1998 Yamaha PW80

Looking good! I kind of like the stock look however the modded look is ok too.
I agree with you there. Last night I actually ordered this kit, its a OEM replica.
decal 1.jpg

decal 2.jpg

I was a bit more money but it has a perforated tank decal so it should last longer without pealing and I dig the OEM style.

Last night I got the oil tank mounted, hooked up and filled. I marked the level so I can keep a eye on the consumption.

Since I had the hoses unhooked and they drained I'm thinking I should put some premix in the tank until I can confirm the oil is getting to the carb. Anyone have a idea what ratio I should mix up?

image001.jpg

I ordered a exhaust from ebay, I've been trying to stay away from the Chinese parts but I wasn't having much luck finding a decent OEM pipe for less that a few hundred and I need a silencer anyway as the bike didn't come with one, most guys want $100 or so shipped for a well used OEM silencer.

So I rolled the dice on this complete system for around $80 CAD shipped.
image002.jpg

Initial inspection revealed the build quality actually isn't bad and other than a ding in the heat shield it looks pretty good.

But then I mocked it up for a test fit. With the head pipe in the correct location the rear mounting hole is a inch or more out but maybe worst the expansion chamber is hitting the engine cover and the outlet port location seems to be way off also.

image003.jpg

I will have to play with it more when I have some time to see if I want to attempt to heat and bend it to fit or if that will even be possible...

Maybe you can add a spacer to get it to clear. I’m guessing you can mod it to fit. I agree with the premix initially. I’d err on the rich side, maybe 20:1.

Maybe you can add a spacer to get it to clear. I’m guessing you can mod it to fit. I agree with the premix initially. I’d err on the rich side, maybe 20:1.
It’s beyond spacers at this point. The pipe doesn’t even exit on the right side of the frame. You have to see it in person. Going to take a lot of bending

It's been a real struggle.
I spent 2 hours trying to get the new Ebay exhaust to work but gave up. It's just too far out to make it work and some parts I don't think will work no matter what so I'm going to use the old OEM head pipe and try to get the Ebay silencer to mate up with it.

After some bending I got the silencer pretty close but I will have to cut off and re-weld the mounting bracket.
image001.jpg

I should have a chance to get that done tonight.

Anyways, moving forward I picked up a new front tire and tube. So I went to switching that, managed to pinch the tube and ruined it in the final stages of installation, that's a first for me. So I removed the tire, put in another new tube and got the bead on the new tire seated.

Also I replaced that damaged dust seal on the wheel bearings with a new OEM version and it fit perfect and the wheel turns freely now like it should.
image004.jpg

I wasn't really happy with this clip and washer on the brake pedal. I didn't have the correct 12mm e-clip and the washer is too big so I just ordered the OEM parts from the dealer. I'll have to get a set of metric clips for next time I need one.

Before:
image002.jpg

After:
image003.jpg

As I said in a earlier post the bracket on the silencer needs to be moved about 0.5" to the rear.
I was going to wire wheel the paint off to prep for welding but the sand blaster was quicker.
image001.jpg

Then cut off the bracket.
image002.jpg

Welded bracket back on.
image003.jpg

Cleaned up the splatter with a sanding wheel and sprayed some header paint on.
image004.jpg

The header paint actually looked quite good so I did the whole exhaust with it. Also I used the heat shield from the ebay exhaust that didn't work out. Looks not bad IMO.
image005.jpg

Someone had mentioned the rear brake actuator rod being bent and I hadn't really noticed it myself to be honest, figured that was just the way it was suppose to be but after checking some pictures it is suppose to be strait. Was a pretty easy fix using some smooth jaws in the vice.

Before:
image007.jpg

After:
image008.jpg

The rear plastics has a split in it. I wasn't really concerned about this at all but the sticker for the side panel doesn't match up, the aftermarket panel shape. I was surprised to see it was only $30 for a new OEM one from the dealer so I went that route.

Old cover:
image001.jpg

New cover and also a new kick starter(Old one had a lot of play).
image002.jpg

It’s looking great! Is there a spoke missing from the rear wheel or is that an optical illusion?
It’s missing. I haven’t looked into it myself but from what I understand they are hard to find the OEM replacement. I think they are from a company in Germany? I have to do more research, I just heard that from a guy on YouTube that was fixing up a clapped out pw80 also.

Awesome job! The first bike I got was a ratted out '79 KX80. 43 years later, I still remember me and my dad working on it like it was yesterday. I'm glad to see you doing this for your kids.

Awesome job! The first bike I got was a ratted out '79 KX80. 43 years later, I still remember me and my dad working on it like it was yesterday. I'm glad to see you doing this for your kids.
Similar experience here, mine was (I think) a late 70s RM80. It was also pretty rough and didn't run, I can still remember working on it with my dad as well. Later we made a mid 80s Honda 450 Nighthawk from 3 parts bikes. I'll never forget it.

Now you got me heading off to marketplace to search for clapped out 450 Nighthawks...

Last nights progress:

As I stated before the bars that it came with are too low to have good egos for the rider, these design these bikes with high and narrow bars. I wanted to just get a set of OEM bars but they don't make them anymore and from what I've read they bend easy. I was able to find this set of pro taper bars that have the correct bend and will be much stronger that what it came with.
image001.jpg

Got the throttle tube mounted up:
image002.jpg

When to install the brake perch only to realize its a slide on design, so off it came and then installed the brake perch and then the throttle. Adjusted the front brake. Also I swapped the pro taper bar pad cover for a Yamaha one.
image004.jpg

Now that I have the bike off the table I remembered I wanted to check compression.
image005.jpg

117 PSI is on the low side for a PW80 from what I've read but should still run. Will probably put a piston in it over the winter.

I thought I would take a picture to show the parts I've been waiting on for the throttle cable assembly.
image006.jpg

There is a little plastic yoke that connects the cable and then a cap that seals up the whole thing. That's what I've been waiting on. I had to order them from the US(I'm in Canada) and they were a special order from Yamaha with a wait, then UPS lost the package and we had to start the whole process over again. Looks like the second set has just started its journey north, fingers crossed they actually make it to me.

Next up is this strap. It mounts right behind the seat. I had figured this was added by someone but after some research this was actually a OEM thing from Yamaha. It's very useful for lifting the bike into the truck so I decided to make a new one from a random strap that was probably from a kids bag or something.
image007.jpg

image008.jpg

Then I got the gas tank out and gave the outside good clean.
Figured I should take the petcock off and just make sure the screens are clear and just get a idea of their condition.
image001.jpg

Petcock looks great so I cleaned up the gasket and smeared on a light coat of silicone paste and reassembled.
image002.jpg

Then went to installing the tank on the bike.
I knew the gas tank(all the plastics) were Chinese aftermarket when I bought the bike so this is no surprise. The aftermarket gas tank and the new OEM side covers aren't going to work together. It's worse in person than in the pics.
image003.jpg

image004.jpg

So for now I'll use the old aftermarket cracked side covers and look for a used OEM tank over the winter.
I did pick up this hold down strap for the back of the tank so it's not just bouncing around:
image006.jpg

I picked up some blue fuel line to match the vent lines but the size was wrong so I put on some new clear fuel line and new spring clamps:
image005.jpg

Then went to install the airbox only to find out I riveted the mounting brackets on backwards so it came apart and I had to redo the rivets, then installed it successfully.
image007.jpg

Still needs the front fender and looks like I need to move the handle bars back a bit but at this point I should be ready to put in some premix and hopefully fire it up!

I think some place like Buchanan’s will make you a single spoke to spec for not that much.

Back