doesn't take long at all at a good room temperature.

When i had a fleet of trucks we went thru 100s of gallons of gear and transmission oil (80w90) per year. This little contraption will do the job for you but it will take two people and you got to keep an eye on things.

https://www.harborfreight.com/12-volt-dc-transfer-pump-63324.html

However for your needs i would use an oil suction gun..its less messy and will get the job done pretty fast.

https://www.harborfreight.com/oil-suction-gun-95468.html

There are better options available..but both will do the job for you a couple of times, but not make a living at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back