Question about Caterpillar ELC antifreeze

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can not find much about Caterpillar ELC antifreeze on here. I have a 1993 Ford F350 truck with the 7.3 diesel engine. I drive this truck only about 1-2 thousand miles a year hauling a truck camper. For about the last 6 years I have used Cat ELC antifreeze in it with no problems. Looks as good as the day I put it in. I am about to do a flush and change and want to know if I should stick with the Cat ELC or use something else. I know Ford recommends the old green stuff with the additive, but since I have had no problems with the Cat ELC, would it be okay to continue using it?

There are as many opinions as there are choices of antifreeze on what to use for coolant in today’s and yesterdays engines. The main concern is electrolysis between steel and aluminum. The additive package is what will tell you if it is "safe" or beneficial to use as extended service life antifreeze. The silica level is a consideration also. Low silica is preferred nowadays. Electrolysis happens when the coolant strays from a neutral, to a base or an acid, and starts storing voltage. Then erosion of metal parts in the cooling system starts. Then comes the leaks. This happens all the time with the old Green stuff after 3 or more years when the cooling system gets dirty or the additive package wears out. The issue is worse with multi metal construction steel/aluminum engines. Find out if the Caterpillar guys are using this fluid in engines simuliar in construction as your 7.3.

I think the CAT ELC is 2EHA based and a dexclone. It might have nitrites for extra cavitation protection. It probably provides good protection of the metals and a long life as long as the coolant level remains full. I assume your truck has an aluminum radiator. The real question is whether your gaskets are fully compatible with 2EHA. Gasket degradatuion is a slow process that takes many miles and some time.

I know that was an issue with the IH T444e engines. When International started switching over to the red extended life coolant in their trucks the water pump o-rings between the block and pump would start leaking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back