Eggs - shocking prices

Status
Not open for further replies.
After seeing so many posts about eggs, I decided to get some. My wife has been ordering groceries for delivery for the past few months and I pretty much don't know how much food costs nowadays. It was quite a shock.

North of $7.50 for a dozen eggs. Then I looked at other things and wow!

How are people making ends meet? I highly doubt that incomes have increased like the food costs have.

I got eggs this weekend and had to look back at history, the same product has nearly doubled in the last 5 months.

Haven't looked up why that's the case. It's not every food increasing at these rates at least.

[QUOTE="I What kind of soil do you grow them in?
[/QUOTE]

High moly soil delivers extra protein.

Wow, that is a lot, I'm sure in a few months eggs will be quite cheap though, at $7.50/doz, there's going to be lots of farms increasing their flocks....
Supply management here still has XL eggs at $4.39/doz at our. Of course they are always that much, even a couple years ago when eggs were very cheap in the US.

I got eggs this weekend and had to look back at history, the same product has nearly doubled in the last 5 months.

Haven't looked up why that's the case. It's not every food increasing at these rates at least.

High moly soil delivers extra protein.
It's not just inflation, it's also Avian flu:

Eggs are now $7, four times the cost of what they once were.

In addition to inflation, an outbreak of the bird flu has impacted the price of eggs.

Production from chickens has plummeted, making it harder to find eggs in the grocery store.

“The demand for eggs, we have never seen it like it is now,” says Hershal Tyles.

Here's the inflation breakdown for November 2022 — in one chart​

These are some of the core categories, plus other items with notable year-over-year price changes.
The horizontal bars show notable year-over-year percent changes in prices for various consumer categories from the consumer price index from November 2022.
Table with 2 columns and 30 rows. Currently displaying rows 1 to 30.
Eggs49.1%

49.1%
49.1%
Airfare36%

36%
36%
Butter + margarine34.2%

34.2%
34.2%
Public transportation23.8%

23.8%
23.8%
Lettuce19.8%

19.8%
19.8%
Cereals + bakery products16.4%

16.4%
16.4%
Pet food15.7%

15.7%
15.7%
Utility (piped) gas service15.5%

15.5%
15.5%
Milk14.7%

14.7%
14.7%
Stationery supplies + gift wrap14.3%

14.3%
14.3%
Electricity13.7%

13.7%
13.7%
Health insurance13.5%

13.5%
13.5%
Poultry13.1%

IIRC, I paid 3.80(ish) for a dozen Kroger brand large just a couple days ago.
As a guy who used to have 6 laying hens, I don't see how they can sell them that cheap.

hey hey hey inflation was only 6%
Its the new math. eggs went from 1.79 to 4 that is 6%
/sarcasm.

Edit: Inflation passed me by
old price(current price) used to buy 18pk eggland best for 3.39(6.69) or store brand 12pack for 1.79($5.29)

$5.79 a doz large brown.

No Biggie. Got five farms around me for 3.00 a dozen or less.

What is insane is Corn chips cost per oz. likely due to the continued Ethanol for fuel idiocy

So I changed to Fajita wraps that I moisten then steam them in the microwave for a min.

"Brown eggs are Local Eggs and Local Eggs are Fresh."

Used to hear that jingle on the T.V. decades ago.

This is going to all end with a big bang. The next 2 years are going to be very telling in this country. We have gone past the point of no return. Over $9 TRILLION DOLLARS of personal wealth has been wiped out in the stock market alone, in just the last 2-1/2 years.

Coupled with over $6 TRILLION that has been added to the debt. And now they want to spend another $4.8 TRILLION we don't have. That is unfathomable. And it's not going to get any better with the same current crop of idiots running the show. This cannot continue without catastrophic results.

Bird flu 53 m birds put down. Inflation just a small part.

My Grandfather mentioned when he was a kid that his mother had a wheel barrow full of money to buy a loaf of bread in Germany. Her biggest fear was being robbed of the wheel barrow not the money. So paying $7.50 for a dozen eggs doesn't sound so bad.

Colorado now has a law that requires cage free eggs as of 2023. This has also limited supply. I've always tried to purchase free range eggs but yeah ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back