ELC coolant to replace Dexcool?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been reading too much about different coolants and now I've just about confused myself. :) I recently bought a 2000 Silverado, and I'm changing all the fluids. It has the 5.3L and is totally stock.

I was originally planning on using OEM Dexcool, but the stuff in the radiator is not that. It's sort of green like old school coolant but also a bit on the yellow side, possibly "universal" antifreeze. Appears to be clean but I'm changing it anyway. I'm going to flush it out completely with some radiator cleaner and a bunch of distilled water, so there will be no original fluid leftover.

Can I use the red ELC type coolant like they use in diesel trucks with this system? I don't know much about Dexcool other than there is controversy over it so I'd prefer to use something else and this is my first LS based engine. Will it be OK with the iron block/aluminum head combo? I already have some ELC coolant I can use leftover from a different truck and it seems like it should last a long time.

When I sold TRP coolant it was marketed as an OAT coolant which is what I believe Dexcool is. They specifically stated that it was compatible with a Dexcool type coolant. I did catch them in some misinformation in their literature so I would use caution. See what others think.

universal coolant in there is likely going to be of dexclone variety. ELC is usually just a NOAT and you wouldn’t gain much from the added nitrites

consider prestone with cor-guard, ford has retired dexcool in favor of it

Last edited:
I suggest Zerex G-05...

It’s a hybrid, HOAT, but without the plastic munching 2-EHA of Dexcool...

Rock Auto has good prices, but watch the shipping...

Make sure you keep the expansion tank filled to the “HOT” line when the vehicle is cold.

Make sure you drop in two crushed Bars Leak tablets...
GM puts these in at the factory...

GM part #12378255

How about Zerex "Original Green" then? I use that in other vehicles also, so I'd like to stay with something I already use. (and keep around) The bottle says "GM 1996 and older" but I've been lied to by a bottle before...

How about Zerex "Original Green" then? I use that in other vehicles also, so I'd like to stay with something I already use. (and keep around) The bottle says "GM 1996 and older" but I've been lied to by a bottle before...

Why, just why?

The vehicle was designed for Dex. Someone probably maintained it with some sort of AMAM coolant that is a dex clone.

OP should fully flush the system since whatever is in there is unknown, and then do a short-term run with dex or the cor-guard prestone, and then drain and refill for the long-term.

Why, just why?

The vehicle was designed for Dex. Someone probably maintained it with some sort of AMAM coolant that is a dex clone.

OP should fully flush the system since whatever is in there is unknown, and then do a short-term run with dex or the cor-guard prestone, and then drain and refill for the long-term.
If I was going to use Dexcool I could have just read the manual.:rolleyes: Lots of people do not like Dexcool, I clearly indicated I do not want to use it. Why? Because it's my truck and I'll do as I please with it. Additionally, as I also explained, it would be good to use a fluid I already use in other cars and already keep around. I'm going to be flushing it no matter what so why put an inferior product back in? I don't care what it was "designed" for. GM designed lots of things that turned out to be a disaster. That was also 21+ years ago. It's an iron block aluminum head engine. It's cooling requirements are not different than any other iron block aluminum head engine.

If you aren't going to bother reading a post don't offer "advice".

If I was going to use Dexcool I could have just read the manual.:rolleyes: Lots of people do not like Dexcool, I clearly indicated I do not want to use it. Why? Because it's my truck and I'll do as I please with it. Additionally, as I also explained, it would be good to use a fluid I already use in other cars and already keep around. I'm going to be flushing it no matter what so why put an inferior product back in? I don't care what it was "designed" for. GM designed lots of things that turned out to be a disaster. That was also 21+ years ago. It's an iron block aluminum head engine. It's cooling requirements are not different than any other iron block aluminum head engine.

Conventional green coolant is inferior in every metric compared to Dexcool. You would be better served by ELC without a doubt.

I did read your post, and still scratch my head. Silicates green is going backward, for what?!? Another bottle isn’t that much less convenient.

I own a 98 Chevy pickup, all original cooling system, complete with the diagonal radiator entry, and dexcool. I guess I didn’t get the memo that I should change away from it. Clearly the inferior product you’re speaking of isn’t that inferior. Never had a hint of Dex sludge or any of the other issues folks had from poor coolant handling practices.

I fully get wanting to stock less, but frankly, a consumed 1 gallon bottle of antifreeze isn’t the worlds most challenging logistics.

And silicates green is going in the wrong direction in terms of coolant tech. No other way to put it.

You might have been onto something in op with the ELC thing. But green? No thanks. If you had rationale to go to a low silicate like G-05, that’s one thing, but that’s not the case.

Me personally, I stock G-05, G-48, Honda blue, dexcool and John Deere Cool Gard II. My iron block, aluminum head diesel will be getting the JD coolant. They all fit on one small shelf in my garage. Not a big deal. Frankly, that’s my pick for your mixed metal engine, but it doesn’t meet your criteria.

So I find myself wondering why the "staff member" is the only one here arguing and throwing a fit about somebody else's engine, and we find ourselves back at the original question:
Can I use the red ELC type coolant like they use in diesel trucks with this system? I don't know much about Dexcool other than there is controversy over it so I'd prefer to use something else

Wow. It's almost like I already said that...

Been using the green in cars since "intermittent wipers" was a feature...never had a problem with it. Also looking at the bottle of Zerex Green that clearly says "low silicate".

I'll use plain water before I start using Dexcool in a truck that already doesn't have any and probably hasn't for many years. At a minimum the radiator is new and it's never tasted Dexcool.

Last edited:
I'd flush it with distilled water 2 or 3 times and fill it with PEAK 10X or Prestone Corguard and forget about it for 6 or 7 years.

So I find myself wondering why the "staff member" is the only one here arguing and throwing a fit about somebody else's engine, and we find ourselves back at the original question:

Wow. It's almost like I already said that...

Been using the green in cars since "intermittent wipers" was a feature...never had a problem with it. Also looking at the bottle of Zerex Green that clearly says "low silicate".

I'll use plain water before I start using Dexcool in a truck that already doesn't have any and probably hasn't for many years. At a minimum the radiator is new and it's never tasted Dexcool.
I guess the memo that dexcool was inferior and that my 98 Chevy would fail on it was misplaced along with the memo that said I’m not allowed to have an opinion.

I find your logic faulty and your response childish. I don’t buy into wife’s tales much.

Funny too how now you have morphed from the original title indicating ELC to “green”. So which is it and what’s your rationale? You realize that many ELCs aren’t that much unlike Dex? You realize that 2-EHA is now ubiquitous? You realize that a low silicate HOAT is different than “low silicate” green? You realize that ingestion of those “green” antifreezes is actually much of what gave Dex a bad name?

Last edited:
Low silicate conventional only exists here for a reason, it is subpar. BASF rebrands G05 as classic car antifreeze and this is true for most of the globe.

Most ELCs are functionally identical to dexcool, with or without added nitrites depending on the application. the green in your truck is without a doubt a dexclone, they’ve been the standard universal antifreeze since the mid 2000s.

Last edited:
Low silicate conventional only exists here for a reason, it is subpar. BASF rebrands G05 as classic car antifreeze and this is true for most of the globe.

Most ELCs are functionally identical to dexcool, with or without added nitrites depending on the application. the green in your truck is without a doubt a dexclone, they’ve been the standard universal antifreeze since the mid 2000s.

Agree 100%

I guess the memo that dexcool was inferior and that my 98 Chevy would fail on it was misplaced along with the memo that said I’m not allowed to have an opinion.

I find your logic faulty and your response childish. I don’t buy into wife’s tales much.

Funny too how now you have morphed from the original title indicating ELC to “green”. So which is it and what’s your rationale? You realize that many ELCs aren’t that much unlike Dex? You realize that 2-EHA is now ubiquitous? You realize that a low silicate HOAT is different than “low silicate” green? You realize that ingestion of those “green” antifreezes is actually much of what gave Dex a bad name?
I didn't say you aren't allowed to have an opinion. I said I don't want to use dexcool and I made that explicitly clear in my first post. It doesn't matter why, I don't need a reason. If I say that you should not be telling me to use dexcool. My logic is not "faulty" because I have not offered you any logic. All you have done is argue and post nothing of value here.

As for the green question, somebody else CLEARLY suggested another Zerex product. I simply asked about one I have already. Nothing "morphed", just the typical idiots can't stay on topic problem most forums have.

You really suck at forums. A staff member is supposed to set an example, not attack people.

You really suck at forums. A staff member is supposed to set an example, not attack people.

Ditto. I asked why, specific to the question about green. Look at what I quoted and commented on. And based upon experience, gave an opinion to stick with Dex. The fact that you don’t want or like it, doesn’t mean that it’s not a valid position to offer. I made the point that you might well have an AMAM Dex clone that’s green in there. Yet YOU attack me over it.

I also mentioned JD Cool Gard II. Again, based upon experience. You overlooked that because it doesn’t meet your narrow view of the world. If you already made your decision, why ask anything at all? Discussion here means taking other opinions.

You’re making a mountain out of a molehill, and making claims for reasons unknown. I am allowed to answer when you call out things like that.

Last edited:
I never once asked "what kind of coolant should I use" or "what do you think I should use?". I specified a very specific coolant and asked if that would work. That's it. That's the only thing we should be talking about. You have a reading comprehension problem.

If I was curious about, or cared about any other, I would have asked. I'm not, and again, I don't need to explain why.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back