Elder Project, '81 Yamaha XS11 style...

Yes, the legendary Yamaha XS Eleven. ;)

My father is getting older, mid-70s. (Read the rest with deprecating irony, ok? ;) ). I look after his health by giving him difficult projects and guilting him into doing them. For example, this 15,000 original mile 1981 Yamaha XS1100 (oh yes). It was outside parked for over a decade in the rainy Pacific NW. The challenge was strong in this one, yes (read in Yoda voice). But, he's winning.

IMG-3192.JPG

Unfortunately, he had neglected to account for the fact the original bike came with an aftermarket 4-1 exhaust (which had to be meticulously rebuilt and re-coated - one pipe was crushed), and forgot to swap out the exhaust studs on the replacement head he fitted. Such amateur work; I wish I'd been around to supervise better.

A lot of Kroil (there is no substitute), ridiculous amounts of heat, and a stud puller got all but two of the studs out after the rebuilt engine was back in-frame. The remaining two were blocked by the downtubes from easy extraction. You younger folks may not know what downtubes are; Google that if needed. ;) In a massive application of "let's do everything we can to avoid the obvious" of pulling the head quickly back off, lots of work was spent. And flesh seared. Yes.

Upper right shows one of the too-short replacement head exhaust studs hiding behind a downtube.

IMG-3190.JPG

Concerned about his health and level of exercise, I suggested he crawl around on the ground and braze a bolt on the recalcitrant stud, then we just wrench it out.

IMG-3194.JPG

A glowing mark of success:

IMG-3193.JPG

I felt this was all a fantastic exercise, since I sat in a rolling office chair to the side, sipping a little Jameson's and enjoying the show.*

I hope this post helps:

A) Those of you with under-utilized, under-exercised elderly parents. Get them to work for their own benefit! (and later you can sell or enjoy their product, of course)

B) Those of you idiots like me who cannot weld with skill, maybe this will make you finally learn (as I have known I should have a long time ago! ;)

* - No I didn't just sit around but was actually involved and on the ground, too. But unfortunately, since my dad was always so good at it and around when I needed it, I never learned to weld and it irritates me... ;)

I rode one of those XS11's in the late 70s when they first came out....it had unbelievable power for the time...Good Luck with the project.

I loved those old Yamahas. Had a Seca 750 that had all the bells and whistles at the time that would really haul xxx. I think of that time as the Golden Age of Yamaha.

Had a 3 cyl XS 750 that was a smooth running machine. Had many many bikes afterwards but the XS sticks in my mind the most.

Had a 3 cyl XS 750 that was a smooth running machine. Had many many bikes afterwards but the XS sticks in my mind the most.
It is amazing that we seem to have a most memorable motorcycle. My favorite was my 1971 Kawasaki Mach lll . Other motorcycles I had after that were much better in every way , but I really loved the engine on the Mach III more than any other M/C I have owned or ridden .

It is amazing that we seem to have a most memorable motorcycle. My favorite was my 1971 Kawasaki Mach lll . Other motorcycles I had after that were much better in every way , but I really loved the engine on the Mach III more than any other M/C I have owned or ridden .
I had a '70 Mach III. The engine was either boggin' or boilin', but if it was boilin', you'd better be hanging on!

Looks very clean for a bike that sat outside for 10 years.

He's been at it a while. I should post some before and after pics of projects he/I have done. Hobby stuff so no time limite - strip it down, clean/refinish and just do it right. ;)

He had a 4th carb flodding issue after rebuilding them. I finally put my hand in the project yesterday and pulled them out and the bowls off. I found the 4th float not at all like the others. I also found them to NOT be correct to an 81 XS1100. I ID'd the carbs as actually off a 79, which makes sense since the 4-1 header would require re-jetting, and the '80 MY induced emissions restrictions could be easily solved by just swapping in an earlier rack...

IMG-3208.jpg

Three of the original floats weighed 8.97g +/- 0.01 g (amazing precision in my opinion). The 4th acting up was slightly visibly different and weighed 10.6g. (the 5th above is an extra he bought). So that made me dig into carb specs year by year and fortunately a definitive list at Hemmings.com.

As punishment for not catching this himself, I think tomorrow I'll sort out the carb issue and make him change the diff fluid in my volvo and wash and wax it. You gotta keep these old people on their toes or they just go to pot on you...

(joke)

If my memory serves, the outboard carbs have a different emulsion tube when compared to the inboard carb tubes.
Glad to see a project getting some TLC. Worked on these when they were brand new at the high altitude facility in COS.
Smoky

Back