Egg Nog...love it or hate it?

I like eggnog, but yeah calorie BOMB. Just a little each Christmas. I tried the Almond Breeze kind..............uck, weird.

I really like the Southern Comfort labelled eggnog - no it does not have alcohol (odd right?) and even more odd, it's not as sweet as some of the dairy brands. Hard to find though. I've only seen it in Safeway.

I like to add just a little spiced rum and a little whisky in equal amounts. Just so it's way in the background, maybe 1/2 oz each , and no not to get drunk (that /would be the worst.............die of an alcoholic diabetic coma!!)
I bought my first carton of Southern Comfort nog of the season. It's tastes OK, a bit different...............BUT I read the ingredients. Angry. It has HFCS! I think they changed the recipe, not sure. So I diluted it 50/50 with unsweetened almond milk - to dilute the poison. It is acceptable as a morning beverage before some kind of exercise.

We bought a quart of Trader Joe's oat based egg nog. Have not opened yet. Here goes!

:LOL:

:ROFLMAO:

I bought my first carton of Southern Comfort nog of the season. It's tastes OK, a bit different...............BUT I read the ingredients. Angry. It has HFCS! I think they changed the recipe, not sure. So I diluted it 50/50 with unsweetened almond milk - to dilute the poison. It is acceptable as a morning beverage before some kind of exercise.

We bought a quart of Trader Joe's oat based egg nog. Have not opened yet. Here goes!

:LOL:

:ROFLMAO:
Maybe you got a different SC?
They have spiced and unspiced
I caught the HFCS last year.
Amazing how many things have it that you might not expect
All the chocolate sauces including Hershey’s
Not Ghirardelli though so I got that

Nothing like a good eggnog. I stick with non alcoholic stuff and drink very little these days.

I wonder if the younger generations appreciate eggnog or stay away from it?

The key is to insist on ONLY Warnink's Advocaat. They use only 4 ingredients: egg yolks, brandy, sugar and vanilla.
Sure, Bols also makes one, but it has all sorts of creative garbage in it.
In other parts of the world, Hula Hoop is an egg liqueur that's free of junk.

It's easy to make yourself anyway. All you need is milk, cream, sugar, egg yolks, vodka, brady, and vanilla bean.

The oat milk stuff is not terrible, but it's not egg nog. No eggs! Taste. Is different.

Bought a quart of Darigold light Egg Nog (on sale at Fred Meyer). Not bad at all. Doesn't hardly taste light really.

So............I blended the two 50/50. Delicisiousicessness!! Will try with some booze added in tonight.

We usually make this vegan egg nog recipe over the holidays.
We use fresh ground nutmeg and DO NOT run it thru a strainer (nice and thick and full of natural fiber from the dates and cashews).
We also substitute a can of coconut cream for the water for a creamier taste (more similar to the real thing). So a batch will only be about 2.5 cups or 700ml. When blending, sparingly add water to maintain a thick and rich consistency (or add based on personal preference). If the cashews aren't fully hydrated before blending, they will continue to absorb the liquid thereby naturally thickening the mixture further. Be careful not to add too much water, as adding alcohol will further thin the mixture.

It's filling (a single batch is easily enough for two ppl.), yet not overly sweet. A cup with some rum is nicely satisfying (all the fats, fiber etc.), with a boozy twist
🥃

As an added bonus, the leftovers go great on waffles the next morning 🧇
😋

Last edited:
66A05885-3E4E-4AC0-A94C-6DB74EAA2AA2.jpeg

This is the best brand in my opinion. I’ve done downed 4 glasses of it since I’ve been home. Going to need more lol.

Back