Effect of "leftover" oil after drain

Status
Not open for further replies.
And the rest of us now know to avoid buying 0W-30 Castrol in Akron, Ohio autozone stores.

Last edited:
I always do a major top-off one driving-day before an oil change. The hot oil always appears in good condition and homogeneous when it is drained. The drain pan drains completely clean and clear on its own when left atop the used oil jug and funnel for a day. Leftover oil is recharged to some degree.

I needed the chuckle...thanks!

BTW, I leave my oil filter on for two OCI's. 7500 and 8000 miles EACH. Got UOA's to see if there were any difference, thinking the second, and longer UOA would be somewhat worse. You know, the second UOA (at 8000 miles) is a little better than the first! I say it certainly doesn't matter to have some oil left over on my Subarus. Oh, Wix filters, PP 5-30, mostly highway miles.

Quote:

And the rest of us now know to avoid buying 0W-30 Castrol in Akron, Ohio autozone stores.

Well not exactly...I travel with my job a lot and visit autozones all over the midwest, northeast, southeast...but don't worry the chances of you getting a bad bottle of my rinse oil is very remote......and wouldn't hury your engine anyway. Unless you get one of the bottles I topped off with water because I accidentally spilled some of the oil..
blush.gif

I like to drain my vehicles over night...Also with the Z06, you need to jack the rear up 8 inches or so to get a proper change...

Quote:

I know we are just being silly here, but in all seriousness, i bought a pacakge of surgical type gloves specifically for working on my car. They are GREAT for the oil filter and allow me to get a nice firm grip on it. In addition, surgical gloves are great for working on the brakes, as brakes tend to leave my ultra-white irish-boy hands nice and dirty with grime thats hard to get off.
wink.gif

Are you using latex or nitrile? Nitrile is more expensive but well worth it if you ask me. It can handle heavier duty solvents and are very hard to tear. I highly recommend them

thumbsup.gif

What about the effect of leftover dino when switching to synthetic? I'm planning on switching to Synthetic in 2000 miles or so, but i'm worried about leaving some Dino in there when I put the Synthetic in. Will this hurt anything? Should I just change it again within a couple thousand miles as a flushing period, then run the extended OCI after I change it once with synthetic and leftover dino?

Quote:

What about the effect of leftover dino when switching to synthetic? I'm planning on switching to Synthetic in 2000 miles or so, but i'm worried about leaving some Dino in there when I put the Synthetic in. Will this hurt anything? Should I just change it again within a couple thousand miles as a flushing period, then run the extended OCI after I change it once with synthetic and leftover dino?

What I do, when switching from dino to syn, is make my first syn OC a bit shorter than what I normally would. Then it's business as usual.

I always use synthetic to rinse my engine several times that way I know it is completely spotless inside before I put the new oil in. Anything else would just be too disturbing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back