Effects 10W30 oil can have on 5W30 engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: THafeez
Hey everyone,
Last time I changed my oil, the mechanic recommended using 10W30 rather than 5W30. 5W30 is what the owners manual says to use. He said that because its an older car, the engines seals can wear out and a thicker oil can help to minimize leaks, burning etc...

He doesn't know what he's talking about there.

IF your car was leaking, and all it ever got was half mile commutes, then the 10W30 MIGHT be a little thicker when cold...if most of your operation is warm, then no difference.

Viscosity is a very poor remedy for oil leaks...i.e. doesn't really work that way.

Originally Posted By: THafeez
So what benefits can using a 10W30 have for example in the summer for a car that calls for 5W30?
Can a higher weight oil help an older engine during start up since both oils reach the same viscosity at 212C?
Does 10W30 shear slower than 5W30?

Starting in Summer, no difference between them.

Yes, a 10W30 will have lower rates of VIIs, and be (possibly) more shear stable as a result, wuthin a given brand/range of oils....HTHS will be about the same, so no really thinner or thicker in bearings and cylinder walls...10W30 may hold up better there, but it's a margin call.

Stick with 5W30 in future.

MAXLIFE
laugh.gif

If the engine doesn't consume or leak oil, then why try to solve a problem you don't have?
Between the two grades, you can flip a coin as to which to use.
It never gets cold enough where you're located to actually matter.
If you're seeing leaks or consumption of more than a quart every couple of K, you might try an HM oil.
Going from a 5W-30 to a 10W-30 will do nothing for either although it won't do any harm.
M1 HM is good as is Maxlife SB in my experience.
Your tech obviously doesn't understand the oil grading system very well and most don't, just as most people who haven't spent at least a few years here don't.

Originally Posted By: jongies3

Pretty sure most the 02 and newer Ford Crown Vic cabs in NYC all run on 5W-20 year round and you've likely seen the abuse those cars deal with on the daily and last half a million or more miles.
+1 Agree
smile.gif

Yep - Mobil 1 10w30 HM has some solid numbers - it might take looking a couple places to get them - but liked what I saw and started using that A3/B3 synthetic ...

Originally Posted By: 4WD
Yep - Mobil 1 10w30 HM has some solid numbers - it might take looking a couple places to get them - but liked what I saw and started using that A3/B3 synthetic ...

Yeah I like the look of that M1 10W30 HM A3/B3, I wish we got that stuff here.

Still, we do get a nice Castrol Magnatec 10W30 A3/B4 semi-syn here.

I'm sure the OP's mechanic was talking about an ILSAC 10W30 and as Garak says, it's not really a thicker oil compared to an ILSAC 5W30. It may be a little more shear stable and have a lower volatility - both good things, but it's not really a thicker oil, especially when warm.

A 10W should be good down to about 0F or -20 C.

A semi-syn HM 5W30 like MaxLife sounds good to me OP.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
10W-30 will ruin a 5W-30 specified engine.

OP, Merk is just joking, as he does. Like I said 10W is good down to 0F, anything above that and you are fine, and there is no real difference at operating temperature.

10W-30 will ruin a 5W-30 specified engine.

Yeah, in only a few 100,000 miles it'll drop compression and start the wheeze of death ...

Originally Posted By: SR5
OP, Merk is just joking, as he does.

Awe man... you ruined a perfectly good troll post.
lol.gif

Hahaha nice try Merk!

The 10W30 has a bit more oil in it.

Oil is a Good Thing in an engine, so the 10W30 is probably a bit better.

But not a lot.

Originally Posted By: Ducked

But not a lot.

I really hope this is a troll attempt...

Originally Posted By: Chewie
But not a lot.

I had to think on it for a second. But I think he's saying there is less VII polymer in 10W30 compared to an equivalent style 5W30.

Originally Posted By: Chewie

But not a lot.

Sadly, that wouldn't be incompatible with it being true.

Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
Use what the manufacturer specs for your vehicle.

Or don't. Its your vehicle. Please yourself.

IT DOESN'T MATTER.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back